A-36 down at Cameron Park

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
http://fox40.trb.com/

I didn't see this posted on here. Lots of discussion of this on the Beech board. Looks as if he took off with a 10 knot tail wind, high DA and heavy. Speculation is he wasn't making full power.

Best,

Dave

http://fox40.trb.com/

I didn't see this posted on here. Lots of discussion of this on the Beech board. Looks as if he took off with a 10 knot tail wind, high DA and heavy. Speculation is he wasn't making full power.

Best,

Dave

I heard there were two crashes at that airport today... that's amazing (and shocking to watch) that they caught the second one on video as it occurred. Wow.

Also lots of discussion on the Mooney list, even though it was a Bonanza. Lots of speculation but not really any facts apparent. They did manage to find the omnipresent witness who heard the engine "sputter."

One of the pilots interviewed was Stew Wilson, who Grumman afficionados will recognize as a long-time officer of the American Yankee Association.

Best wishes to the injured in their recovery,

Jon

Some of the guys that fly out of that airport say the Bonanza should have been off the ground and flying before mid-field (with normal power). Of course, no one knows what happened yet, but that's what's prompting the speculation about the plane not making full power. A couple folks that know the pilot commented that he seemed capable and had more than one plane.

Best,

Dave

Tidbits for those who don't know Cameron Park:

1. RWY 31 (crash runway) has a significant upslode beyond the runway which isn't totally obvious as to its extent/height when standing on the ruwnay. The whole world slopes up in that direction with mountains on either side adding to the visual illusion that the world is flatter than it is.

2. RWY 13 (opposite direction) appears to have a large hill blocking the departure path. Confirming this initial impression, the RWY 31 threshold is significantly displaced due to the large hill blocking the approach path to RWY 31. What isn't obvious when standing on the runway is that a slight deviation right (i.e. ~ 30 degree turn) when departing RWY 13 takes one around the hill via a very flat area/golf course into a region with no significant obstructions for several miles and, in fact, with another slight turn enters a downhill sled run to the Sacramento valley along the US 50 corridor.

IOW, the pilot may have opted for a tail wind thinking RWY 31 offered the best restricted performance departure route based on visual impressions from the runway, but which is unfortunately not true.

Back