A darned good reason not to live out West...

It was probably Audey Murphy, you know, the most decorated WWII Veteran turned movie actor. I don't think he was very tall.

Murphy was 5'5" tall, so that is quite possible.

“Heroes" in the movies couldn't be “short” like that

Who was the Western actor who always had to have the ladies walking down trenches so he wasn't tiny next to them? Hmm.

That would be Kirk Vilb who played the title role in "Scott of the Antarctic".

Like we needed another reason!?

Much as the born and raised Californian in me wants to bring up the merits of the West Coast, it's good that people have area specific preferences. If people want to decide that something like valley disease, the once in a life-time major Earthquake, or a large Latino population outweigh the benefits of California living, then I'm totally cool with that, the rent is high enough as is...

Pssh…

I got Valley fever and bronchitis at the same time, which also gave me pneumonia in my early 20s and lived to tell about it.

You got to be tough to live West of the Mississippi…

That's why the wimpy people stayed east of the Mississippi while the West was won.

:D

:yes: The population west of the Rockies are mostly descendants of those who did not give up on the trek West. (Except mine, they came around the Horn....we've always been lazy :D)

Who was the Western actor who always had to have the ladies walking down trenches so he wasn't tiny next to them? Hmm.
I think you're thinking of Alan Ladd. As mentioned, Audie Murphy was short, too, but since they typically had him in boy-next-door sort of roles (not always, of course), showing him as short wasn't as impacting. Alan Ladd was a tough-guy sort, and they probably worked to hide that he was short. Lots of comments online about his standing on a box for some scenes.

Ron Wanttaja

Rattle snakes, scorpions, Gila monsters, Thunderstorms, flash floods, Valley Fever, Terrible heat, people carrying guns, Stay away from AZ

And the earthquakes! Oh my gosh the earthquakes, they'll crack open and swallow you up. Stay away!

Rattle snakes, scorpions, Gila monsters, Thunderstorms, flash floods, Valley Fever, Terrible heat, people carrying guns, Stay away from AZ

Don't forget the blue hairs on the highway in the winter…

Back