6Y9 Officially open/ 2009 May 15-Nov.1

el con

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
The Flied Piper
Officially open, field in good shape,cones set, windsock up, trees cut on west end.
Discussions underway with power company on that pesky power pole to have it moved or at least well marked before 6Y9 Fly-In

If the weather co-op's we'll fly up this weekend,May 22-25.
Come on up , last week end typical Spring U.P. weather, Thurs. sun, Fri. blackflies, Sat. snowflakes, Sun. sun and drive home:D

So the snow is down to a managable level now????:D:D:D

Yeah, It's finally gone ! Nothing stuck to the ground.
Grass is growing so I'll be mowing this weekend.
Get the big roller out and smooth it out.

Well, Brad, I doubt I'll get a chance to come out prior to Labor Day weekend, but I'm sure looking forward to making it then!

What're the runway specs, is it still officially 2500 with it really being about 3000 with the extension off the end, and 50 ft obstacles either side?

Black flies with a little snow or rain sounds like Memorial Day weekend in the U.P.

Enjoy.

If you look in the AFD it still shows us as 2000 ft. But MDOT/Aeronautics has approved my new extention.
It is 2600 ft, I've set the cones at 2600 ft. I'm working on an additional 300ft to the west that might be ready for unofficial use by fly-in time. The displaced threshold's have not changed. Taking off on 28 it is now about 500 ft from the end of the runway to the 30-40 ft trees. Still need to watch out for that power pole.
I'm pretty sure I will have 2900 or 3000 ft. by next year. Then that will be it ,as it will go from road to road.
You should have no problem with the Aztruk , Dr. Bruce had his Seneca in on 1850 ft. Then Lance had his Baron in on 2000ft. Although both were pilot only and light on fuel.
We all used the unofficial 2600 ft last year , but this year the big thing you will notice is the trees being gone. I noticed my back is still hurting from there removal this last weekend:rolleyes:,and will continue the work this coming weekend:frown3:

I can't wait!!! I wonder if I could take an Arrow into/out of there....

Yep , Ray you got it right. But as they say in da up.
" when da blackfies are bitin , so are da brook trout eh"
I am hoping for no snow this coming weekend though.

Yeah Nick ,Arrow should be no problem. Ed rented a 200 hp Arrow last year and brought Adam Z. into 6Y9.
I think I would prefer the 200hp over the 180hp variety though.
6Y9 is much different than when you were up last.
We hope to have the CT in place and the X-ray for luggage:rofl:

Tony's right that was a 180hp Arrow, he was by himself ,I don't know how much fuel he had on board. He had no problem in or out.
I've been cutting tree's on the approach end of 28 also so it is safer to get down right on the displaced threshold without dragging your LG through the tree tops.
On 28 if you touch down on the threshold you've got 2000ft to stop. Coming in on 10 if you TD on the TH you have 2300ft to stop.
Nobody has score cards yet on landings:rolleyes:
A firm TD on the TH and most Planes you would land on grass will have no problem. No floating or porposing allowed:nono:

Well Brad Ed should be home soon with a check from proceeds from the FlyBQ to help with at least a few grass cuttings. (or snow plowings:D)

Hey Adam we certainly appreciate that. All that hard work to give it away,well all I can say is "THANK YOU".
I wish I could have come out,but I'm kinda chained to getting 6Y9 open for use.
I look forward to seeing you at the Fly-In or before.:smile:
We are a registered 501 c 3 so if that helps use it if you can. 100% tax deductable for any donation.
Hey , you're the Lawyer ,you know about all that stuff.
Thank's Again !!!!

Brad, the Aztruck definitely should get in and out no issue, I'm more thinking how it'll be depending on how many people we have coming. It looks like Gaston's may have a full plane, but I'll likely land it at Mountain Home loaded up. I think for 6Y9 I'll have fewer people, so it should still be no issue. Those oversized Hershey Bar wings have a lot of nice characteristics for short field work, as do the 50 degree flaps!

50 degree flaps???:eek:, are they flaps or speed brakes?:rofl:
I'm sure you'll have no problem.

As Ed and Matt are aware, it's a flying brick with wings. ;)

Does it descend faster than a tri pacer though????

I haven't really tested just how much of a brick it will be, but doing the short field landings you approach at 85 mph (so sayeth the POH). Drag it in at that speed and then chop the power and the thing really drops and stops fast. I'll make sure to go out and practice those a bit prior to heading to Gaston's (although I'll probably go to Mountain Home on the first stop as I'll likely be pretty heavy), and do a refresher prior to 6Y9. I get spoiled at the runways I fly in and out of, so it's good to find something short and practice. My instructor kept his Aztec at a 1500 ft grass strip, so it'll do it.

Heading up Fri-Sat of this weekend! I missed last weekend, but that's OK, I didn't want to get snowed on!

not sure if I am coming up. Back is seized up, and theres no real point to going up there if I am just going to be laid up all weekend.

Back home as of 10:30 a.m. today, stayed an extra night because it was so beautiful out and we were having lots of fun. Thanks Brad and Diz for the excellent hospitality as always!

Much thanks to Kate and Jim for the help picking up branches after my chainsaw massacre on the west end of the field.:smile:
Kate, I rolled the east end,should be better next time you're up.

Back