A&P guys - what avionics can you touch?

Can the A&P change the glass in a gyro? it's held in by a snap ring accessible from the front of the gyro, and can be done with out removal from the panel.
No. That would be entering the instrument. Certified shop only.

I have the most current instructions for airpath compasses. Here in Canada, I can legally replace the seals and service it and certify it under my own licence.

Actual digging into a radio, not so much.

47 CFR 87.73 has the following to say in regard to transmitters operated in the aviation services:

§87.73 Transmitter adjustments and tests.

A general radiotelephone operator must directly supervise and be responsible for all transmitter adjustments or tests during installation, servicing or maintenance of a radio station. A general radiotelephone operator must be responsible for the proper functioning of the station equipment.
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-i...7af557d84&mc=true&node=se47.5.87_173&rgn=div8

(General radiotelephone operator licenses are issued by the FCC, for those who don't know.)

And the new pins that come with the D-sub connectors, require that you purchase a very expensive tool to crimp them with. Or you can run down to radio shack and get a ribbon of the older molex style pins. But those require finesse to use, which is why they went to the new kind for aviation.
(All White)

I hate the Molex stuff. The tools for D-Sub pin crimping are not that bad...I bought a 4-indent crimper from SteinAir for $38. For a few connections (like the landing light), I went with Dean's gold-plated connectors, popular for rc aircraft, with heat shrink tubing over the entire connector as a safeguard.

D Sub crimpers aren't expensive at all. I wish my new to me pma6000 audio panel used them. Don't get me going about over rated Stein. I don't get why he's worshipped.

"Avionics" meant different things, to different groups, at different times.

When I was in the Air Force, there were numerous specialties, ie., Com Nav, Electrical, Environmental, etc., but there was only one with Avionics in the title, Avionics Instrument Systems. Where I work now, Avionics pretty much takes care of anything with wires.

Last edited:
"Avionics" meant different things, to different groups, at different times.

When I was in the Air Force, there were numerous specialties, ie., Com Nav, Electrical, Environmental, etc., but there was only one with Avionics in the title, Avionics Instrument Sustems. Where I work now, Avionics pretty much takes care of anything with wires.
Where the sustems a subset under the systems?

:cheers:

Back