A new one

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
After landing at san antonio this week we were cleared across a runway, follow a Cougar that just landed and contact tower.
So we are behind the C. and exiting the runway together and the C. stops on the hold bars. I pulled up very close behind him because I didn't want to have any part remaining on the runway and watched very closely for traffic (none).
We were just about to squawk about being stuck so close to the runway edge and the Cougar finished his post landing I guess and moved ahead, allowing us to clear.
What is the correct thing here, just speak up? Should the C. have not stopped? (He must have known we were there because he could not miss seeing us as he pulled off)
Just want to make things smoother and safer.....

Let'sgoflying! said:
After landing at san antonio this week we were cleared across a runway, follow a Cougar that just landed and contact tower.
So we are behind the C. and exiting the runway together and the C. stops on the hold bars. I pulled up very close behind him because I didn't want to have any part remaining on the runway and watched very closely for traffic (none).
We were just about to squawk about being stuck so close to the runway edge and the Cougar finished his post landing I guess and moved ahead, allowing us to clear.
What is the correct thing here, just speak up? Should the C. have not stopped? (He must have known we were there because he could not miss seeing us as he pulled off)

I think this is one of those situations where the local controller is supposed to coordinate things. The other plane is supposed to clear the runway (past the hold short line) and wait for further instructions unless he's already been given a taxi clearance. AFaIK there's nothing in the AIM about making room for a plane following you nor about what to do if you can't clear a runway because of the plane ahead of you. I think I would have called the tower with "Cessna 23G unable to clear runway 21 on Alpha" or something like that. You're not supposed to direct communications to another aircraft except in an emergency as ATC "owns" the frequency and I don't think the pilot in the plane ahead of you would have been correct in pulling ahead to make room especically if that meant enterring or crossing any other taxiways or runways.

I've been in that situation before, both as lead and as following a/c. I want to cooperate but rest assured I'm not gonna proceed (as lead) until instructed by twr. I had an ATR try to push past me but he got a reaming for his efforts.

When following as Dave was, I simply let twr know I couldn't clear. Twr knew it, I knew twr knew it, but wanted to be certain that I was a priority. In that situation, twr clears to taxi, remain on this freq until advised. Once on the parallel taxiway they had the lead plane, then me switch to gnd.

All comms go through twr. The time interval between not being able to clear (when following) and calling twr to advise was about the same it would take for me to advise I'm clear in normal circumstances.

I agree with Lance and Richard. This is a situation where everybody is right. I would probably just wait the minute until cleared unless there was landing traffic right behind me creating a dangerous condition.

Speak Up!! If tower airport let ground know. If Non-tower Airport Speak Up on the CTAF. Its all about communication not trying start trouble just be safe.
Or move to next taxi way. We all should be thinking of each other.

Jaime P said:
Speak Up!! If tower airport let ground know. If Non-towerAirport Speak Up on the CTAF. Its all about communication not trying start trouble just be safe.
Or move to next taxi way. We all should be thinking of each other.
I agree but in the case of a towered airport you should only be speaking up to the tower. In this case just mention you are not clear of the runway and are waiting for traffic ahead of you to clear the turnoff.

Let'sgoflying! said:

Well, sounds like a Charlie Foxtrot. If I was him, I would have pulled clear enough so you could clear as well before stopping, unless I had instructions to proceede, then I wouldn't stop at all. If I was you, I would have said something probably to ground unless it was CTAF in which case he shouldn't have stopped except for traffic.

Al P said:
I agree with Lance and Richard. This is a situation where everybody is right. I would probably just wait the minute until cleared unless there was landing traffic right behind me creating a dangerous condition.
I get very nervous when loitering on any rwy--active or not. For the same reason I will not 'position and hold' at a non-towered fld I will make every attempt to clear the rwy ASAP. Twr understands the urgency but the pilot saying something about it completes the communications loop.

Back