8 Airport tour around Lake Okeechobee

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
I enjoyed my trip earlier this week so much, I did another one on Saturday, this time in a borrowed 182. I don't have much time in a 182, so my landings weren't great at first, but nothing broke, and by the end I was doing pretty good.

Stats:
9 airports (7 new to me)
3 hours
362 miles
1 soft field - with phone call on short final LOL
1 more enjoyable flight around S Florida

Airports:
X06 - Arcadia - fuel stop
09FA - Placid Lake - A small airport community with a very interesting approach (see photo below and video)
2IS - Airglades
KPHK - Pahokee? No idea how to spell it
X58 - Indiantown - A huge grass runway, a little rough, but no major ruts
KOBE - Okeechobee
KSEF - Sebring - I used to race motorcycles here, cool to watch cars running the track from the air
KAVO - Avon Park - Nice big airport, but the taxiways are in pretty bad disrepair
X05 - Home

Short final at Placid Lake is a little claustrophobic
placid lake.jpg

Sebring racetrack
4FEF2CD3-866D-45EC-82FE-8FE5EB3EADE5.jpeg

Video:

Last edited:
Cool video. If that one is claustrophobic, though, my home field would make you go around and fly off over the horizon. (And I don’t think it’s that bad at home compared to some other places.) :) Its all relative.

A7A3ACD4-CD17-4BD1-9259-BB7F05189263.jpeg

If that one is claustrophobic, though, my home field would make you go around and fly off over the horizon. (And I don’t think it’s that bad at home compared to some other places.) :) Its all relative.
Totally. My home base looks almost identical to 09FA... 3000’x50’ runway wedged amongst an urban area. Its size made me feel uncomfortable for awhile, so I ended up doing my first solo at another nearby airport, of course, now it’s just like anywhere else...

I don’t think yours is that bad. It was the building and truck 20 feet from the wingtip that played tricks with my head.

It’s amazing how tight a place you can get into when you have to. You’ll be amazed if you keep at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I didn't know how to pronounce Pahokee the first time I went there... :lol::lol:
Foreflight calls it "Palm Beach Co. Glades", but as I was getting close I heard a call that perfectly matched a plane I was seeing ahead of me. He said "Pahokee". So I asked if it was the same place because it was too coincidental that he was on frequency and exactly where he said he was at this "Pahokee" place. So, all worked out in the end. :D

Nice choice of airports ,looks like it was s great day to fly.

Back