A Checkride Memory

rpadula

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
PancakeBunny
So, I was reminiscing about my IR checkride in another thread, and it made me remember this about it:

He told me exactly where he would fail me if I did something, which I promptly made sure I didn't do.
The approach in question was the VOR/DME-B to MDQ.

Any guesses?

So, I was reminiscing about my IR checkride in another thread, and it made me remember this about it:

The approach in question was the VOR/DME-B to MDQ.

Any guesses?

Im gonna say the VOR and the PT outbound leg.
Was Clyde your examiner by chance??

Ya that guys pretty famous..I would bet a fair amount of guys decend to MDA before the VOR...gotta respect the vertical navigation as much as the lateral

Ya that guys pretty famous..I would bet a fair amount of guys decend to MDA before the VOR...gotta respect the vertical navigation as much as the lateral
The issue isn't what happens before the VOR, but after. You're getting warmer when you say we have to respect both the lateral and vertical nav.

The issue isn't what happens before the VOR, but after. You're getting warmer when you say we have to respect both the lateral and vertical nav.

I bet people begin descending before they're properly established on the new radial after crossing the VOR.

What do I win?

I'm gonna say, failing to respect the intermediate limit of 1,940 at 3DME from the VOR; if you like to "dive & drive," you might forget to observe that.

You noticed that you had to descend about 2000 feet in 2 miles, and promptly slowed the plane way down?

Chris

You noticed that you had to descend about 2000 feet in 2 miles, and promptly slowed the plane way down?

Where do you have to descend 2000 feet in 2 miles? :dunno:

If you're talking about the descent after HUTUN, that's 1940 - 755 = 1185 feet to airport elevation - And don't forget, this is a circling-only approach, not even close to being aligned with the runway. The closest route to the runway would be to break off to the right for a left base to 36, which will add some extra distance.

The real difficulty is going to be when the ceiling is *just* above minimums, if you don't drop that last 620 feet fast enough, the airport is gonna be under the cowl by the time you're out of the clouds and you won't see it and have to go missed. Low vis under the ceiling would make it significantly more difficult.

I don't know what your examiner would have said, but assuming RQZ is your IAF, after passing RQZ you would intercept the 250 radial outbound while maintaining 3600 or higher and once established, you could descend to 2900 ft and perform the procedure turn.

If you were using a GPS such as a 430 to navigate the approach, you could use the GPS function until the FAF inbound (RQZ) at which time you would have to select VLOC for your HSI and have the OBS set to 070. The best option would be to tune the VORTAC and identify RQZ before you arrived at RQZ (IAF) and once you were inbound from the procedure turn, set the OBS to 070 and switch to VLOC on intercepting. At the VOR, turn to 042 for final and reset the OBS to 042, start your descent, intercept and track your final course. The airport has pilot controlled lighting so click away on the unicom to make sure they are on the highest intensity.

If you have a DME, you can identify the procedure turn limit, the step-down fix at HUTUN and the MAP at HISUE, other wise you can identify them using the GPS waypoints. Don't descend below the step down fix. Don't descend below the MDA until the runway is in sight and you are on final. If circling to land on runway 36, I would overfly the runway and do a right crosswind, space out 10 to 15 seconds for a right downwind to land on 36 because right traffic is used for 36. If I was landing on 18, I would continue past the runway for 15 to 20 seconds and then turn left downwind to land on 18.

Ahh, screw it. Is there a GPS approach with VNAV I can fly with my WAAS GPS on autopilot?

Back