A finger-up from Europe to the USA

peter-h

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
peter-h
Here is a nice article on what has just happened here.

Sounds like a pretty sorry state of affairs.

If a pilot is visiting Europe, how long can he stay without becoming subject to those requirements?

It's difficult to say because the regs are based on whether the operator (not the pilot) is based in the EU.

I think that in the simple case of a private owner-pilot, where (prob99) pilot=operator, a US pilot could stay in the EU for a long time. If he got ramp checked, he could pull out documentation showing he lives in the USA, etc.

One problem is that some EU countries have applied for the 2 year derogation/delay (e.g. the UK, till April 2014) but most have not. So landing in the UK would perhaps be fine (though nobody knows, because the derogation appears to be aimed at exempting pilots based there) but in most other places you could get ramp checked and arrested / the aircraft impounded if the airport policeman thinks you live in the UK, and you don't have the EASA pilot papers (have just the FAA ones).

I don't think this would happen but the law is technically in place since yesterday and with "operator" etc not defined anywhere, nobody knows...

The big EASA doc which has the wording is giving me problems downloading right now but this UK CAA one, page 15 has the words. The operative words are 1 (c)

"registered in a 3rd country..."

3rd Country basically means N-reg.

I have some links at the bottom of here.

Last edited:
Back