9/11 ATC and Military recordings

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Most comprehensive set of FAA ATC and military Comms recordings of 9/11 I've yet run into.

As an Emergency Services Communicator, I've listened to many recordings of incidents and accidents. These recordings are significantly different.

The professionalism of most of those recorded remains high, but there are some mistakes and the usual levels of confusion. There's also frustration and some break-downs into cursing. Be advised.

Frankly, there's also sounds you may not wish to hear.

The portion of the ATC recording released from American Flight 93 is bone-chilling.

I mention it because even though this is the edited stuff, and there was more than this played for people cleared to hear it, what was left is truly awful and I don't want anyone surprised by it.

As pilots, put yourself in the seats of the other pilots on frequency (if you weren't already up there that day) and the controller's chair. Imagine controllers talking to supervisors in the silent gaps in their recordings and fellow controllers and supervisors plugging in at their stations.

The sound of these people's voices tells a story that otherwise might not be known.

Technical info: The FAA recordings include the in-line communication direct from the controller on the scopes and many recordings of back-lines between Center, TRACON, and Tower location's on-duty supervisors up their chain of command. If you're not used to hearing it, controllers have what are essentially telephone lines which can be patched to their headsets while working traffic, and they regularly use them for "point-outs" to adjacent sectors both above/below and laterally. Many of the initial procedures are exactly what you hear when an aircraft goes NORDO in the IFR system at first. It takes a while for everyone to figure out what's really going on.

As for the military unclassified recordings contained in this compilation, some are telephone conference bridges, some are radio loops (mainly the battle stations alert recordings for Otis and Langley), and at least one is digital comm direct with two flights of fighters judging by the audio. Folks with a military background may recognize some of these callsigns which were well-known at the time. (I'm not going to get into that... if you listen and think about the chain of command, you'll figure out close-enough who's who.)

In a former life, I stood not ten feet away from where one of the FAA guys is talking from on one of the conference calls, and installed the software and firmware in the conference bridge. I feel a small but noticeable personal connection to at least a couple of these recordings. That gear may or may not have still been in service by 2001, I honestly don't know. But I've stood there. In the room. I've heard that particular recording set before, but never in a large compilation put together in context with other recordings as close as possible.

Note: The timeline generally moves forward, but when certain recording times overlap others, time stamps jump backward when on the second and third recordings in some portions of this compilation.

There's also a few obvious audio gaps when censors dropped phone numbers, etc. and there's one section of about a minute later on that's dropped that appears to be an editing mistake.

I listen to these types of recordings both as preparedness for real incidents on any Comm watch I may hope to never have, and also as a reminder to honor those who perished. I do not post this for shock value or any agenda. Just as a pilot sharing some of the worst recorded audio I've ever encountered.

Some of you who work for airlines have heard worse recordings of this day, including telephone calls from aircraft and CVR recordings. These are edited with the worst of those removed. I have not heard those, nor do I care to.

Some of these recordings were used in various documentaries. I've not seen this many in one place, in chronological order in any of those documentaries, however. This is a very complete set.

With all of that said, this is a long set of recordings. It runs over an hour long. Please be advised before clicking on the link. It's a tough listen for all pilots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYBhgEm3j7A

Thank you to all who served on that day, eleven years ago. And may those who perished, rest in peace.

1 year ago today I started my pilot training to celebrate our freedom. Thanks for sharing - I am listening in small doses as it is too much to take all at once.

Wow, powerful recordings. I had no idea that UAL175's pilots had heard and reported AA11's inadvertent transmission by Atta, just minutes before they were themselves hijacked.

34. 084131 AA11 UA175 ZNY Reort of Suspicious Transmission Boston

UA175: New York, United 175, heavy.
New York Sector: United one seventy five, go ahead.
UA175: Ah, we figured we’d wait to go to your center, ah, we heard a suspicious
transmission, ah, on our departure out of Boston, ah, with someone, ah, uh, sounded like
someone keyed the mike and said, uh, everyone, uh, stay in your seats.
New York Sector: Oh, ok, I’ll pass that along over here.

Bone chilling listening to this. I'm through an hour so far.

I wonder if the call to ground all aircraft saved any more potential hijacks. I'm curious if there were more hajackers out there waiting to board.

Sounds like an aerial refueler was sent down to the DC area from Bangor...didn't know that.

Last edited:
Sounds like an aerial refueler was sent down to the DC area from Bangor...didn't know that.

One of many told to "just get there" that day.

I know it's been discussed on here before, but it's worth repeating - one of the best books I've read on the subject:

http://cleartheskies.com/contents.html

It follows the airline and military pilots in the skies that day, as well as the events in the FAA Centers, FAA HQ, and the various military installations who all got involved. Fantastic read.

I know it's been discussed on here before, but it's worth repeating - one of the best books I've read on the subject:

It follows the airline and military pilots in the skies that day, as well as the events in the FAA Centers, FAA HQ, and the various military installations who all got involved. Fantastic read.

Just picked up a copy for 5 bucks on amazon

Anyone else see "9/11 Voices from the Air" on the National Geographic channel the other day. It focuses on the ATC aspect of 9/11. It includes many of these recordings along with interviews with ATC, NORAD, and Air Force personnel involved that day.

What I found really interesting was the confusion in the conversations between ATC and military. Stuff like the military being unsure if it was real world or exercise and each side having a different definition of "primary target" (military kept asking for altitude and beacon code and didn't realize ATC meant no transponder). Definitely worth watching.

I just picked one up for $0.01 + $3.99 shipping.

I like selling stuff via Amazon; it's SUPER easy to list an item. HOWEVER, their shipping credit / fee never seems to be enough for the actual shipping costs, even at the discounted rates they offer. Therefore, at a one cent selling price, I'm fairly certain the seller PAID you to take the book off their hands.

Just ordered that book - thanks for the suggestion.

I like selling stuff via Amazon; it's SUPER easy to list an item. HOWEVER, their shipping credit / fee never seems to be enough for the actual shipping costs, even at the discounted rates they offer. Therefore, at a one cent selling price, I'm fairly certain the seller PAID you to take the book off their hands.

The seller has sold tens or hundreds of thousands of items, so I figure they must have it down by now.

I am actually looking into selling on Amazon. My brother-in-law closed his music store a few years ago, and I'm sitting on about 6,000 CDs, most still shrink-wrapped, in my basement.

When the call came in to respond on that day it took some time to get a grasp on the extent of what was happening. I was at CGAS Elizabeth City NJ. Our freqs were oddly calm, as if everybody was making sure they made no errors. I still can't look at photos of Manhattan without getting the same hollow detached feeling that most carried for several days afterward.

What I found really interesting was the confusion in the conversations between ATC and military. Stuff like the military being unsure if it was real world or exercise and each side having a different definition of "primary target" (military kept asking for altitude and beacon code and didn't realize ATC meant no transponder). Definitely worth watching.

The gross error I caught was the military ID Tech dropping the first two digits completely off Delta 1989's callsign.

This stuff happens in Comm...

The gross error I caught was the military ID Tech dropping the first two digits completely off Delta 1989's callsign.

This stuff happens in Comm...

Yup, she called it Delta 89 for quite a while before someone corrected her... and the facilities she contacted were all saying "we don't have a Delta 89!".

Also interesting how quickly the rumor that AA 11 was still in the air, headed south to Washington DC, spread, despite the overwhelming evidence that it had impacted the WTC tower (dropped off radar at that moment, that place).

This was very tough to listen to. Hadn't heard it before, so thanks for posting. I must admit, I watch/listen to stuff like this every year on 9/11 because it brings back the emotion and anger I felt that day. I think it's important that we always remember exactly how we felt. F*** the politics -- this was something more fundamental. It was about our way of life. So yeah I will never forget.

Never a more appropriate time than the anniversary to listen to Bush's ground zero "bullhorn speech", gives me chills every time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7OCgMPX2mE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This was very tough to listen to. Hadn't heard it before, so thanks for posting. I must admit, I watch/listen to stuff like this every year on 9/11 because it brings back the emotion and anger I felt that day. I think it's important that we always remember exactly how we felt. F*** the politics -- this was something more fundamental. It was about our way of life. So yeah I will never forget.

I felt the exact same way watching this

As much as I enjoy listening to ATC communication that was tough to listen too. :( Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Just finished reading this. Anyone want it?

Back