A nice surprise (some Waco time!)

rottydaddy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
beaky
I was working in Myrtle Beach, SC all last week... working very odd hours, but hopeful I'd be alert enough some afternoon to do some flying, even just a rental checkout (haven't flown since my hops with Buzz).
But I could not seem to find a school with both airworthy planes and available instructors near the job site, so by my last day (Sunday) I was a bit desperate... I decided to check out Red Sky up at Brunswick County across the border. For some reason I decided not to call ahead; i just drove up there. Maybe it was just better than lying around the hotel.
When I pulled into the lot at the airport, I saw a bee-yoo-tiful red Waco parked on the grass, and a BIPLANE RIDES sign. There's another Waco that gives rides down at Grand Strand, but I'd dismissed that earlier, wanting some "stick time", which I figured would not be possible in a Waco.
Ah, but... :D

These folks charge $120 for a ride in the front hole, $60 each if you can get someone in there with you. Some guy showed up while I was chatting with the Mrs. in this husband-and-wife team (she liked my T-shirt, so we started gabbing about flying)... he was excited about the plane, but didn't want a ride. Suddenly I forgot all about shelling out the same amount for dual in a 172. It was a real good day for open-cockpit flying, even as a pax, and I'd never been up in a UPF-7... so I figured what the heck; I'll pay the full amount, let's go!
When the pilot showed up, his wife told him I was a pilot with a tailwheel endorsement. He said "so I guess you don't want me to put in the front stick, right?"
I said no, not really... OK, well maybe...

So I got some biplane stick time, finally!! :yes:

He got us up to 600, headed NE with a pretty stiff breeze out of the SW, and next thing I know, I've got me a handful of 1942 goodness. I'd like to say it was my first time flying over 200 hp, but he managed the throttle... not that it mattered. I'd been behind a radial like that in a Stearman, but I didn't have control. It was a milestone, and very memorable.
Carolina Belle and I got along OK- my Champ-conditioned feet were a little uncertain, but she didn't hold that against me. I made one lazy pear-shaped 270 around the old lighthouse and tried to Dutch-roll it a little bit, but mostly just worked on heading and altitude, just letting it soak in... it was one of those little surprise gifts that cost a few bucks, but was worth every penny.

This shot was from before the flight- should have taken another after, as my hair would have been biplane-dreaded instead of the very uncool "hat head" look seen here. :D
But forget me- look at this Waco!! Drool!!

Here's a shameless plug (they earned it):

http://www.brunswickcountyairport.net/Suncoast%20Aviation.htm

Attachments

• rot04270801.JPG
    rot04270801.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
What a great find!! Thanks for sharing. This is one of those "definitely on my list" items...

Sean

Glad you had a great time. I've had an opportunity to fly Stearman (225hp and 450hp) and Waco aircraft. They are both just flat out fun to fly. They fly the way I alway thought flying was supposed to feel.

The airport I fly out of has a number Stearmen on the field and with a little luck, I hope to catch a ride or two this summer.

Thanks for the disc.

You lucky dog!!! Thanks for the story.

Back