A Happy ending

Bob Bement

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Bement
I have been away from the computer for a while. I had a call from the The Malheur county dispatch. The Sheriff wanted me to fly to look for a lost two year out boy. He was missing out in the sagebrush country of eastern Oregon. I flew along with a deputy the 50 miles to an area called McNultys reservoir. I flew for about 1 hours and 20 minutes, without any luck. By this time it was getting dark, as the call didn't come until about 8:00 PM. They searched all through the night to no avail. I got another call at 5:58 the next morning wanting to know if I could fly again. I flew another 3 hours an 30 minutes on the second day and the two year old was still missing. A young girl on a horse finally found him after he had been missing for 16 hours. He was tired, scratched, and thirsty, but otherwise in good shape. He had wandered away from his grandmother. Some of the searchers had spotted a cougar in the area of the search. Very luck little guy. I was a little tired from that low level flying.

Good on ya', Bob.

I owe you a cold one. Collect at Gaston's '07.

/s/ Spike

Fourthed. People like you keep this place great, you know?

It's good to see an aircraft utilized for something so valuable and to which it is so well suited. I bet it made headlines.

Dave Krall CFII said:
It's good to see an aircraft utilized for something so valuable and to which it is so well suited. I bet it made headlines.

Yes Dave, The Media people were all over this story. We had two fixed wing aircraft ( C 182s ) and two helicopters One a millitary type. I couldn't guess how many people on foot, four wheelers, and horse back. This was an area that I was familar with as I fly some for the rancher that runs his cattle in this area. In fact one of his daughters heard the boy and rode her horse to him. As I mentioned at the start it turned out to be a happy ending. It was on Channel 7 and 6 Boise TV. This happened around the first part of June this year. Bob

Back