A convert to the bright side?

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
Yesterday was recurrency training day (we require our pilots to do this every six months). "Dr. Phil" who flies Chopper 3 in Philly, is also a DPE, and who is probably the best CFI I've ever flown with, gave us a two hour ground school, mostly in tail rotor aerodynamics, followed by in-flight instruction tailored to the individual pilots. In my case we practiced run-on landings after a hydraulics failure, recovery from "Oh sh*t, I'm not gonna clear the trees", and some really neat autorotation stuff that I had heard about but never practiced. All stuff way beyond the PTS.

Anyway, after that I needed a dose of recreational flying, so after relaxing a bit, I planned to take a joyride in the R22. There's a young lad who is a CFI at the local flight school who was sitting around waiting for his next student, about two hours off. So I asked him if he wanted a helicopter ride, and his eyes lit way up.

It was a warm day so asked him if he was comfortable with the doors removed, which he was. I removed the left seat flight controls, briefed him, and then we went for a tour of Chester County, PA. It was really neat. I've never seen anybody get so fired up on a ride! He said he loved everything about it -- great visibility, low flight over terrain, the fact that you can actually see people on the ground (I fly over swimming pools alot in the summer :yes: ).

After we landed and I put the helicopter away, he was curious about how the controls and sprag clutch worked, so I unzipped the cowling and showed him. The guy was so taken by all this, he started asking about what it would take to do the add-on to his fixed-wing commercial.

Who knows? Maybe I've won another pilot over from the dark side :D

Rotors Rule!

:heli:

Who knows? Maybe I've won another pilot over from the dark side :D

Rotors Rule!
Bob, two things?

Why is it you never trust someone sitting in the other seat and remove the controls? Are rotorheads incapable of remaining in control? :)

Why is a rotor the most common means of clearing a sewage drain? :D

:goofy:

Excellent Bob! I'm still trying to save so I can go that route ;)

Why is it you never trust someone sitting in the other seat and remove the controls?

a) In my case because I didn't survive Vietnam only to get killed by a passenger. ;)

b) It's good risk management practice.

c) Because of b), many insurance carriers (including ours) require the left seat controls to be removed if the occupant of that seat is not a rated helicopter pilot .

d) Scary stories abound on helicopter sites about stupid things PAX and students have done. Except for a slight amount of roll stability, helicopters are basically unstable aircraft, unlike most airplanes. I was flying around one time with a 7000 hour ATP-RH rated pilot in the left seat (CFI/II rated as well). He reached to play with the GPS and damn near knocked the cyclic out of my hand.

That's why :D

Maybe...untill he finds out how much it will cost and how hard it is to find a place to rent a Rotor.

There's a variety of Robbies and Schweizers available around this area. The guy in the hangar next to ours rents his R22 at not much more than the local flight school rents a new 172 for.

Back