707 panel as decorative lighting

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
707 panel as decorative lighting

Todd Lappin has finished installing his 707 jet panel in his house. It looks incredible!

_7900634_ef15d64c4d_m.jpg

This hangs on one wall of our living room, above the stairway that leads down to the garage. As you walk up the steps, you get this view.

My 707 has come a long way since I first found it at an aircraft scrapyard in Tucson. Here's a daylight view, shortly after I stripped off the paint. The illumination comes from rope lights mounted on the structurally-cool back side. (Next time you rest your head against a window-seat wall to snooze, this is basically what lies underneath.)

Link with more pictures

Other than the paint stripping, this looks fairly easy to do. Off to the boneyard!

I like it!

Search ebay for airplane seats. Lots of hits. Would make an interesting bar/playroom/movie room.

gkainz said:
I saw a similar link last year where they mounted the plane on a pedestal and it could rotate...

I think we saw the same link last year but I couldn't find it in the time I had available. IIRC the pedestal was good for a bazillion kts and the entire contraption could handle a hurricane since redline for the plane was higher.

I think it would make an excellent wind tee/FBO at some airport. ;)

fgcason said:
I think it would make an excellent wind tee/FBO at some airport. ;)

Wind tee at Whitehorse, YT.

Carol said:
Wind tee at Whitehorse, YT.

:eek:

That's even better!!!!!!!! ..And another entry in the 'forget it and move north' column of my why-stay-in-colorado list.

Back