A POA community appeal

astanley

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew Stanley
Hello fellow POA'ers,

Some of you may have noticed my signature on my posts - appealing for donations for my Pan-Mass Challenge fundraiser. As the event approaches, I've decided to appeal to the wider community of Pilots of America. The POA Management Council has graciously allowed me to post this appeal here in Hangar Talk, and I'd like to personally thank the entire council for their support.

This year, I decided to ride the Pan-Mass Challenge, the nation's largest non-profit athletic fundraising event. The Pan-Mass challenge directly benefits the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and the Jimmy Fund, two organizations supporting doctors, researchers, patients and their families who are fighting cancer. 99% of the funds raised by riders, like me, go directly to the Jimmy Fund and DFCI.

My decision to ride was made this past December, the 27th in fact.

I was out for a mid-winter bike ride, a road ride that takes me past my sister's house. My sister, Meghan, lives with her boyfriend, Brett. Brett and I became good friends while he was in high school, but became best friends after Meghan started dating him. They live one town over from my fiancee and I, and I frequently ride past their house.

This particular day, I had ridden by their house and decided to stop in - and instead of just Brett being home, my sister was there as well. They had found a mass in Brett's knee a few weeks prior - two weeks for Christmas, in fact - and he was going into Boston for a follow-up on the 28th. When I walked in the living room, my sister and Brett were sharing Brett's recliner, my sister extremely upset.

Brett's oncologist had called an hour before, and apologized to Brett for discussing this over the phone, but he needed to prepare Brett for a much longer follow-up visit than he was originally planning. Brett's biopsy was back, and indeed the mass they had found behind his knee was cancer. Brett had an extremely virulent form of osteosarcoma, and his oncologist wanted to begin an aggressive treatment plan as soon as possible.

My sister was crushed, but was doing her best to keep her emotions down. I asked Brett how he felt, and he said "I'd be lying to you if I said I wasn't sad. I'm depressed, but I'm going to beat this". I was amazed, as was my sister, to hear someone who had just been dealt some pretty difficult news was so optimistic. I don't know if I'd be the same way.

Fast forward to the end of March: Brett has gone through 2 full 5 week cycles of chemotherapy, a mix of methotrexate and doxorubin (given in separate doses), which has stopped the growth of the tumor. Brett has also just gone through surgery to remove the tumor and surrounding bone - the top 2" of his right tibia - successfully. In fact, post op testing of the remaining tumor found less than 10% live cancer cells, which given the nature of his cancer, was a remarkable achievement.

Brett's surgery was groundbreaking - the amount of bone, his age, and the nature of the cancer all made the allograft he received unique - with the supporting research for this operation funded by the Dana Farber Cancer Institute.

Today, Brett is going through rehab and post-op chemo. He'll be at my wedding this fall, and hopefully, his rehab will have progressed to the point where he can ride a few miles of the PMC with me this summer. His prognosis is great and he is winning his battle against cancer every single day.

My goal is to raise $4,000 for the Pan Mass Challenge this year. The PMC requires a minimum commitment of $3,300 in funds raised; and I hope to surpass this goal in my first year.

You can contribute to our fundraiser by clicking the following link: http://www.pmc.org/egifts/giftinfo.asp?EgiftID=AS0156

I'd like to thank you all for reading so far, and I hope you'll be able to support the Pan-Mass Challenge, and my fundraiser, for cancer research.

Thanks all,

-Andrew

Brett, smiling post op:

63526854-M.jpg

Thanks to the two POA'ers who have stepped up and pledged so far! Your donation is appreciated!

Cheers,

-Andrew

Elizabeth,

You sure can. The easiest way is to send it to me directly, and I include it in my normal deposits to the PMC. You can also send it directly to the PMC, if you choose.

If you prefer to send it to me, PM me and I'll give you my home address.

If you prefer to send it direct to the PMC, please send it to:

Andrew Stanley, AS0156
Pan-Massachusetts Challenge
77 4th Avenue
Needham, MA 02494

No matter which method you choose, please make all checks out to:

PMC-Jimmy Fund

Thanks for asking Elizabeth... and thanks to all for their support!

Cheers,

-Andrew

Hi Andrew...Brett is handsome without any hair. He looks like he is in GREAT spirits.

I saw my friends daughter the other day (she has cancer too) and sadly she has lost all her hair. She was wearing wig, made of real hair from Locks of Love, and it looked AWESOME on her. Niki looked amazing, as if she wasn't sick.

My friend Robyn raised money for St. Baldricks this past spring:

http://www.stbaldricks.org

Click on make a donation (you don't have to make a donation when you click on this link) then search for a shavee. Under last name type in Mikols to see her picture.

Andrew I too will be sending a check.

Hope everything works out for Brett.

etsisk said:
Ok, Andrew - I'm in. I left you a message when I did the donation.

Tom! Thanks a million for your support - I can't say this enough, our community here at POA has really stepped up to help out.

Best,

-Andrew

HPNFlyGirl said:
Hi Andrew...Brett is handsome without any hair. He looks like he is in GREAT spirits.

I saw my friends daughter the other day (she has cancer too) and sadly she has lost all her hair. She was wearing wig, made of real hair from Locks of Love, and it looked AWESOME on her. Niki looked amazing, as if she wasn't sick.

My friend Robyn raised money for St. Baldricks this past spring:

http://www.stbaldricks.org

Click on make a donation (you don't have to make a donation when you click on this link) then search for a shavee. Under last name type in Mikols to see her picture.

Andrew I too will be sending a check.

Hope everything works out for Brett.

Brett was doing great - the treatment had proceeded as planned, he was happy, and the tumor was GONE - it was really a great moment.

My finacee, Jessie, and a number of her friends - they all have very long hair - have all donated significant portions of their hair to Locks of Love. Bethany donated over 1' of hair the last time she donated - which was pretty spectacular.

Brook, thanks for the donation - I appreciate it greatly, but the DFCI and Jimmy Fund appreciate most of all.

Thanks!

-Andrew

What a great weekend! Thanks to all of you who continue to contribute. The most recent update I got doesn't include any by-mail giving; it's only what's online - so the generosity of POA is sure to continue!

Thanks again all for your time and effort - DFCI and the Jimmy Fund appreciate it!

-Andrew

Hey all!

Just a quick update... more POA'ers have stepped up to the plate, some by mail, others online - thanks to every single one of you for your support!

I have a unique proposition... I have a $250 Callaway Golf Gift Card I was given to "auction" away to raise money for the PMC. It's good for $250 in merchandise from Callaway Golf directly - everything from Drivers to Polo shirts. (I know this isn't an aviation gift... but I know there are a number of golfers here!)

I'm going to offer it up here first - bidding starts at $75. Please PM me your bid - highest conforming bid by 4:00 PM, June 30th wins the card.

All of the proceeds from your bid will go direct to the PMC.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Hey all! I leave tonight for the start of the PMC.

The community at POA has REALLY stepped up and supported me big time. While all who donated will get a personal letter, along with photos of the ride, I'd like to publicly thank you all - you know who you are, and you exemplify why POA "works" as an exceptional pilot community.

As I have said, I am doing this not just for Brett, but for all those who have battled cancer. If you have someone you would like remembered, please PM me today - these names will be written on a cycling jersey that I'll wear for the second day, or last 81 miles of the bike ride.

Thanks again to you all for your generous and exceptional support!!

Cheers,

-Andrew

I just did a CC donation. Have a great ride. Hopefully it should be a little cooler!

Check is written, in mail this morning. How are you doing?

and how is Brett?

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

Things are well. We had a great weekend - a bit on the warm side, but wonderful none the less. My 4 days off from work has left me so buried it's not funny, but I wanted to take a moment to jot down a few thoughts...

I spent the whole weekend in this state of euphoria - one of the riders I was with commented "If I could bottle this feeling, I wouldn't have to ask people to donate" It's so absolutely amazing. On one hand, there you are, 4,000 cyclists in bright yellow jerseys all heading towards the far eastern reach of MA - with some brutal climbs mixed in - all jazzed at 6AM as the sun rises over the road. Just a wonderful feeling. On the other hand, you see the stories - people battling cancer, people riding in memoriam of someone else, just staggering, emotional stories. Most of the ride participants (65%) are male, and anyone who claims they don't mist up or even cry over the weekend is a blazing liar. Every single one of us did at one point.

For me, there were two powerful moments the whole weekend that are above the rest. The first, on Cherry Street in Wrentham, MA (a famous street; every single house lines their front walk with red ribbon and cheers on cyclists as them come through), there was one house about halfway down with 6 green plastic chairs in their driveway. 3 of them were filled - two older folks (mid 70's), a middle aged woman (late 40's / early 50's), and three empty. The people held signs like "26 years and still beating cancer" and "10 years and still beating cancer". Two of the empty chairs were "12 years and lost the battle" and "6 months and lost the battle", with pictures. The last? "Ride strong so we don't have to put another poster in this chair" It blows you away...

The second was on the Cape Cod Rail Trail in Wellfleet, where a family of 5 was standing trailside. Three children, very young, with their parents - also young, probably within 5 years of me (I'm 26). The three children were holding a sign that said "25 miles to fight, don't give up..." and the father was holding a sign that said "... and I won't give up fighting my cancer." You see things like that and they blow you away - you touch, taste, see the face of this dreadful scourge which affects us all. 1 in 3 of us will suffer from a form of cancer in our life time - 33% - and to feel the power of that positive energy flowing is just unreal.

It was the most amazing weekend of my life. Turning the corner to the finish, I was in big ring and 11t in the rear. I got in the drops and turned on the gas. Like life, I wasn't leaving anything on the course. I wanted to cross that line a spent shell - because anything less was unfair to those who we were raising money for.

I'll post a longer story, with pictures, real soon.

Thanks for your support POA. Every person here has shown what true class acts we share the air with.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back