_______ Yankees

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
sigh, i cant really describe what it is with about the yankees, but i just don't like them. oh well maybe next year the Twins will win it all.

Uhhmm Tony, aren't we not supposed to be bypassing the profanity filter??? :D

Wow I just checked yhe Y*****s have won 27 out of 107 world series titles. That's just a bit over 25%. Is there any other sport where one team has been so utterly dominant?

Wow I just checked yhe Y*****s have won 27 out of 107 world series titles. That's just a bit over 25%. Is there any other sport where one team has been so utterly dominant?

They are pretty much THE dynasty team of any sport, anywhere.

I have to admit, I like watching them play. I don't like THEM, but I do like watching them. I guess it comes from having to watch so many decades of bad baseball in KC, that I take a guilty pleasure in watching a team that can play the game at that level.

true enough matthew. they are a great team. they are one of the only teams ive seen that can be behind by 3 or 4 runs and still make the winning team feel like they're losing.

We used to be that dominant in sailing (America's Cup). Not anymore.

true enough matthew. they are a great team. they are one of the only teams ive seen that can be behind by 3 or 4 runs and still make the winning team feel like they're losing.

Exactly - I don't know how many times I've seen them in the 8th of 9th inning, behind by 3-4, still standing on the top step of the dugout, knowing they are still in it, and many times win those games.

Contrast that with the Royals who, when they get behind by 1, in the first, retreat to the back of the dugout, knowing it's already over.

ugh.

Who's up for a road trip to Omaha for the College World Series next year?

Have the Royals won a game since Goerge Brett retired??? :D

Have the Royals won a game since Goerge Brett retired??? :D

Yeah, once. Zach Greinke pitched a 9 inning shutout. And got a 1-0 win.

The sad thing is, I bet Brett could put his uniform back on and STILL make the team.

They are getting better, they didn't lose 100 games this year.

The Phillies will be back next year with stronger pitching and will face the Yanks again in the World Series.

We used to be that dominant in sailing (America's Cup). Not anymore.

I used to think that the US Olympic basketball team was it. But since the NBA has gotten so international, it's pretty much just an all-star exhibition anymore.

Yeah thet Greinke kid is pretty good, I just wonder when the Y*****s will sign him. Unfortunately it's just a matter of time.

Contrast that with the Royals who, when they get behind by 1, in the first, retreat to the back of the dugout, knowing it's already over.

I lived in KC for about 20 years. I finally concluded that the best thing I could say about the Royals was, "Well, they have a really nice stadium". :D

Trapper John

IIRC the last time the Royals were in the World Series they lost to the Phillies in 1980

Yeah thet Greinke kid is pretty good, I just wonder when the Y*****s will sign him. Unfortunately it's just a matter of time.

Heh - it's always fun to watch all the ex-Royals in the Word Series - Damon and Ibanez come to mind. KC must have some kind of talent-repellent in the water.

IIRC the last time the Royals were in the World Series they lost to the Phillies in 1980

They did lose to Philadelphia in '80. They did win it in '85, even though Cardinals fans STILL cry and complain about getting cheated.

The Phillies will be back next year with stronger pitching and will face the Yanks again in the World Series.

We've said the same about the Braves the past few years. My brother-in-law works for the Braves' AA Rome, Ga team, and will go to the Atlanta team in a couple of years. His take is, that they are indeed going to be a challenger in the NL East soon. He is, BTW, a Yankees fan, as far as American League teams go. We'll see.

That brings back good memories. I had season tickets then, and got to attend all the home games in the series. Saw Denkening's bad call on TV from Waco while visiting our kids in college at Baylor. Cardinal fans had good reason to think they were hosed.

Then Brett got us an invite to Ewing Kaufman's (team owner at the time) victory party in the restaurant at the stadium after the final game, so we got to hob-nob with the big shots for a bit. George was a good friend, dated my daughter's best friend for a while and came to the Christmas and New Year's parties at my house several times. Our friends were amazed the first time he showed up. I still see him occasionally.

quote=Matthew;512955]They did lose to Philadelphia in '80. They did win it in '85, even though Cardinals fans STILL cry and complain about getting cheated.[/quote]

That brings back good memories. I had season tickets then, and got to attend all the home games in the series. Saw Denkening's bad call on TV from Waco while visiting our kids in college at Baylor. Cardinal fans had good reason to think they were hosed.

Then Brett got us an invite to Ewing Kaufman's (team owner at the time) victory party in the restaurant at the stadium after the final game, so we got to hob-nob with the big shots for a bit. George was a good friend, dated my daughter's best friend for a while and came to the Christmas and New Year's parties at my house several times. Our friends were amazed the first time he showed up. I still see him occasionally.

quote=Matthew;512955]They did lose to Philadelphia in '80. They did win it in '85, even though Cardinals fans STILL cry and complain about getting cheated.
[/quote]

Those were good days, in a lot of ways they are gone forever. Free-agency has robbed a lot of cities of players who belonged to the 'city' and not just the 'team'. Brett, White, and Quiz are a couple of examples of guys who belonged to the city.

We've said the same about the Braves the past few years. My brother-in-law works for the Braves' AA Rome, Ga team, and will go to the Atlanta team in a couple of years. His take is, that they are indeed going to be a challenger in the NL East soon. He is, BTW, a Yankees fan, as far as American League teams go. We'll see.

One of my most fond memories was when the Phils beat the Braves in the NLCS in the early to mid 90s The days of The Wild Thing , Mitch Williams( We lost to Tornonto of all Teams in the series)I was at the old Vet Stadium and When the Phils scored a HR all the fans errupted in that na na nanana naaaa tomahawk chant more so mocking Jane Fonda than the braves as the fan a vision screed kept giving us close up shots of her.

One of my most fond memories was when the Phils beat the Braves in the NLCS in the early to mid 90s The days of The Wild Thing , Mitch Williams( We lost to Tornonto of all Teams in the series)I was at the old Vet Stadium and When the Phils scored a HR all the fans errupted in that na na nanana naaaa tomahawk chant more so mocking Jane Fonda than the braves as the fan a vision screed kept giving us close up shots of her.

There were some great playoffs between the Braves and the Pirates for a number of seasons.

The Montreal Canadiens have won 22 out of 82 (26.8%) awarding of the Stanley Cup since the NHL was established.

Thats when the NHL was the NHL I remember when the Flyer's were called and expansion team LOL. It was never the same after they expanded past 16 teams.

Thats when the NHL was the NHL I remember when the Flyer's were called and expansion team LOL. It was never the same after they expanded past 16six teams.

There, fixed that for ya. Heck, a later expansion team (Islanders) have won more cups than the Flyers!

Cole Hamels and Brad Lidge really needed to step up. Did they? NO. :mad3:

I still like this Phillies team.

The 93 guys were bums. Well, maybe not, but I never got the sense that they could come back. This Phillies team just never quit. Great team spirit. Gotta love Charlie Manuel. I just wish Reuben Amaro Jr. would work some of his magic on the middle relievers, because they stink on toast. Ibanez, Ruiz, Feliz, Francisco? Great acquisitions. I thought hiring Amaro Jr was a mistake. He proved me wrong.

GO PHILLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Next year, we'll be back.

Back