8" vs 10" Tablets

35B33

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Cal
After years of having a moving map on my laptop, I began using a Nexus 7 with Avare. While I like Avare, I find the Nexus doesn't show much of the route when enlarged for convenient reading.

Does the 10" screen make much of a difference? Normally I set range at 70-90nm on a 700nm xc

I suction-cup mount my N7 on the side window, so it is inches from my nose. At that range, it is a lot easier to read than a 10" tablet on my knee.

Pictures I have seen of the side window mounts appear to block areas on the left side of the panel where my G3 monitor is located. I will have to play with that to see if there is a position it would work. I do like the landscape position because it shoiws more of what is ahead, especially weather.

The 7-8" is great for everyday use but the central control column and cross arm on a Deb provides lots of mounting choices that do not block other instruments. Plus the larger screen may better display split screens.

For what it's worth, I flew with a full-sized iPad for years (1st and 3rd generation) and just recently switched to the new Mini. It's much easier to mount and use in my cockpit, and I like it better around the house, too.

I mount mine to the bottom-left corner of the windscreen so it's above and to the left of my yoke (clear of any instruments and clear of my yoke's range of movement).

I guess it depends on how much of the sectional you need to have visible at any one time -- usually I keep mine zoomed out a bit so I can see my route, and I'll zoom in if there's something I can't read at that level.

Pictures I have seen of the side window mounts appear to block areas on the left side of the panel ...
Certainly it will vary from airplane to airplane. I have used a suction cup either on the side window or on the bottom corner of the windscreen on various Pipers, Cessnas (including a 195) and a Mooney. In these cases the advantage I saw, in addition to having the screen right under my nose, was that it did not block anything on the panel nor was it high enough to significantly block the outside view. Obviously I can't claim this to be a Universal Truth, but it has worked for me.

I have both the iPad3 and the iPad mini. With the iPad3, I utilize the dual screen feature of Wing X and have two displays. With the mini I swap between displays on the Wing X app. If you have the space, I would lean towards the 10 inch display.

Thanks Gene, I like the option of a dual screen. I am going to try out a G-Force mount with the Nexus and see how it works, price is right and comes with a guarantee. If it doesn't work the wife gets the Nexus and I will get a larger tablet.

Thanks Gene, I like the option of a dual screen. I am going to try out a G-Force mount with the Nexus and see how it works, price is right and comes with a guarantee. If it doesn't work the wife gets the Nexus and I will get a larger tablet.

The iPad Air is a nice compromise....smaller than original iPad without sacrificing screen real estate.

Back