A long aviation weekend

jmaynard

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Maynard
Whew. It feels like I spend the entire weekend in my airplane.

Saturday morning, I was sitting around the home office wondering what I was going to do with myself. I'd originally planned an animal rescue flight, but forecast bad weather had cancelled the mission, with a possible reschedule to Sunday. That left me at loose ends with a gorgeous day in Fairmont.

I got a call from Lance Fisher inviting me to come meet him at KFCM to pick up an electric motion sickness wristband he'd offered to loan. The weather in the Cities had been forecast to suck, and earlier observations had backed that up, but things cleared off right about then. I said "sure!" and launched.

The skies were clear all the way to the Twin Cities. When I got to Flying Cloud, the tower controller wasn't quite clear on the concept of my airplane: "Is that a helicopter or an experimental?" It took me a couple of tries to get across to her that it was neither. I landed, found the FBO, and met Lance. He was out to the airport to change the oil in his Baron. "Wanna swap rides?" I'd never been up in anything between an A36 and an airliner (a Twin Otter qualifies for that, if barely), so I accepted immediately. Before we did that, though, we went to a well-known local eatery, the Lions Tap, for their famous cheeseburgers. I didn't get the famous foot-tall version, though.

Back at the airport, and time to go flying. We departed to the west to get clear of the MSP class B, and he handed me the airplane. I can see why people love Barons: fast, comfortable, easy to handle, and, to my moderate surprise, even docile with one engine out - as long as you deal with it properly. I can see why lack of proficiency kills twin pilots, especially when the necessary automatic response to one condition is counterintuitive. I flew it by hand throughout the maneuver, and didn't even bother trimming away the control pressures, though I would have had it been for real.

We returned to KFCM with things nicely warmed up. Lance popped the oil drains while I went back to the FBO to use the little pilot's room. That done, and my fuel bill paid, I went out to preflight the Zodiac, and Lance met me when that was done. The weather had closed in while we were doing all that, but we were still able to get out and introduce Lance to my airplane. I let him have it from right after takeoff until we were back in the pattern at KFCM. With all of that Porterfield experience, he had no problems dealing with my little airplane.

I taxied back to the FBO and immediately headed for the weather room, while Lance went back to his hangar. It took me less than a minute to decide that I wasn't going back to Fairmont: KFCM was reporting a broken ceiling at 1900, and it was worse as I looked south, with Mankato (halfway) reporting OVC014 and Fairmont reporting OVC011. The crappy forecast had come true with a vengeance. The forecast for Sunday was still looking great, though, so I decided an overnight stay was appropriate. I called my roommate, who quickly agreed to my suggestion to come north with some necessities and pay his sister an overnight visit.

I went back to Lance's hangar, and we spent the next couple of hours finishing up the oil change and a few other minor maintenance tasks on his Baron, then meeting some other interesting airplanes he knew of. Three gorgeous T-6s, a T-28 being restored, a Twin Bonanza (man, that thing is huge!), and a couple of phone calls for directions later, my roommate arrived to take me off Lance's hands.

This morning started early, since I wanted to get an early start back to Fairmont. The ARF flight was a go, and the forecast was fantastic. I was back at the FBO by 7:30. They had the aircraft ready and waiting, and even waived the overnight hangar fee since I'd bought fuel. I checked the weather (clear and a million the whole way), preflighted, and got in. Then I looked out at the wings and saw lots of frost. Now, I'm from Texas, where we usually don't have to deal with frost on aircraft that have just been pulled out from a heated hangar. This caught me off guard. I tried brushing the frost off, but that got me nothing but very cold fingers, so the aircraft went back in the hangar to get rid of it. 30 minutes of that got rid of the frost, and I got out of there as fast as I could.

The flight home was as gorgeous as predicted. I PIREPd that, even: gave winds, reported a few high thin cirriform clouds, smooth air, and added "it's a gorgeous day for flying". Minneapolis Approach wasn't busy, so I asked how I could make their lives easier on the flight later. "Just talk to us. We'll probably route you around the south or north, but we'll make it work."

I got back to Fairmont, put the airplane in my hangar, plugged in the Tanis, went home, ate breakfast, printed off the ARF flight plan with contact numbers, showered, gathered some necessities, and headed back to the airport. I managed to launch for KLSE right about when I'd planned. The flight over wasn't bad at all, and the FBO was pleased to be doing another ARF flight with me.

The incoming pilot arrived just a few minutes later. Our carefully laid plans went somewhat awry: I'd thought the crate the dog came in would knock down and fit on the Zodiac's baggage shelf. No such luck. We tried just about everything we could think of, but it was just too tall, even knocked down into two halves. We finally decided the inbound pilot would get a free crate out of the deal, since it would fit back in his A36 with no problems. We loaded Bear, a year-old Australian shepherd with a very outgoing personality and lots of energy, into my passenger seat, strapped him in securely - we thought - and I taxied out. Things got interesting when Bear decided right after takeoff that he wanted to climb onto the baggage shelf, but they didn't get more than interesting. I'm not sure I want to know what La Crosse Tower thought of my takeoff and climbout, though.

KLSE-KCFE direct goes right over the top of KMSP, paralleling the two main runways there. I knew I wasn't going to go direct. When I got close to the Bravo, I asked Minneapolis Approach, "5ZC is headed to Buffalo. Which way would you like me to go?" He had me turn to the FGT VORTAC and descend from 6500 to 4500, then cleared me into the class B. (Take that, C90!) A little vectoring and a further descent later, and I went to KCFE without having gone terribly far out of my way. This was a good thing, as my fuel reserves had dropped below what I like to have.

I got pictures while Bear went off with his new friends. KCFE has the cheapest fuel in the area (100LL was $2.88 a gallon), and I took full advantage. Back in the air, I thanked Minneapolis Approach for all of their help when they handed me off to Center. I was more than a little surprised when Center asked me, "You're the first Zodiac I've worked. Is that a homebuilt, or did you buy it?" My reply got stepped on, and he spent the next 15 minutes or so sequencing airliners and dealing with a speed request from Approach. That done, he got back to me just before handoff and repeated his question. I replied, "You're the first one to know there's a difference! This is a factory aircraft." I could hear the smile in his voice as he handed me to the next sector.

I could see the high overcast off to the west and south as I got back to Fairmont. 122.8 was really busy, but I did manage to get a few words in edgewise as I came back home for the final time today. I was really beat, though. I went to bed about 7 PM, after logging 5.7 hours in 4 flights today and 7.3 total on the weekend. I'm going back to bed now...*yawn*

Great writeup, Jay! And say "Hey" to Paul from Leslie and me!

Sounds like a great weekend of flying, Jay!

Mine was similar. Saturday I had a bunch of things to take care of, among them wanting to go up and pratice my commercial maneuvers. So, I headed out in the Mooney for an hour and a half of "work". Even though it was only that short of a flight, by the time I came back, I was pretty well beat. It was gusty out, too, with winds gusting into the 20s. It definitely made the flight more challenging, but in a good way.

Yesterday was my ARF Flight, and my first flight into the ADIZ. Wanting to make sure I didn't get shot down by F-16s, I asked Tim Metzinger for some helpful advice. He assured me I didn't have to worry about F-16s - it would only be Blackhawks. Sure enough, flying into the ADIZ is seamless if you're on an IFR flight plan. Like with any other Bravo, you need to be on your toes, but that's it. I did put a piece of paper over the side of the transponder with the VFR button that said "NO 1200" on it. The reminder worked out well. Many thanks to Tim for taking the time to talk to me about ADIZ flight. For me, anyway, the prospect was somewhat frightening because of all the hype they make about it, but it really is no big deal. I think I will continue to put up my "NO 1200" reminder, though. :)

Once I got to New Jersey to drop the dogs off, we made some new friends at Morristown airport. Turns out everyone at the FBO there loves dogs, and they were most enthusiastic to have us land there to drop off the adorable puppies. I ended up being there quite a while, and the puppies got lots of love and attention from everyone. We got to spread the word some about ARF, which was great.

By the time I took off to head home it had been a long day, especially with moderate turbulence down to DC and mild turbulence from DC to NJ. Fortunately, it had turned into a perfect night to fly. Not a cloud in the sky and visibility was clear and a million, with not a single bump. Of course, I still had a direct headwind, and as such the flight home took longer than I'm used to (100 kt ground speed in the Mooney), but it was such a beautiful evening that I just enjoyed it.

4.6 yesterday, 6.1 for the weekend.

Oh, and now I'm past 250 TT. :D

Well, since we are sharing aviation weekend info, and about Rescue Flights, I can chime in a bit. :smilewinkgrin:

Well, Saturday started off with an overcast sky at 4000 feet greeting us, and I was hoping that it would clear up by noon when I was scheduled to fly and finish up the Diamond Checkout flight required by the flight school before I could rent the plane solo. I arrived to find N136MA, my ride for the day, in the main hangar and began my preflight. Once complete, I was pulled out of the hangar and topped off with 100LL, now, ready to go.

Started up and went through the checklist, and then down the ramp and taxiway I went to the runup area. Today's flight would include a Power On, and a Power Off stall, S-turns back to the airport, and then partial flap landings. Wind was 190* at 8 knots according to AWOS, and we would be departing runway 24. Runup complete, I took the runway and departed to the practice area. The manouvers went well, and she even through in an engine out, which I nailed this time and even slipped the plane a little bit to get the field.

Back at Wings, the pattern was very busy. There was a Travelair coming into the pattern for an Animal Rescue flight. This one was going from Wings up to New England someplace. I entered the pattern, and then performed a normal landing to a full stop. Up and around again, this time following a Cessna with another Diamond trailing behind me. Flaps in the Take-off position this time, no Landing flaps. Up for the third time, and a much better landing this time around. The slight crosswind was good to fly in as well, with the 50* crosswind component causing a good crab angle on Final, and a good refresher of the transition to the slip in the roundout. 1.3 in the Diamond overall, probably .3 or .4 just waiting at the hold short line a few times since it was so busy, but that's ok, all the requirements finished up and I'm now signed off to rent the DA-20 anytime, solo. :D

As I secured the plane, my phone recieved it's reception back and I had a message from Gary
Mascelli. He was on his way up from Wilmington and we would go flying for a short hour in the practice area while he played with this new Garmin 496! I turned around from securing the plane, and Bob Ciotti and Mackenzie were waiving to me from the parking lot fence. He saw my status post on Facebook and then came up to Wings to see how things were going. Mackenzie is so cute and adorable in the things she does. I chatted with them for a few minutes and then turned in the keys for the plane. As I came out, Gary arrived in N28679'r with another freind of his, John. We all chatted for a few minutes and then the three of us went up in 679'r for a short hour in the practice area. I flew right seat, while Gary was trying to figure some things out with his new 496. That is a nice unit, and combined with the PCAS traffic system he recieved from Mary, we will have a nicely equipped plane for the flight to Gastons in June.

I flew the plane out over Perkiomen, up to Green Lane, and around Butter Valley before turning back towards Wings. At 2500 or above, it wasn't as bumpy, but below 2500 it was time to rock and roll. I brought 679'r over the top of wings at 2500 and circled down over the quarry to enter the 45* downwind for 24, before turning the contols back over to Gary. The time right seat in 679'r was about 35 minutes from the time the 496 was recording, which Gary turned on after the exchange of controls. Thanks Gary for letting me fly today, very nice handling plane.

So, not the high hours you have posted, but a great Saturday for me anyway. Always neat to chat online with people, but even better to hang out at the airport with them.

No rescue flights, but after taking the FreeBird out for lunch, I got to do some aerobatics in an RV. Wooohoo!

Back at Wings, the pattern was very busy. There was a Travelair coming into the pattern for an Animal Rescue flight. This one was going from Wings up to New England someplace.

Ahh, you happened to be there as Law was flying his plane to pick up the dog coming from Zanesville and heading up to New Hampshire. Small world! I've not met Law or seen his Travel Air yet, but from the pictures it looks to be a very nice plane. Apparently, his family has owned it for decades.

Lots of great flights this weekend.

I read that PIREP! I was trying to make the go/no-go decision on a flight in the Diamond with my mother-in-law and decided to see what the weather was like where she's from (just outside of Prior Lake). I'm surprised they didn't try to code it in some obscure acronym (ITS GRGEOS DAY 4FLG). Sounds like a great couple days, Jay, thanks for the write up!

I'm surprised that Jay had enough energy to post his flight reports at 1 AM. It was fun getting to fly Jay's Zodiac, and having Jay around made the oil change go much more quickly. I was also glad to see his decision to spend the night rather than attempt a VFR flight into deteriorating marginal conditions without an IR (which I thought he had since he's almost ready for his CFI checkride but I learned you don't need that for a CFI-SP). Jay's plane, OTOH is well equipped for instrument flight assuming no ice issues.

I read that PIREP! I was trying to make the go/no-go decision on a flight in the Diamond with my mother-in-law and decided to see what the weather was like where she's from (just outside of Prior Lake). I'm surprised they didn't try to code it in some obscure acronym (ITS GRGEOS DAY 4FLG).
You've got me curious...wonder if there's a way to read old PIREPs.

You've got me curious...wonder if there's a way to read old PIREPs.

I know you can get PIREPs that are up to 12 hrs old on aviationweather. Beyond that, I have no idea. It was written in plain English when I noticed it, even in the raw format of the PIREP; that's what caught my eye.

Hmmm, weekend flights....hmmm.

Ok, took the Dakota over to APA for some autopilot work on Friday. The glideslope coupler was re-installed after some component replacement and bench testing. The work was done on the ramp so I had the chance to talk with a 414 driver and watch a PC12 and Meridian depart the ramp area. Bunch of arrivals and departures to watch also. Looked like some of the bizjets were "enjoying" the winds too.

Did I mention it was windy in Denver on Friday? It was 240@11G16 on arrival and 240@21G24 on departure. Departure was just a tad interesting on 28 and I suspect the gusts were just a bit higher than indicated. It sounded like some of the jets were starting to use 28 instead of 17L when I left.

The high winds had some turbulance to keep things interesting. I kept the airspeed around 100 and the ride was bumpy but not horrible. I topped off before flying over to APA and I assume the extra weight helped.

Tested the autopilot on the way back to FTG. Heading and altitude hold worked. Tracking the localizer was just a bit sketchy. I think I had it set up correctly but will test it again before calling the avionics shop. Since the localizer tracking was sketchy I didn't even try to get the glideslope to couple.

The winds at FTG were pretty much down the runway so the 20G30 was no biggie.

Sunday was oil change day. Used about 0.7 hours of near airport flying under a low ceiling to warm the oil. It was just a tad breezy out of the so'east so I didn't mess with localizer/glideslope testing. Did do some ground reference work since I hadn't done that in about six months. Should be good to go for another 50 hours now after two short time oil changes since picking up the airplane.

Did notice something interesting on oil consumption though. On 4.5 hour crosscountry last weekend it used zero oil but on the slow flight back from APA it blew out about a pint. The cross country time was at 65% power while the slow flight was 2200 rpm and about 20 inches. The engine is a TSIO-360 FB with about 600 hours since factory rebuild. It had been setting a lot before I bought it. At the first oil change the A&P checked compression and said ok but too much blow-by so run it hard for awhile to re-seat the rings. I ran 75% power for about 5 hours and then went back to 65%. Oil consumption has been low at about 1 quart in 25 hours. Anybody else notice higher oil consumption at low power settings? Or is everybody screaming "what in the heck are ya doing not using all the engine?" Anyway, just a minor curiosity point.

Did I mention it was windy in Denver on Friday? It was 240@11G16 on arrival and 240@21G24 on departure. Departure was just a tad interesting on 28 and I suspect the gusts were just a bit higher than indicated. It sounded like some of the jets were starting to use 28 instead of 17L when I left.

Seems those winds blew themselves over here. Last night the wind was howling at my house, I saw 32 Kt on my anemometer a couple times. At the airport they got:

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KFCM 100753Z AUTO 18022G31KT 8SM -RA OVC034 07/04 A2907 RMK AO2 PK WND 16033/0719 SLP850 P0002 T00670039 TSNO[/FONT]

This morning it's still blowing pretty hard:

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KFCM 101453Z 22017G24KT 10SM OVC011 03/01 A2923 RMK AO2 PK WND 22027/1408 SLP904 60000 T00280006 53039[/FONT]

Did notice something interesting on oil consumption though. On 4.5 hour crosscountry last weekend it used zero oil but on the slow flight back from APA it blew out about a pint. The cross country time was at 65% power while the slow flight was 2200 rpm and about 20 inches.

I suspect that this is just a measurment error. Chances are the ground wasn't quite as level one or both times you checked the oil and half a pint is pretty hard to see on most dipsticks.

Anybody else notice higher oil consumption at low power settings? Or is everybody screaming "what in the heck are ya doing not using all the engine?" Anyway, just a minor curiosity point.

My experience is just the opposite, higher power and higher RPM burns more oil. But I have noticed several times that the readings are inconsistent from flight to flight in ways that cannot be attributed to variations in consumption hence my comments about measurement error. FWIW, I've also found that my consumption during the first 25 hours is close to half what I see in the last 25 hrs of an oil change. I assume this is due to changes in the oil over time.

In the spirit of the first response to Teller's F-18 simulator thread:

Dear JMaynard,

You suck, you lucky duck.

Sincerely, respectfully and cordially yours,

SteveinIndy

;)

I haven't been in a plane for quite a while now, so pardon me for being a little jealous.

I suspect that this is just a measurment error. Chances are the ground wasn't quite as level one or both times you checked the oil and half a pint is pretty hard to see on most dipsticks.

The oil checks were after setting overnight in the hangar. That's not to say that a measurement error is impossible since the struts change with the weather. My initial reaction is that measurement error is small but I really haven't run this engine long enough to really know.

My experience is just the opposite, higher power and higher RPM burns more oil. But I have noticed several times that the readings are inconsistent from flight to flight in ways that cannot be attributed to variations in consumption hence my comments about measurement error. FWIW, I've also found that my consumption during the first 25 hours is close to half what I see in the last 25 hrs of an oil change. I assume this is due to changes in the oil over time.

I certainly expect more oil useage with higher power settings and that's why I was suprised to see the oil useage after the low power flight. I think i'll start keeping an oil useage log to see if any trends show up.

Well, since we are sharing aviation weekend info, and about Rescue Flights, I can chime in a bit. :smilewinkgrin:.....

.......Always neat to chat online with people, but even better to hang out at the airport with them.

I also had a fun day flying this past Saturday and catching up with Rob, Bob and Mackenzie at Wings (KLOM). I did see the Travel Air ARF flight. I was entering on crosswind just off the end of 24, still slightly above pattern altitude and dropping down as I turned to downwind. The travel air had a visual on me and said he would pass below me, we saw him, he passed below and in a blink was out of sight.

Sunday went to Cambridge , MD (KCGE) and had a really good breakfast at Kays then bumped all the way home (KILG) getting 679er down with some fun crosswinds on runway one. All the other runways are still NOTAMed closed.

METAR KILG 081851Z 30023G33KT 10SM CLR 17/01 A3004

Last edited:
I certainly expect more oil useage with higher power settings and that's why I was suprised to see the oil useage after the low power flight. I think i'll start keeping an oil useage log to see if any trends show up.
At low power settings, you have some vacuum in the intake ports and can suck some oil in past the intake valve stems.

Back