A little rant

Tarheel Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tarheel Pilot
I'm 5'5", and 130lbs. So I'm a small guy. Aircrafts were not made for someone of my height. Even if the aircraft came with adjustable seat height, they don't always go up to the level so that I can see over the panel. So I usually end up using a seat cushion. Even LSA aircrafts seem to have this problem (well maybe not all of them, I only sat in one high wing LSA in where I saw this problem)

Are aircraft manufacturers assuming that everyone is 5'7 or 5'8 or something? I love flying the Cherokees, but I wish I didn't have to use a seat cushion just so I can see over the panel and cowling of the aircraft.

A small rant I had to get off my chest, thanks for reading!

I'm 5'5", and 130lbs. So I'm a small guy. Aircrafts were not made for someone of my height. Even if the aircraft came with adjustable seat height, they don't always go up to the level so that I can see over the panel. So I usually end up using a seat cushion. Even LSA aircrafts seem to have this problem (well maybe not all of them, I only sat in one high wing LSA in where I saw this problem)

Are aircraft manufacturers assuming that everyone is 5'7 or 5'8 or something? I love flying the Cherokees, but I wish I didn't have to use a seat cushion just so I can see over the panel and cowling of the aircraft.

Hey, consider yourself lucky - I think that the majority of airplanes were made for people between 5'8" and 6'2". You can sit on a cushion. I can't cut off the top of my head. :frown2:

Luckily, it's not too much of a problem most of the time. I can't fly a 150/152 or a DA20 or a Sky Arrow - But I can fit in a J-3 and most other small airplanes. Some are much more comfortable than others, though.

Hey, consider yourself lucky - I think that the majority of airplanes were made for people between 5'8" and 6'2". You can sit on a cushion. I can't cut off the top of my head. :frown2:
That's ok, Kent. I can cut off the top of your head - I just got a new sawzall. Let me know when you wish to make an appointment.

At least you can do something about the problem with cushions. as Kent pointed out those of us at the tall end of the curve are simply out of luck as there is nothing we can do to fit into some of these planes.

They assume that you are exactly 5'8'' with a 30 inseam. As a short guy you can at least use pillows, I can just lean into the back seats and hope that I don't break my neck in turbulence.

I'm 5'3" and there are lots of female pilots who are my height or even shorter. I'm used to needing pillows to sit on or put behind my back. It's just a way of life, I guess. :D

That's ok, Kent. I can cut off the top of your head - I just got a new sawzall. Let me know when you wish to make an appointment.
:D My husband loves his sawzall! I don't know what we did without it!

That space at the top is just for expansion, and he's not using it now anyway.

I don't have much trouble getting in them, but must carry a pry bar to break the suction so I can get out. Well, except for the front seat of a Legend Cub. Ain't gonna happen.

Last edited:
I love being a small guy. I can fit easily in any airplane, and yes I use a cushion too. Mrs. Steingar is similarly tiny, though for members of the fairer sex the more appropriate word is "petite". Still, I didn't have weight and balance issues when I flew with her in a Cessna 150.

Being "vertically challenged" sucks on the motorcycle, and it really sucks if you want something on the top shelf. But I love it for aviation.

Ummm... dunno about Pipers, but I'm 5'7" and I use a seat cushion in my Cardinal. I've done the same in several other Cessnas I've flown.

As someone else said, it seems to be a way of life...

I'm 5'3" and there are lots of female pilots who are my height or even shorter. I'm used to needing pillows to sit on or put behind my back. It's just a way of life, I guess. :D
I'm 5'4" and figured it was a fact of life too, until I started flying bigger airplanes. Ironically, the bigger the airplane the more adjustable they make the seats, and the rudder pedals. I could barely touch the rudder pedals in the smallest airplane I've been in, yet I've had no problem adjusting the seats in piston twins and bigger, all the way up to airliner sized sims.

Being small is sometimes an advantage. I flew Lear 35s for a number of years and I always wondered what the guys were complaining about. Also I've noticed that some people have their height in their torso and other in their legs. I fly with one person who is at least 6' if not more and we adjust the seat height the same. Of course he has the rudder pedals all the way forward and the seat all the way aft...

I'm 5' 8" and I use a seat cushion in my friend's Tomahawk. And that plane has a lower instrument panel than ANY Cessna I've been in. I hate not being
able to see down and forward. I fly to enjoy the view outside, not stare at the panel.

I'm 6'1". I Have a cushion for my Warrior. I don't use it all the time, but if I am planning on going thorough all the practice maneuvers, I need it. I had my pilots seat clamped at its highest elevation, but it is still not quite where I need it.

I believe if aircraft designers could have their way, they wouldn't even have windows on a plane. They seem convinced the only thing we need to see is the control panel.

John

You tall guys get all the better paying jobs so you can afford bigger airplanes to go with the better looking women you get (also because of your height).
Fortunately, I am an average height guy with a great looking wife that makes a lot of money so even my stereotypes have holes in them.

I'm 5'8". I use a small cushion in my cherokee. Just a thought, but it's not like a car where you need to see the end of the hood.

And imagine what's it's like to fly a tail dragger.

I'm 5'8". I use a small cushion in my cherokee. Just a thought, but it's not like a car where you need to see the end of the hood.

And imagine what's it's like to fly a tail dragger.

Well I like to see over the hood so that I can see down the runway when I'm on final and about to flare. I was taught to always judge your flare alt. by the opposite end of the runway.

I only use a cushion so I can see the ground out of the passenger side window. I once got a bad case of the leans that got cured that way.

Average height here, but need to lose about 25 lbs. Like Kevin said, consider yourself lucky in some senses... If I could get down to 130, I could probably take along my wife, my dog and my anvil collection when I go up in the 152.

:rofl:

Well, as long as you can guarantee I'll still be able to get my medical and have enough brain left to fly, sounds good. ;)

:D My husband loves his sawzall! I don't know what we did without it!

Proof that we make more good stuff in Milwaukee than just beer. :D

Luckily, it's not too much of a problem most of the time. I can't fly a 150/152 or a DA20 or a Sky Arrow - But I can fit in a J-3 and most other small airplanes. Some are much more comfortable than others, though.

How tall are you that you can't fit in a Sky Arrow? We've had 6'4" guys in it alot. The back seat has even more head room.

I'm a 5'7" guy weighing 125lbs With the seat all the way up I don't have much issue in 152's 172's Arrow/other Cherokees but I have needed a cushion in the 182.

How tall are you that you can't fit in a Sky Arrow? We've had 6'4" guys in it alot. The back seat has even more head room.

I'm 6'4". I sat in Sean's - I didn't fit in the front seat. I did fit in the back seat but I had to do some funky stuff with my legs to avoid my left leg getting in the way of the stick. The back seat was probably do-able, the front seat was not.

Of course, for a free ride I'm willing to try stuffing myself in it again. ;)

Back