A full tank of Avgas and 3 days

USAF JD

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
As summer winds down the wife decided we need a little family getaway leaving tomorrow and getting back no later than Friday. The original plan was hitting Mammoth Cave and maybe Holiday World on the way back. Unfortunately the weather gods are not working with us and are predicting rain and storm down there.

I should mention that we are in the Chicago area (3CK).

Any ideas besides the Dells?

I should mention that we are in the Chicago area ?

Oh, since you mentioned Chicago, I think I get the point of the thread title:

Elwood: There's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark out, and we're wearing sunglasses. Joliet Jake: Hit it!

I can recommend Mackinac Island, at the far end of Lake Michigan. Maybe 20,000 tourists on a summer weekend, but no motor vehicles. Land at KMCD, phone to get a carriage to take you to your hotel. Lots of hotels. Lots of horse-drawn carriage taxis. Lots of rental bikes.

Rent bikes to pedal around the island (about 7 mile circumference). Hike a little from the bikepath/road to see a few points of interest in the state park such as an arch.

Edit: Bring rope for the tie-downs, and buy fuel elsewhere. The state park will charge you $10 to land and $10 per night to park, but they provide you no rope. I think it's worth it.

MackinacIsland_500x281.jpg

Last edited:
I was just looking at a trip around the lake. I have three boys to entertain so we are looking at dune buggy rentals in Silver Lake, then up to Traverse City or Kinackanacktac, then head west across the UP and home through WI.

I did that trip on the Duc a few years ago and had a great time. I don't see my boys being to excited about the island. I remember the fort being cool and a lot of fudge shops.

Back