A little helicopter tomfoolery

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
One of my partners and I decided to go for a joyride today, and fly out over his house and then over a corn maze we had fown over last July. We shared the flying, then came back and each ran a couple of patterns. It was hazy, but nice smooth air.

Anyway, here are some pictures...

They show:
The view during departure.
The corn maze then and now.
A covered bridge over the Brandywine river.
Scenic downtown West Chester, PA.
And what a helicopter approach looks like.

Great pics Bob!!

If you're out sight see'in, and go over your home, don't get within 100 feet if the flue to the chimmney is open (don't ask me why I mention this!!).

Dave

So, what exactly is the significance of the bottom of the green arc on the ASI in a helipcopter? Min autorotation speed? Can't be stall speed!

Yes! And why are the warning lights labeled so formally--Mr. Temp and Mr. Chip!!

Dave

lancefisher said:
So, what exactly is the significance of the bottom of the green arc on the ASI in a helipcopter? Min autorotation speed? Can't be stall speed!

It is pretty much the knee of the height velocity chart. If you are at less than 40 feet you should be below that speed. That's why it is not red below it. Above 40 feet you want to be going at least 50 kts IAS until you get above abot 700 feet AGL where it is physically possible to do a zero (starting) airspeed auto rotation. I guess it could be reffered to as normal operating range air speed.
See the attached images for better explination straight from the POH.
You want to, whenever posssible, stay out of the cross hatched part of the H/V Diagram.
Oh yeah recommended auto rotation speed is 65 kts IAS 97% to 104% rotor rpm. If you need to glide further then you can go to 75 kts IAS and 90% rotor rpm.

Bob,
What altitude where you at when you took the picture of the covered bridge. They are all great pics by the way :) .
Chris

Last edited:
Great pics Bob! Can you fly over our house on Saybrooke Lane and see what our tenants are doing to it? :)

Chris Connor said:
Bob,
What altitude where you at when you took the picture of the covered bridge. They are all great pics by the way :) .
Chris
About 500' AGL -- I used a zoom lens.

Also, I agree with your answer about the green arc.

Dave Siciliano said:
Yes! And why are the warning lights labeled so formally--Mr. Temp and Mr. Chip!!

Dave
Main rotor (gearbox) temperature, and main rotor chip detector (essentially a magnet to trap any metal floating around the gearbox and then set off the warning if it gets one).

Last edited:
I edited a couple times to get it right and added two scanned pages from the POH
Looks like you had a great flying day.

:D Me Green with envy.

Chris

RotaryWingBob said:
One of my partners and I decided to go for a joyride today, and fly out over his house and then over a corn maze we had fown over last July. We shared the flying, then came back and each ran a couple of patterns. It was hazy, but nice smooth air.

Anyway, here are some pictures...

They show:
The view during departure.
The corn maze then and now.
A covered bridge over the Brandywine river.
Scenic downtown West Chester, PA.
And what a helicopter approach looks like.

That's pretty cool. I have to say tho - the Turn Coordinator in a helicopter should have a picture of a helo, not a plane...someone should invent one that way instead.

NickDBrennan said:
That's pretty cool. I have to say tho - the Turn Coordinator in a helicopter should have a picture of a helo, not a plane...someone should invent one that way instead.
Ya know... I have no answer for that! You're right... but then the gyro would probably cost 10 times as much :yes:
:heli:

Bob that is just to cool. I'm looking forward to a ride. I don't see an OBS do you stick to straight pilotage and dead reckoning.

AdamZ said:
Bob that is just to cool. I'm looking forward to a ride. I don't see an OBS do you stick to straight pilotage and dead reckoning.
There's a Garmin 250XL at the bottom of the stack. :)

Fabulous pictures, Bob. Makes me homesick for Hunterdon and Sussex Counties where I did a lot of growing up. I think I know that bridge...just not quite from that POV.

terry

Chris Connor said:
:D Me Green with envy.

Chris
Chris, I'm still waiting for the rich uncle who I didn't know I had to pass on and leave me a brand new Jet Ranger :yes:

Helos Rule!

Dave Siciliano said:

Dave
What else would you expect, Dave, in Mr. Helicopter :)

The main rotor gearbox has a high temperature warning (MR TEMP) and a chip detector warning (MR CHIP). There is a tail rotor chip detector as well. The chip detectors trap any loose metal with a magnet causing them to compete a circuit to set off the warning. Loose metal in a gearbox is not a good thing :(

Last edited:
Back