A "Disco" Flight...

jshawley

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Shawley
Well, before I forget all the details, I'll recall my wife's first flight, Saturday, June 14th.

Got up usual time, went out to the airport (M17). Dean and Wendell are going to PTS, but Mary has decided to try and get into the plane (PA-28 140). She has had some physical problems, and ingress/egress had been problematic.

Well, her sprained wrist he healed sufficiently to enable her (with some help) to get in and out.

So, up we go, and the day is almost perfectly smooth. Flew over Stockton Lake, Pomme de Terre Lake, then over the house (no steep turns, too queasy).

Back to the home 'drome. Landing wasn't ATP quality, but... She didn't kneel and kiss the ground, so...

Off to run sound at a wedding at church; I get home, and she has decided we need to cook steaks on the grill--but not ours, but our elder son's grill up in Fulton (FTT). So, off we go, visit David and Joy with grandchildren Kelsey and Jacob.

They pulled up as we were taxiing to the FBO. Enjoyed some good sirloin steaks, then back to the airport to saddle up and return home.

After preflighting the plane, four-year-old Kelsey hops up and looks in the plane. I think she'll soon be ready to fly with Paw-paw.

Enroute back, Mizzou Approach advises us of Bonanze descending at our two-o'clock, which Mary sees before I do (good for her).

Got her to take a couple of photos of the sunset as we transited over Lake of the Ozarks at 6,500ft, then on to M17, where we landed at 9:05pm, early enough to not worry about night currency.

All in all, a great flight, and good first XC for Mary. Super smooth, incredibly calm. All told, about 3.8 hours on the Hobbs.

Attachments

• DSCF0064.JPG
    DSCF0064.JPG
    338.2 KB · Views: 11
Took you a while to get her flying. Your choice or hers? It's always nice to introduce people to GA. And it is especially nice to fly with someone you really like.

The day I got my ticket, I was beat. My tru friend was at the airport to congratulate me. With out a second thought, I invited her for a short ride around Plymouth bay. 20 minutes later, we were back on the ground and on our way to celebrate; again!

She claims she'll fly with me any time. (Just wait till I get an IR.)

Back