A different take on the Apollo missions.

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
It's easy to forget in the triumph of the astronauts, that forty years ago America was in a war where several American soldiers were prisoners, and did not learn about the moon landing until much later, if ever.

There is a story in the Herald-Mail today to provide a view on how a few of those POWs used our Apollo program in their own way. Very interesting read.

http://www.herald-mail.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id=227101&format=html

Today, July 20, 2009, marks the 40th anniversary of the first moon landing by astronaut Neil Armstrong. Almost everyone who was alive at the time will remember the day. They will remember where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news.
I, too, remember where I was and what I was doing on that day, However, I did not hear the news of the moon landing for several more years. I was a prisoner of war in North Vietnam and on July 20, 1969, I was in a small box that sat out in the sun in the third month of a prolonged interrogation about what the Communists were convinced was an escape attempt. Although we did not hear any news about the actual moon landing, the Apollo program did affect us in an interesting way because we thought the landing had happened several months earlier.

Five and half years.

Such as I have no idea.

Salute.

Back