A&P General

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
What are the requirements to take the A&P General written exam? Does someone have to sign me off as OK to take it? Thanks.

http://www.faa.gov/mechanics/become/basic/

18 months OJT for airframe and powerplant each or 30 months total.

Call your FSDO and ask them how they want it documented.

Or go to a part 147 school

I just started in a 147 school but need the AM-G for priority placement in classes. Otherwise, they fill up before I can register. Just hoping to take the test earlier.

I have no idea about that, have you been working with an A&P? I think that may be the only way. Call the FSDO and ask, worst he can say is no.

I just started in a 147 school but need the AM-G for priority placement in classes. Otherwise, they fill up before I can register. Just hoping to take the test earlier.

I wouldn't worry about it if you really want to get your A&P it doesn't matter, you're gonna have to do all the time regardless.

So you really got an Alfa? Bought my first in 1980 and have never been without one since. Best kept secret in America! ;)

BTW - also have a Luscombe 8E

I wouldn't worry about it if you really want to get your A&P it doesn't matter, you're gonna have to do all the time regardless.

So you really got an Alfa? Bought my first in 1980 and have never been without one since. Best kept secret in America! ;)

BTW - also have a Luscombe 8E

Currently no Alfa :-(

I have owned maybe a dozen of them starting with Giulietta Spiders around 1970 to my last GTV-6 around 10 years ago. I love 'em but got tired of the damn Alfetta GT's and especially GTV-6's melting on me. Right now I have a Toyota MR2 Spyder. I am sure more Alfa's are in my future but not right now. Got enough on my plate.

How about you?

What are the requirements to take the A&P General written exam? Does someone have to sign me off as OK to take it? Thanks.

This is from FAA Order 8080.6F

Requirements for Aviation Mechanic Applicants. The Aviation Mechanic General (AMG), Aviation Mechanic Airframe (AMA), and Aviation Mechanic Powerplant (AMP) knowledge tests may be taken when an applicant presents one of the following:

a. FAA Form 8610-2, Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application. An FAA Form 8610-2 endorsed by an ASI (Airworthiness) in block V. (Refer to Appendix A, Figure A-8, FAA Form 8610-2, Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application.)

(1) If an applicant possesses a mechanic certificate with either an airframe or powerplant rating, the general test must not be administered.

(2) When an applicant presents an original Form 8610-2 as authorization for a mechanic (AMG, AMA, or AMP) test, the unit member must make a photocopy of the form for the testing center files, attach the copy to the applicable daily log, and return the original to the applicant.

Note: All applicants for the general test must present a completed application or graduation certificate showing either powerplant or airframe rating eligibility, or must present evidence to the testing center that he or she has been authorized to take the general test based on the school having an exemption, issued under 14 CFR part 11, to part 65, § 65.75(a).
b. Graduation Certificate or Certificate of Completion. A graduation certificate or certificate of completion from a testing center affiliated with an FAA-certificated Aviation Maintenance Technician School (AMTS). The applicant’s name, graduation date, and curriculum from where they graduated must appear on a certified graduate list provided to the testing center by the AMTS. This list must be signed by an authorized AMTS official. A graduate from an AMTS need not present the graduation certificate or certificate of completion to an ASI (Airworthiness) before taking the knowledge tests, provided the tests are administered by the affiliated testing center.

(1) Graduates taking any aviation mechanic test at a testing center other than one affiliated with the AMTS must present a graduation certificate or certificate of completion to an ASI (Airworthiness) or aviation safety technician (AST) before testing. The ASI must review the documents and complete and sign block V of FAA Form 8610-2.

Note: Graduation certificates may not be accepted as proper authorization in nonaffiliated testing situations.
(2) The exam date for a mechanic knowledge test should not precede the date of the graduation certificate date.

This is from FAA Order 8080.6F

Requirements for Aviation Mechanic Applicants. The Aviation Mechanic General (AMG), Aviation Mechanic Airframe (AMA), and Aviation Mechanic Powerplant (AMP) knowledge tests may be taken when an applicant presents one of the following:

a. FAA Form 8610-2, Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application. An FAA Form 8610-2 endorsed by an ASI (Airworthiness) in block V. (Refer to Appendix A, Figure A-8, FAA Form 8610-2, Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application.)

(1) If an applicant possesses a mechanic certificate with either an airframe or powerplant rating, the general test must not be administered.

(2) When an applicant presents an original Form 8610-2 as authorization for a mechanic (AMG, AMA, or AMP) test, the unit member must make a photocopy of the form for the testing center files, attach the copy to the applicable daily log, and return the original to the applicant.

Note: All applicants for the general test must present a completed application or graduation certificate showing either powerplant or airframe rating eligibility, or must present evidence to the testing center that he or she has been authorized to take the general test based on the school having an exemption, issued under 14 CFR part 11, to part 65, § 65.75(a).
b. Graduation Certificate or Certificate of Completion. A graduation certificate or certificate of completion from a testing center affiliated with an FAA-certificated Aviation Maintenance Technician School (AMTS). The applicant’s name, graduation date, and curriculum from where they graduated must appear on a certified graduate list provided to the testing center by the AMTS. This list must be signed by an authorized AMTS official. A graduate from an AMTS need not present the graduation certificate or certificate of completion to an ASI (Airworthiness) before taking the knowledge tests, provided the tests are administered by the affiliated testing center.

(1) Graduates taking any aviation mechanic test at a testing center other than one affiliated with the AMTS must present a graduation certificate or certificate of completion to an ASI (Airworthiness) or aviation safety technician (AST) before testing. The ASI must review the documents and complete and sign block V of FAA Form 8610-2.

Note: Graduation certificates may not be accepted as proper authorization in nonaffiliated testing situations.
(2) The exam date for a mechanic knowledge test should not precede the date of the graduation certificate date.

See, that is kinda my point. I am a bit confused by that language. It sounds like you need all the requirements to take the airframe and/or powerplant exam before you can take the general but the school requires you to take the general after completing just the general material and before you get priority placement into A&P specific classes.

I suppose they have an exemption? As in "must present evidence to the testing center that he or she has been authorized to take the general test based on the school having an exemption, issued under 14 CFR part 11, to part 65, § 65.75"

See, that is kinda my point. I am a bit confused by that language. It sounds like you need all the requirements to take the airframe and/or powerplant exam before you can take the general but the school requires you to take the general after completing just the general material and before you get priority placement into A&P specific classes.

I suppose they have an exemption? As in "must present evidence to the testing center that he or she has been authorized to take the general test based on the school having an exemption, issued under 14 CFR part 11, to part 65, § 65.75"

You'll have to have the school as to their procedure. Yes, it sounds like they have an exemption.

A number of ways...
1. Go thru the 4 month class.
2. Go thru the 4 month class BUT if you can demonstrate previous experience, you can get credit. That documented experience can be in the form of college or high school transcript (depends on the specific school) and/or signed off practical experience. For the practical, if you have an airplane and been doing owner-permitted maintenance and you've documented it, or worked under the supervision of an A&P to do other work that doesn't come under the Part 43 appx B list.

I brought in college transcripts for circuits, math, drawing, other stuff and only neded to take a few of the topcs/courses.

3. Spend the time working with an A&P and have them document the time and specific work.

The FAA really wants to see proof of the 400 or so hours (or equivalent in the transcripts) in the topics listed in the General course.

You'll have to have the school as to their procedure. Yes, it sounds like they have an exemption.

Gotta be the case. 14CFR11 is just a general rule-making provision and 14CFR65 seems to make no provision to take the General early. I was just thrown when the counselor said I could get into the A&P classes after I passed the General. My General instructors are telling me that I don't even need their classes based on my prior experience and knowledge so I wondered why I could not just study a bit, take the General and then do the classes I actually want to take. The counselor is willing to give me some credit so I can skip a bit but can't get into the class I wanted to get into just yet. No biggie, it is all good. I just wanted to get started on sheetmetal early.

A number of ways...
1. Go thru the 4 month class.
2. Go thru the 4 month class BUT if you can demonstrate previous experience, you can get credit. That documented experience can be in the form of college or high school transcript (depends on the specific school) and/or signed off practical experience. For the practical, if you have an airplane and been doing owner-permitted maintenance and you've documented it, or worked under the supervision of an A&P to do other work that doesn't come under the Part 43 appx B list.

I brought in college transcripts for circuits, math, drawing, other stuff and only neded to take a few of the topcs/courses.

3. Spend the time working with an A&P and have them document the time and specific work.

The FAA really wants to see proof of the 400 or so hours (or equivalent in the transcripts) in the topics listed in the General course.

Thanks

Yes, I will be getting some credit for previous education but they are limited in what they can do there.

I took my General class from Wictita Technical School. Unfortunately it was $4500. Each of the A1,A2,P1,P2 classes are $5k each so it ends up being a ridiculous amount of money around here. I have seen in other schools where the whole course is $6500. There is even a course that can be had for 9 or 11 months but it doesn't make sense for me to move.

I took my General class from Wictita Technical School. Unfortunately it was $4500. Each of the A1,A2,P1,P2 classes are $5k each so it ends up being a ridiculous amount of money around here. I have seen in other schools where the whole course is $6500. There is even a course that can be had for 9 or 11 months but it doesn't make sense for me to move.

G.W. Baker in Miami is fantastic. Gotta be one of the best in the country. Incredible resources from MD-82 and 737 to C-150, Beech 18, you name it. Dozens of turbines, two full test cells, stationary test stands. a least a dozen recip test stands, etc. etc.

And it is cheap!

$4500 in tuition, another $500 for books and tools amounted to my out of pocket.

However the school district paid for my airframe and general.

Finished HS in 05, the next power plant class filled up on me so I had to wait till the 06-07 power plant to take that one.

Finished HS in 05, the next power plant class filled up on me so I had to wait till the 06-07 power plant to take that one.

Gotcha, grandpa retired in 95, so you didn't have him. What HS did you go to?

-VanDy

Sycamore, I started a trend, first from the district to go, with in a few years they were sending 3-4 a year

Sycamore, I started a trend, first from the district to go, with in a few years they were sending 3-4 a year

Good deal! I went to leesburg, I'll have to swing by Hamilton this summer and say hello

-VanDy

Well Well... another LO grad. I was there a few years before you, but always nice to meet other from there.

Where is LO located? I think my office is around the corner from Scarlett Oaks, but not for sure which it is. I do remember taking CAD training at the one next to my work.

So if I worked with the Matts long enough I could work on my A&P? Hmm then I could be an old and crotchety A&P like Tom? Wait a minute, I am already old and crotchety, I am just not an A&P.

Where is LO located? I think my office is around the corner from Scarlett Oaks, but not for sure which it is. I do remember taking CAD training at the one next to my work.

Laurel Oaks is in Wilmington at KILN's Field. They have a pretty nice set-up there!

Laurel Oaks is in Wilmington at KILN's Field. They have a pretty nice set-up there!

And as it is stand alone from any degree program time and cost effective too!

I got my job a week after finishing HS, and just slightly cut my hours down to take the night power plant class.

Hmm, you and I probably pass each other every morning

Black station wagon, plates A AND P

Oh and FYI they are getting a speed camera on the south bound collector across from GE,

Black station wagon, plates A AND P

Oh and FYI they are getting a speed camera on the south bound collector across from GE,

Thanks for the heads up, ill keep a look out for you. Im a red silverado plates say VANDY :D

Going back to the original question...there are no consistent rules for credit for previous classes/work/etc. When a school is approved by the FAA to be Part 147, the package includes the curriculum, admissions, grading, courses & outlines, etc. It also includes the criteria for awarding credit for previous work and/or classes.

For example, I got credit at the Emily Griffith A&P program (non-profit vocational school) for previous classes (altho I had to pay the tuition) yet the for-profit A&P school on the other side of town wouldn't accept it, insisted I attend & pay for every class. The EG program is about 70% cheaper than the for-profit school.

Students who've moved from the for-profit to EG are very happy and not just the money. They like the extensive hands-on practical work which is considerably more than what the for-profit school offers.

Thanks for the heads up, ill keep a look out for you. Im a red silverado plates say VANDY :D

You know guys, they do make these places where you can pull off the highway and drink warm beverages. You don't actually have to throw notes to each other from passing vehicles :yes:

Going back to the original question...there are no consistent rules for credit for previous classes/work/etc. When a school is approved by the FAA to be Part 147, the package includes the curriculum, admissions, grading, courses & outlines, etc. It also includes the criteria for awarding credit for previous work and/or classes.

For example, I got credit at the Emily Griffith A&P program (non-profit vocational school) for previous classes (altho I had to pay the tuition) yet the for-profit A&P school on the other side of town wouldn't accept it, insisted I attend & pay for every class. The EG program is about 70% cheaper than the for-profit school.

Students who've moved from the for-profit to EG are very happy and not just the money. They like the extensive hands-on practical work which is considerably more than what the for-profit school offers.

That is in the Denver area, isn't it? My plan is actually to move from Miami to Denver in about one year so I may be looking to finish up the A&P in that area. I was looking at EG although, of course, I will have a residency issue.

That is in the Denver area, isn't it? My plan is actually to move from Miami to Denver in about one year so I may be looking to finish up the A&P in that area. I was looking at EG although, of course, I will have a residency issue.

Trust me, even as out-of-state, it's still cheaper than Redstone.

I've always wanted the residency requirements changed from time-in-state to date-from-first-knee-surgery.

Trust me, even as out-of-state, it's still cheaper than Redstone.

I've always wanted the residency requirements changed from time-in-state to date-from-first-knee-surgery.

Well, G.W. Baker is so cheap that I should probably just double up day and night and push through it if enough courses are offered.

Well, G.W. Baker is so cheap that I should probably just double up day and night and push through it if enough courses are offered.

Get it finished, and I can almost guarantee there are 3 companies in the area that are hiring A&Ps.

Back