6Y9 Pirep

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Headed up to 6Y9 this weekend to prep for the August 5th Fly-In and get some video and pictures along with measurements so I can post the ultra cheesy diagram and video.

The video is here:

http://webpages.charter.net/edfred/flying/6y9inplane.wmv

The pictures and cheesy diagram attached.
Picture 3264 is from the NW
Picture 3265 and 3266 is from the North.

Approach to 28 has about 600' feet of low scrub before the runway begins. The 400' displaced is only for a property line clearance and not terrain. The 300' displaced for 10 will be reduced as the last few trees to the west are being cut this week. The dirt area will be dragged, rolled, and seeded and usable for takeoffs on August 5th.

Attachments

• 6y9.bmp
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
  • DSC03264.JPG
    DSC03264.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • DSC03265.JPG
    DSC03265.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • DSC03266.JPG
    DSC03266.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
LOL. Actually. If you come in from the east it is super visible. And it is NOT 1 mile north of town like the books say. I will get more pcitures by the time the fly in gets here.

Last edited:
Oooh...can't wait! Hey - I'm gonna tent it - can I have a campfire there?

That mom and pop store will sell stuff like sodas, right?

Nick (and anyone else) -

Anyone from PoA is invited to camp over at our place which is just across the highway. We always have a campfire there at night. A picture from the SW is here. Our place has the two green roofs and red truck in the bottom center of the following picture. The airport is "in" the vent window.
http://webpages.charter.net/edfred/P3030039.JPG

Attached is a video while on the 4 wheeler from the airport to camp. The stop sign is M-28, which is the main highway from Marquette to Ironwood. When I quickly look to the right you can see Mom's Kitchen, which has good food - and the only way to get hold of FSS in town. Cell phones *may* work depending on the lunar cycle and what position you can contort your body to pick up a signal. After I cross the highway and just before I cross the railroad tracks you can see a brick building on the left with a blue (?) truck parked next to it. That's the Trail's End Bar and Grill. Also good food, and open later than Mom's is. Plus there's booze and satellite TV there. We have vehicles up there, so anyone staying can get a ride over to camp.

On the 3rd and 4th I also went and reopened an ATV trail. It's some old logging trails that have grown in so much you can only get an ATV or motorcycle through it now. We have four ATVs there, and anyone who is staying over and wants to can do some 4-wheeling and see some wilderness. Friends of our have come across bears, moose, and wolves when four wheeling, and I came across a doe and her fawn yesterday on this route. Just off trail there's also a lake for anyone who wants to go swimming, and I've seen deer down at the lake as well.

So, for anyone who wishes to make it a weekend (I'll be up there Friday, and family will be up there the week prior, so feel free to come in on Friday) enjoy more than just some flying.

The mom n pop store has pretty much everything there to get you through the weekend. Soda, bread, eggs, beer, bug repellant, etc... So, if you forget anything it's right there. And if we need to we can run to the grocery store in the next town(s) which has a little more than the Mini Mart.

Attachments

• ToCamp.wmv
    4.5 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Why's that wing so fat? :D

Anthony said:
Why's that wing so fat? :D

So I don't always have to look for a 10,000 foot runway to land on. :D

In fact, where I turn off the runway is the 1200' cone, but with the displaced, I don't even touch down until almost the 600' cone. I was at about 2150 gross.

Attachments

• FromParking.wmv
    3.4 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Nice avatar Ed...:D

N2212R said:
So I don't always have to look for a 10,000 foot runway to land on. :D

Will you two just go buy your Mooneys so that we don't have to listen to your whining? :rolleyes: :rofl:

Ed, I will probably get there on the 5th and leave on the 6th. Who else is going?

flyingcheesehead said:
Will you two just go buy your Mooneys so that we don't have to listen to your whining? :rolleyes: :rofl:

LOL. Maybe when we get the runway lengthened.

flyingcheesehead said:
Ed, I will probably get there on the 5th and leave on the 6th. Who else is going?

That's a good question. Hey, who else IS going? I've heard a lot of "I hope to" and "I'm 90%." From the Cherokee board a guy and his wife from Marshall, MI have reserved one of the cabins so that's a 1 plane for sure. I know a guy that lives 10 minutes from here who said he would fly up in his Viking. Sounds like Scott and Grant are bringing planes. And Nick is planning on making the trip from NM!!!! I of course will be there, and since this is like a major thing, I expect at least a hundred plus locals who will, walk/drive in.

I will be coming..by way of Nick. It'll be a lot of fun!

If that falls through. I'll fly there.

If that falls through..Well. I think I can make it that far on my bike.

jangell said:
If that falls through..Well. I think I can make it that far on my bike.

Depends on whether Kathleen's gonna be there...:D

===

So the shortest strip I have taken off from in a Bo so far was 2,400', which it handled without meaningful controversy; that was the 285HP F33, warm WX but light. I guess I need to look into this, as well as the omnipresent "how the hell I'm gonna justify it" thing. I imagine the Deb, 300HP and light, should be piece-o-cake, but I think I'll go out this weekend and do some short-field trials on grass, just for fun and skill-enhancement.

I know my Wisconsin friend in the Cirrus won't want to try it! And yet, he's always making fun of Bonanzas- what's that all about?

Spike and others -

I talked to MN Lance on the phone yesterday about this. The strip itself may only have a 2000' footprint, but there is not obstacles immediately within the approach area. To the east is 700' or so of low scrub, with the tallest bush MAYBE being as tall as I am, and the trees that you see on the cockpit video to the west are at least 300' from the end of the runway. If my wussy little 180HP plane can do it at ~ 2150lbs I can't imagine 15 score horses not gettin er dun.

N2212R said:
Spike and others -

I talked to MN Lance on the phone yesterday about this. The strip itself may only have a 2000' footprint, but there is not obstacles immediately within the approach area. To the east is 700' or so of low scrub, with the tallest bush MAYBE being as tall as I am, and the trees that you see on the cockpit video to the west are at least 300' from the end of the runway. If my wussy little 180HP plane can do it at ~ 2150lbs I can't imagine 15 score horses not gettin er dun.

So he's bringin' in the Baron?

SCCutler said:
So he's bringin' in the Baron?

I don't think he is available - water ski tourney that weekend.

As I'm sure you've gathered, Ed, I WILL be there. Unless weather creeps up. I'll be up there probably on the 4th, probably leave on the 6th

And Ed, as you already mentioned, Leslie and I plan to be there on the 5th, weather and plane, of course, permitting. We have the 182 already reserved.

So, I guess no Grummans are coming?
Pansies.

N2212R said:
So, I guess no Grummans are coming?
Pansies.

Oh J*sus Chr*st that avatar is PRICELESS!!! :rofl:

Q. How much power does it take for a Cherokee 180 to overcome all the drag of the airframe just to pull out of the tiedown?

A. All of it.

I may grace Gaston's with my fine Grummans prescence, even on that short, obstructed, grass strip. Hey Ed, let's start the 1st Annual Gaston's Point to Point race! I'll spot you my entire trip from Denver (or wherever I'm living) as a handicap. :goofy:

I'm not going to make it unless I can hitch a ride. The No grass rule has never been waived in the club. : (

Missa said:
I'm not going to make it unless I can hitch a ride. The No grass rule has never been waived in the club. : (

I can give you a lift from IMT (or MSN, for that matter!) if you want to go! :yes:

Back