A-320 fuselage height

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
What is the height above ground of the lowest part of the fuselage on the A-320? What would be required to close a fueling panel mounted on the fuselage? Could a six foot man reach and secure the door unaided with a step ladder?

What is the height above ground of the lowest part of the fuselage on the A-320? What would be required to close a fueling panel mounted on the fuselage? Could a six foot man reach and secure the door unaided with a step ladder?

I'm 5'11" and I can walk under the A320 by just slightly bending over.

The refueling panel is located near the wing root on the belly right hand side.

The panel is easily accessible and is secured by two latches. I can walk up, open and close the refueling door without any step ladder.

a320refuel_zpsff4052f1.jpg

Last edited:
Trying to figure out why his flight was delayed so long for an open panel ;)

Nauga
who has come back with fewer than he left with

Why the question?

A Lufthansa A-320 at KJFK pulled out of the queue to secure a refueling panel. The Lufthansa pilot had said he could climb out of the aircraft to secure the panel. It was on LiveATC.

I had thought that even if a man could reach the panel would he be able to secure the panel in the closed position. I have no knowledge of the types of mechanisms used to secure the panel.

A Lufthansa A-320 at KJFK pulled out of the queue to secure a refueling panel. The Lufthansa pilot had said he could climb out of the aircraft to secure the panel. It was on LiveATC.

I had thought that even if a man could reach the panel would he be able to secure the panel in the closed position. I have no knowledge of the types of mechanisms used to secure the panel.

They are two simple latches. When the door opens it releases a microswitch to tell the ECAM that the door is open.

In some countries they do not allow the fueler to open the door and toggle in the amount of the needed fuel load, so one of the pilots has to go down and open and enter that for them.

Some airlines don't have the fuel panel controls installed on the A320 fuselage but only have it on the under side of the right wing next to the single point refueling port. A minimum of a ten foot ladder is needed to reach it iff you don't have a lift truck. Makes refueling at divert stations sporty sometimes.

Back