A day as a pilot

well it was for production test, basically take brand new 172/182/206 off production line, go out make sure it doesnt fall apart, deliver. Of course im sure its more complicated than this but its not like you are proving a new design. I will go into engineering once my degree is finished, I have no desire to be an airline pilot. Maybe some 135 work if the opportunity arises.

tonycondon said:
well it was for production test, basically take brand new 172/182/206 off production line, go out make sure it doesnt fall apart, deliver. Of course im sure its more complicated than this but its not like you are proving a new design. I will go into engineering once my degree is finished, I have no desire to be an airline pilot. Maybe some 135 work if the opportunity arises.

I realise production test isn't as sexy as development testing, but it could serve as a good foot in the door at a place like Cessna.

I'm fairly new to aircraft design/certification engineering (6 months into my first job in the field), but let me know if I can help you out in any way as you move in that direction. It can be fun work.

Chris

cwyckham said:
I realise production test isn't as sexy as development testing, but it could serve as a good foot in the door at a place like Cessna.

thats kinda what im thinking. I think it would be quite fun too. I have this affliction, I have fallen in love with little airplanes. The big jets and stuff just dont have the appeal they once had...still love the smell though.

Depending on the state of the industry, Cessna's requirements for production test pilots vary... Right now, with lots of airline folks on furlough, they are high. But back when you could get hired by a regional with something like 500 TT and 50 MEL (2002?), Cessna wanted 750 TT, and didn't care about the CFII or degree, as long as you could communicate well orally and in writing. (CFII was a bonus so that you could give customers transition training and such on the delivery flight). Cirrus was much the same when they started ramping up for the SR20.

So, like everything else, timing is everything. Good news is the airlines seem to be rehiring.

this was a couple years ago when everyone was layed off from the airlines.

cwyckham said:
Do we have anybody on the board with test piloting experience?

Chris

Kind of, I've quite a few first flight on homebuilts done to a proven design, and done the test flights on 2 new homebuilt designs and may have a third coming up that will be rather revolutionary. I mostly got into it by being the only person stupid enough to strap it on. "I ain't gonna try it you try it. I ain't gonna try it, you try it... Hey, let's get Henning...He'll fly anything..." type of deal. I ain't dead yet, but it's come close. It has taught me quite a bit though.

Back