8N7, a different airport

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
I flew the R22 to Mc Ginness Airport in Columbia, PA, today, which is just east of the Susquehanna River. 8N7 is surrounded by houses and industrial type buildings to the west and north, by a 125' ridge to the south, industrial buildings to the east, huge trees everywhere, and at least two unmarked/unlit towers. In the Google picture (and it seems to have hi-res over the airport, and two different sets of images elsewhere), you can see rwys 11-29 and 8-26.

I elected to do a straight-in to 29 which meant a steep approach over the ridge coming to a hover just past the runway intersection. After setting down by the wind sock and playing with the GPS, I elected a max performance takeoff on 29 as well. Sheesh. I didn't clear the trees by as much as I had thought I would, but I didn't come dangerously close either. The things I'll do to build helicopter time so I can take PAX in the R44 when we get it :dunno:

I'm curious whether anybody from the board has ever landed there. I'm certain that I'm not a good enough fixed-wing pilot to do it safely, especially in anything other than a PA18 or a Maule or some such. Anybody with a story about 8N7?

Attachments

• mcginness airport.jpg
    mcginness airport.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 47
Looking at AirNav I don't think it would be a big deal with the old 172. Don't do turf in the RG though. Shortest I've ever done was 1600 feet uphill with a dog leg at the top. Will probably only do that one once.

Airnav says 11-29 is closed indefinately. Did that change? Of course I guess it really doesn't matter in a helicopter.

NC Pilot said:
Airnav says 11-29 is closed indefinately. Did that change? Of course I guess it really doesn't matter in a helicopter.
I saw some references that it was closed, but the current A/FD shows both runways as being open. I think to bring a fixed-wing into 29 you'd have to slip after clearing the ridge. I don't know about getting out again -- those trees looked awful damn high :hairraise:

But no, it really doesn't matter in a helicopter. My experience is that even at towered fields ATC will clear you to land wherever you intend to set it down if they're able to separate you from other traffic. Most pilots give their destination on the field in their initial call up to take advantage of that.

Bob, I have flow into 8N7 about 4 times. Twice in an Archer, once in a Mooney Bravo and once in a Twin Baron. I didn't have any problems at all. If you are worried about comming in over the ridge just push "p" on the keyboard and pause the computer. you can use the vertical slew button I think its "Y" and the up arrow or down arrow and the plane will drop or rise vertically. Bing it to about 50' above the runway push "p" again to relase the pause and hand fly it in. MSFS 2004 is very handy that way. I dont' know why Piper dosent put a Pause Key and a Slew key in the real Aircraft, they would be better than auto pilot.:rolleyes:

Why not in a fixed wing, just fly the river low and take that threshold and reverse for takeoff?

AdamZ said:
Bob, I have flow into 8N7 about 4 times. Twice in an Archer, once in a Mooney Bravo and once in a Twin Baron. I didn't have any problems at all. If you are worried about comming in over the ridge just push "p" on the keyboard and pause the computer. you can use the vertical slew button I think its "Y" and the up arrow or down arrow and the plane will drop or rise vertically. Bing it to about 50' above the runway push "p" again to relase the pause and hand fly it in. MSFS 2004 is very handy that way. I dont' know why Piper dosent put a Pause Key and a Slew key in the real Aircraft, they would be better than auto pilot.:rolleyes:

Don't helicopters has that pause and skew feature already? I think they call it hover :rolleyes:

Bob,

When we lived in PA, I flew my Tiger over gross weight, in the summer in AND OUT of 8N7. No problem.

:hairraise: Yes, I'm kidding!

Seriously, I used to fly over that airport all the time and think who the heck uses it.

I dunno, Dave. You'd still have to drop it after clearing some BIG trees and a water tower. I don't think I'm a good enough fixed-wing pilot to try it...

A bush pilot would probably take a look, laugh, and say it's a piece of cake!

I've been in there a few times with no problem. Of course it was either in a Bell 47 or a Bell Jet Ranger. A buddy of mine instructs in the area and would always take his students there in the 47.

mike21951 said:
I've been in there a few times with no problem. Of course it was either in a Bell 47 or a Bell Jet Ranger. A buddy of mine instructs in the area and would always take his students there in the 47.
Agreed, no sweat in a helicopter. I was curious whether anyone had flown a fixed-wing in there...

If I had a reason to fly there I would try it.

Okay gang, looking for some close suggestions for next weekend. I am taking a buddy up, one that’s interested in flying so it’s a mentoring sales trip with a little practice built in for me. I have the 172 for a 3 hour block any suggestions from LNS for a nice trip and maybe a burger along the way?

John

John what not Try Westminster MD. Decent restaurant just outside the airport gate.

John Recine said:
Okay gang, looking for some close suggestions for next weekend. I am taking a buddy up, one that’s interested in flying so it’s a mentoring sales trip with a little practice built in for me. I have the 172 for a 3 hour block any suggestions from LNS for a nice trip and maybe a burger along the way?

John

Kutztown isn't a cross country for you, but you can't beat the experience of taxiing right up to the restaraunt to impress a first timer :) Chester County has yummy food, as does Ocean City New Jersey, which can be capped with a two block walk to the beach to work off the burger. In the other direction, Altoona has a good though slightly pricey restaraunt on the field, and the FBO has good service. There's a good diner on the field at Frederick, but do please look out for ADIZ and Camp David. Cumberland is supposed to have a diner on field, but I've not been there. You can look at the all but closed Tiger factory while you are there. :( OTOH, that might be depressing.

It's a little close to Lancaster but Butter Valley (7N8) is a great little spot in the middle of a golf course with a restaurant on the field.

Back