76 Piper nearly dunks at Bay Bridge

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
http://wbal.com/stories/templates/news.aspx?articleid=4621&zoneid=3
Federal investigators are expected to take a look at what happened to a small airplane that almost ended up in the waters of Chesapeake Bay after apparently running out of runway at Bay Bridge Airport.
From the article, sounds like someone landed long or with a tailwind? I mean - I know Bay Bridge is small, but its plenty long enough for pretty much any single engine, I should think.

I mean - I know Bay Bridge is small, but its plenty long enough for pretty much any single engine, I should think.

Runway 11/29

Dimensions: 2903 x 60 ft. / 885 x 18 m

I would not call that 'small'. That should be plenty long enough for most singles, I think Grummans need a little longer or is that just for take off ;)

Can't get much closer to getting wet.

There's some video here showing the location a little better:
http://wjz.com/local/plane.crash.2.697084.html

They had 2900' of runway, plus a fair sized grass overrun area, and finally a low wall, which seems to have done the trick. On the plus side, the pilot didn't have to suffer the humiliation of doing a go-around.
-harry

Runway 11/29

I would not call that 'small'. That should be plenty long enough for most singles, I think Grummans need a little longer or is that just for take off ;)

I think that would be short for a Grumman, minimum is 3000' with a 10kt wind right down the runway.:D

Runway 11/29

B-52 base is minimun for Grummans. Especially at the high altitude like Bay Bridge. ;)

We used to go to the "Gourmet Citgo" on occassion right behind the airport. Miraculously I was able to get my Tiger out of there.

I think that would be short for a Grumman, minimum is 3000' with a 10kt wind right down the runway.:D
If it is an Arrow (the helo talking head mentioned retractable gear), then it should be been able to land in 1500 or so feet or runway. If like the story says, and how often are they right, he landed half way down the runway, then yeah, he was about to run out of runway without some heavy duty braking.

Lots of questions remain, could have been a brake failure too. Maybe he had not filled a flight plan, who knows!?!

Adjustable retractable landing gear heh heh love it. Actually I looked like a cherokee not an Arrow so much but who cares 1/2 down the runway is a lot and it looks like they have a big grass over run too. Dude is luck that bulk head was there.

Adjustable retractable landing gear heh heh love it. Actually I looked like a cherokee not an Arrow so much but who cares 1/2 down the runway is a lot and it looks like they have a big grass over run too. Dude is luck that bulk head was there.
Either way a Cherokee does not need more than 1500 feet to land for most dry, paved surfaces.

Back