9 Day flight around the country...with video!

Gnomad

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
eparker99
Hi,

Last month I flew a 9 day trip out of Charlotte, NC wandering NW toward Seattle. Then turning south, following the Coast to San Diego, before turning East and heading back home.

There was no real agenda except to explore the Western United States! :D

I've posted a couple shorter videos, pulled from the footage, here over the last couple weeks.

After a month, I've finally managed to cut all 9 days of footage together for one epic video! A friend inspired me to do this with a single innocent email. It just lit a fire in me...

I hope you all enjoy the video and maybe, just maybe it will spark something in you. :)

Did a similar trip in 2005 - flight was counter-clockwise. (I actually landed in NE on my way from IA to SD)

trip.jpg

When is the AK trip Ed?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

When is the AK trip Ed?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

When my elbow heals up. I know I'm going fishing when I head up there, and right now, I can't hold a fishing rod. Current grip strength in my left hand is 150lbs, right hand is under 70.

Sorry didnt have time for video today but the map shows it nicely, thanks. I have been to a lot of those places and indeed, a cool trip. Thanks for posting.

Nice video, Eric. Thanks for taking us along.

Great trip!
Completed an "Out and Back" from Las Vegas to Maine a few years ago. East via Pueblo, Omaha, Dayton, Niagra Falls to Maine. Returned via Scranton, Tullahoma, Sulfur Springs TX, Moriarity NM.

Next trip was to Anchorage, Fairbanks and return.

Looking forward to your Alaska trip report!

Awesome video and awesome soundtrack. Looks like you're living the dream!

Thanks for posting some of those spots look familiar. Will be doing a similar route next summer.

Great trip!
Completed an "Out and Back" from Las Vegas to Maine a few years ago. East via Pueblo, Omaha, Dayton, Niagra Falls to Maine. Returned via Scranton, Tullahoma, Sulfur Springs TX, Moriarity NM.

Next trip was to Anchorage, Fairbanks and return.

Looking forward to your Alaska trip report!

Haha Bill...

Alaska seriously crossed my mind, for a few minutes, while I was on the ground in Bellingham Washington (KBLI) refueling. I was working on finding the best way to sneak between Seattle and the Canadian boarder, without talking to anyone, out to the TOU VORTAC (as far NW I could go before turning South down the coast), when the thought appeared...ALASKA!

In retrospect, I would love to have done it, just to say I did, but it would have just been to the Southern most tip (PANT maybe), before refueling and flying straight back, since I had other places to go.

Quickly realized Alaska deserved more time and respect than that fleeting idea! :yes:

Last edited:
Thanks for posting some of those spots look familiar. Will be doing a similar route next summer.

Ditto, a trip report would be nice (FBOs, hotels, etc). If you fly direct to Alaska without stopping in Canada what extra paperwork is required other than maybe an international flight plan?

Ditto, a trip report would be nice (FBOs, hotels, etc). If you fly direct to Alaska without stopping in Canada what extra paperwork is required other than maybe an international flight plan?

Do the Alcan highway,well worth rhetoric.canada is easy.

Fun stuff. Having O2, a second engine, an IFR panel and good speed through the air makes it a pretty sweet trip. I bought a Maule in Seattle in 2013 and flew it home to Virginia. Once hone, I decided I really liked the Seattle area better, so we sold our house and moved back to the NW late in 2014. I took a different route with the plane each direction, and had a blast both trips, but it wasn't fast. I cruise at about 105 kts and I have to dodge the weather. Still, it is a great country with fabulous little airport gems scattered all across the landscape. I had some very memorable visits and hope to return to some of those favorite spots. Overall, the west is better suited to a bush plane like mine, with lots of public grass strips scattered through the mountains. I've been having a blast visiting as many as possible. Still, whatever plane you fly, a grand tour of this country is highly recommended!

Great video... You just added another item to my flying bucket list.:yes: Love your choice of music, it was the perfect sound track.:yes: Who was it??? Keep them coming...

Great video... You just added another item to my flying bucket list.:yes: Love your choice of music, it was the perfect sound track.:yes: Who was it??? Keep them coming...

My 70 year old Mom complimented the music too, I didn't tell her it was the band Tool. :eek:

The first 11 minutes or so is the song "10,000 Days (Wings Part 2)". After figuring out the video was going to be way longer than the song, I mashed in "Wings for Marie (Part 1)" which repeats once or twice. Didn't really get the transition right, but hey...glad you enjoyed it!

My 70 year old Mom complimented the music too, I didn't tell her it was the band Tool. :eek:

The first 11 minutes or so is the song "10,000 Days (Wings Part 2)". After figuring out the video was going to be way longer than the song, I mashed in "Wings for Marie (Part 1)" which repeats once or twice. Didn't really get the transition right, but hey...glad you enjoyed it!

WoW!!! If i had to guess Tool would have been my guess. Never heard that one...:) I wouldn't worry about the transitions, I never noticed them and couldn't tell you where they were...:wink2: Great job on both the video and the choice of music...:yes::yes::yes:

Back