A Follow Up to a flight

Thrance

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Thrance
About a month ago I first posted a few questions about flight following, Denver airspace, and meat bomb dogs.

Well this last weekend was my trip. What a learning experience beyond what flight school could have taught me.

The trip was filed for a 0630 departure. I was woken at 0400 by one of the meat bombs with the need to go pee. As I let the dogs out I noticed it was raining.. Knowing my flight was VFR and I had to cross a 7000+ foot pass 10nm from KBZN I called up flight service checked the weather. The outlook was for MVFR flight till 0800 when it would improve to VFR. I changed my departure time to 0845 to give a bit of extra time. My first leg went fine.

I checked the weather for my next leg at KWRL. There was a small rain storm between KWRL and KCPR. I decided to navigate around the storm and continue on. No problems right? Well this added an hour of flight time and by the time I reached KCPR another storm had had developed from Denver to the Wyoming state line.

Once again I called up flight service modified my flight plan to KTOR. After landing at 1300 I learned the storms would remain till 1800 with 1.5 hours remaining to fly I had to suck it up and call it a day.

It was disappointing not reaching my intended destination but had a renewed confidence in my decision making. In the future though I would not leave KWRL if I had to reroute that far off of a flight course. Had I waited 30 minutes I would not have had the first storm to deal with AND I would have learned of the storm over Denver and would have headed back home.

The return trip to KWRL was uneventful. From KWRL to KBZN wad 1.5 hours of light turbulence and an 20 kt headwind. The landing at KBZN was immediately interesting. The active run way was 30 with winds from 220 at 15 g 23.. Not good for a C172. I requested and received clearance for runway 21. After what seemed to be an hour on Final I touched down with a greaser. And probably sounded elated when I confirmed ground .8..

Other lessons, my first leg I kept finding myself a 4 miles off using the ancient gps that was installed and switched to using the VOR predominately. I had only had a few brief lessons using a VOR as I learned in aircraft with g430, 530s, and 1000s and always did cross country flights using that. It took me 5 minutes to remember all if the rules for VOR flight but now I feel as if I have it mastered.

Cool. Nice job watching the weather.

I believe that day was the day it rained here most of the afternoon over a wide area, which is quite rare for us.

Sorry it ruined your plans, but glad you made good decisions and stayed away. ;)

That's the first time I've read someone saying they learned predominantly in a GPS equipped aircraft and had to remember how to use a VOR.

Thus, I officially feel old now. ;)

Sounds like it all worked out well. How did the dachsies do? and the wife too, right?

Well, the Terrier did fine! She hopped in the back, was leached in laid down and went to sleep.. The Dachshund hopped in the back laid down trying to hide behind the Terrier and shook in fear for the first 30 minutes after each take off and then again during decent for landing.

The wife, well.... she was fine until we flew around the storm headed southbound. It made her uncomfortable to have a change in plans. The flight back was fine until we hit the turbulence where she was nervous. I personally thought it was light turbulence - a light bumping with occasional gusts that rocks the wings 10 to 15 degrees, and occasional downdrafts and updrafts causing at absolute most a 100 ft altitude change.

The landing in Bozeman made her nervous as I apparently said about 20 minutes prior to landing "Okay, I need to concentrate and this is my serious face" I don't remember saying this but I was in the zone with concentrating on my landing. Even thought I was not acting panicked or nervous (acceding to her) what made her uncomfortable was seeing me so focused so she felt as if we were in trouble.

Overall it was fun.. About the VOR vs GPS.. I am not sure you should feel old; most people as far as I know still learn pretty strict VOR stuff. Although, it should be said, I still remember how to use an ADF for navigation and have used it a few times.

Back