A final toast for the Doolittle Raiders

Was hoping for one more reunion of the B-25's in Dayton. I have a 95, soon to be 96 year old friend that reported on the war and wants me to take him to the reunion.

Does anyone know if one is scheduled for 2014?

Was hoping for one more reunion of the B-25's in Dayton. I have a 95, soon to be 96 year old friend that reported on the war and wants me to take him to the reunion.

Does anyone know if one is scheduled for 2014?

It was always held in conjunction with the Raiders reunion so I doubt it. Since the T-Birds are a victim of the budget, I doubt the USAF would then subsidize a big flyin.

The display case with the goblets and Brandy has a permanent location at the USAF Museum.

I had the honor to meet some of remaining members when they had the last big shindig at the Nutter Center near WPAFB a couple of years ago.

Cheers

You probably would recognize the name of the 95 year old I am referring to. He is a long time Kettering resident

Sad.
I've watched the number of Raiders dwindle over the last decade, and feared the day when the bottle would be opened and the last reunion would be had. And here it is.

My mission is to tell 10 people the story of the Raiders this week, and to make sure my nieces and nephews know the bravery and sacrifice of these amazing men. Not enough know the story and understand the willing choices these men made.

Sad.
I've watched the number of Raiders dwindle over the last decade, and feared the day when the bottle would be opened and the last reunion would be had. And here it is.

My mission is to tell 10 people the story of the Raiders this week, and to make sure my nieces and nephews know the bravery and sacrifice of these amazing men. Not enough know the story and understand the willing choices these men made.

I wish to join you in this mission.

When I was around 11 years old, I read "30 Seconds Over Tokyo," and even at that age, their bravery (and the not-inconsequential acts of many Chinese who helped them after, often at great price) moved me. I discussed them with my father, who by the time of the raid was in the Pacific in harm's way, and he spoke with great determination of how much it meant to all on his ship when they heard of it. My dad is three years gone, and indeed we are about to lose the last of these heroes.

I admit to tears in my eyes just now.

I admit to tears in my eyes just now.
Not just you, my friend.

I will be eternally sorry I never got to a Raiders reunion event, and could never express my gratitude to them.

Back