6Y9 - EdFred Fly IN PIREP

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Howdy folks. Spoke to Ed this morning and he asked me to post this PIREP on 6Y9.

These are Eds words.

1) The field is in Perfect Condition. The field is both Dry and Hard.
2) Wind will be favoing 28 most likely so, Ed says with regard to 28 Ignore the 400' Displaced threshold however the first 200' are usable for Take Offs ONLY.
3) While the approach area to 28 is cleared and mowed and looks enticing from the air it is rough so DO NOT LAND ON IT.
4) He will fire up the grills at 11:00 A.M. tomorrow. He'd like for folks to plan to arrive before that as he will have some press there including local TV ( Bubba with an antenna LOL) He would like the press to see some arrivals and certainly as many folks milling about as possible.

These are my words:

IF YOU CAN LETS GET OUT AND SUPPORT OUR FRIEND ED:yes:

smigaldi said:
Just to make sure I understand. It is ok to land 200 feet before the threshold?
200 feet before the displaced threshold.

gprellwitz said:
200 feet before the displaced threshold.

Got it! Thanks and I look forward to it tomorrow.

I plan on leaving 10C at around 8am local. Is anyone else flying up there about that time? My trip will take a little over two hours and I can have a listening watch on 122.75MHz for air to air meet ups.

smigaldi said:
Got it! Thanks and I look forward to it tomorrow.

I plan on leaving 10C at around 8am local. Is anyone else flying up there about that time? My trip will take a little over two hours and I can have a listening watch on 122.75MHz for air to air meet ups.
We're planning to leave 1C5 at about that time. Skylane 7111W. Winds look better down low. We'll try to monitor 122.75 too.

gprellwitz said:
We're planning to leave 1C5 at about that time. Skylane 7111W. Winds look better down low. We'll try to monitor 122.75 too.

Excellent. I will be departing from north of you a bit at 10C. But if you are in a skylane you should catch up to me. My plan is for an IAS of 100kts. Course is planned to fly direct to 6Y9. I have not planned an altitude as of yet.

Have fun all, wish I could attend. A&P and travel agent both say it is a no go for tomorrow's blast off.

AdamZ said:
4) He will fire up the grills at 11:00 A.M. tomorrow. He'd like for folks to plan to arrive before that as he will have some press there including local TV ( Bubba with an antenna LOL) He would like the press to see some arrivals and certainly as many folks milling about as possible.

Hmmm... I might have to buzz the field before I land.

Purely, of course, to figure out the displaced threshold/mowed area/whatever all that was! :D Someone better put up a sign that says "LAND HERE."

Grant and Scott, I'll be in N271G and I'll try to give ya a yell on 122.75 on the way up.

Kent I think what he is saying is the displaced threshold is not really needed so much for obstructions as a property line and that all the scrub prior to the threshold has been cut down.

flyingcheesehead said:
Hmmm... I might have to buzz the field before I land.

Purely, of course, to figure out the displaced threshold/mowed area/whatever all that was! :D Someone better put up a sign that says "LAND HERE."
Okay, I've updated EdFred's diagram to shaw you where to land. Here you go.

flyingcheesehead said:
Grant and Scott, I'll be in N271G and I'll try to give ya a yell on 122.75 on the way up.
I'll be listening.

Attachments

• 6Y9.jpg
    6Y9.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 52
flyingcheesehead said:
Can I buzz the field anyway? :D
Well you DID! Leslie and I had a great time there. The locals seemed to love having us, and we gave a few rides, including to the local press. Ed, you and your dad have done a great job there, and your mom is wonderful! I just wish I had remembered to take my camera out of its bag so I had some shots of the airport and the gathering.

gprellwitz said:
Well you DID! Leslie and I had a great time there. The locals seemed to love having us, and we gave a few rides, including to the local press. Ed, you and your dad have done a great job there, and your mom is wonderful! I just wish I had remembered to take my camera out of its bag so I had some shots of the airport and the gathering.

I'll second that. It was really great and fun!!

I do have some pictures including Grant and Leslie with the newsperson after her flight. I'll post them later tonight.

For those of you who missed this fly in you missed out on a really cool place. It was incredible scenary including 'midwest mountains', please don't laugh Nick, and the airstrip is in great condition.

The town people were really neat and I think the entire town turned out to see the planes!!

Maybe this should be an annual event like Gaston's. If I had enough advanced notice I could make it. I hate missing out on a good time and getting to fly at the same time.

Some of the pics & my PIREP.

I departed from my home field of 10C at 7:30 for the 247NM flight. The sky was mostly clear with only high cirrus and a welcoming 72 degrees air temp. My plan was to climb to 4500'MSL on a heading of 358 degrees. Once I was airborne I waited until I left C90 airspace so that I could actually call ATC and get FF. Milwaukee was very accommodating and set me up with a squawk that would get me handed off without have to reacquire when I left their airspace. When they asked me where I was going they said they had never heard of 6Y9. So I was able to give them the whole story of Ed's airport opening victory and maybe a few pilots on the freq will stop by.

The ride was wonderful, smooth and I had a tailwind for 120kts GS. I have flown up to OSH and Green Bay before and was very familiar with the terrain and sights. But a few miles north of Green Bay the farmland abruptly stopped and was replaced by thick forest for as far as the eye could see. I kept asking myself where I would land and how the heck am I going to see 6Y9.

Well that was not a problem. 6Y9 was easily seen as it it the only town and non-forest stop for miles. About 7miles out I called on the CTAF for 'any traffic to please advise', NO! I am just kidding about that . But I did make a standard call and Ed answered back letting me know the winds. Once in the pattern he did tell me there was traffic below me and opposite heading. I did not see him until I turned final. It was an UL. He did not see me either and did not have a radio. He made a short down wind and base and cut me off of final so I went around. On the next go around I did an 'intentional low pass' (yeah, that's the ticket). On the third time I landed.

The field is in great shape as smooth as some asphalt I have been on and everything is well marked. After parking I got to meet Nick, Jesse, Richard, and Ed. then we watched Bruce, Beth, Grant and Leslie, and Kent come in.

Meeting everyone was really fun, the town's people were very friendly and wanted to see the planes and talk. They cooked us up a nice lunch and then a few of the guys with fuel gave some rides. Ed and his dad did a great job on this airport. There is camping close by plus cabins to rent. It seems like the townies get around on ATVs and I love the accent, ala Fargo! Nick was practicing a bit I think for his possible move to Minn. ;)

I left at around 2pm and headed to Iron Mountain (KIMT) to get fuel at a cheap price and then home. I think we need to plan a camping trip next summer!!

Ed when are you going to get WiFi in the FBO? :D

And something perhaps PoA'ers could help with. We all met Ed's mom and she is a really nice lady. But she is very concerned about Ed's current status as a single person, I guess he is too busy re-opening airports to get around to a lot of dating. She asked us all if we knew someone for him, so perhaps we could start a search for a nice girlfriend or potential mate for Ed!!:blowingkisses::wonderwoman::blowingkisses:

Attachments

• beth-lndg-2.jpg
    beth-lndg-2.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 43
  • beth-lndg.jpg
    beth-lndg.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 37
  • DR-Bruce_Lndg.jpg
    DR-Bruce_Lndg.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 34
  • DR-Bruce_TO.jpg
    DR-Bruce_TO.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 34
  • EdFred_gives_a_ride.jpg
    EdFred_gives_a_ride.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Good_Eats.jpg
    Good_Eats.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Grant_Fly_By.jpg
    Grant_Fly_By.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 32
  • Grant_gives_Aviation_news_a_lift.jpg
    Grant_gives_Aviation_news_a_lift.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Grant_Leslie_TV_Person.jpg
    Grant_Leslie_TV_Person.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 63
  • Kent_Lndg.jpg
    Kent_Lndg.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Dean said:
Maybe this should be an annual event like Gaston's.
EdFred's talking about doing just that, maybe Labor Day each year. I'm sure he'll post more about it himself.
Dean said:
If I had enough advanced notice I could make it. I hate missing out on a good time and getting to fly at the same time.
Uh, enough advanced notice?:dunno: Posted APRIL 7, under the heading "Upper Midwest. No Excuses." http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6653 :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I had to jump on this one.:goofy:

Seriously, sorry you missed it. We'd have loved even more planes and friends!

smigaldi said:
Some of the pics & my PIREP.

Thanks for the pics for those of us who couldn't make it.

When I checked the plane status on April 7th, one of my partners already had it booked for the week. So I need more advance notice! Is it going to be Labor Day next year?

Well, I enjoy my short stay there. For those of you who couldn't make it, I didn't realize just HOW BIG A BIG DEAL this was. I mean, the whole town was there. The local News reporter was there. Dad Fred and Ed Fred actually lived there. Ed fred went to school at the end of the strip.

I was just TOO HEAVY on Friday night to get in, and as it was it was short for depature at 1000 undergross (I didn't push the shortfield technique, I wanted to be above VmcA) and was glad I did not bring the family in with 60 gallons of fuel. It was just me with 30 gallons....:)

Here's some stills, the videos are too big.

Attachments

• 100_0593.JPG
    100_0593.JPG
    467.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 100_0597.JPG
    100_0597.JPG
    807.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_0595.JPG
    100_0595.JPG
    621 KB · Views: 52
gprellwitz said:
EdFred's talking about doing just that, maybe Labor Day each year. I'm sure he'll post more about it himself.
Uh, enough advanced notice?:dunno: Posted APRIL 7, under the heading "Upper Midwest. No Excuses." http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6653 :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I had to jump on this one.:goofy:

Seriously, sorry you missed it. We'd have loved even more planes and friends!

That would be lots of time for most people, but not for me. My job limits my weekends off April thru October. That's why I like knowing what dates Gaston's will be held a year in advance. As for holiday weekends, thats impossible for me. I am not allowed to take any summer time holidays off.

Bruce, I want to thank you for your effort to support Ed Fred, et al, by dropping in for even the short time you were there. Also, your airmanship certainly produced some oohs & ahhs in the crowd. The Fredricks were very pleased with the turnout.

Nice photos, Scott. For us "sorry, away" folks could you edit with some ID for the photos? Some planes don't have visible N #s. I recognized One Short's plane because I've seen it, close-up. The "orange shirt" near the grill had me wondering. A later shot showed him with the TV microphone, so that clarified whozat; and he was nearby the lady penning on a note pad(reporter?).

Oh, the question about Ed's Mom's concern................................. did she get introduced to the reporter? Photo evidence indicated the latter wasn't wearing a ring. ????????????? With all the great people who celebrated for 6Y9, maybe y'all were only missing a Yenta. Ah, what do I know?
"I'm just a poor flyer." "L'Chaim!"

HR(who'll be without computer for a few days because something's awry and I'm barely finding my way into the Internet. Couldn't happen at a worse time because I'm knee-deep into rehearsals for my concert, and am still tweaking the type-set for my Program graphics. Smartly, I backed up the files on 3.5" floppies. Arrrggghhhhh! Computers.................)

Lawreston said:
Nice photos, Scott. For us "sorry, away" folks could you edit with some ID for the photos?
Ya' know I changed the names off all the photos before I uploaded them to help people understand who or what they were looking at. But for some reason when displaying from the thumbnails it is not apparent what the .jpg names are. So here you go.

Looking at the the thumbnails in the message. From the top left to right.

First row: Beth landing her Tri-Pacer, Bruca Taxi with Beth Landing, Bruce landing, Bruce taking off, And Ed giving a townie a ride.

Second row: Some of the good eats being cooked by the town's people, Grant's fly by, Grant taking off with the news lady, Grant, Liz McFarland (news lady) and Leslie, Kent Landing

Third row: Grant signing the guest wall in the FBO, an ultralight fly by

BTW the reporter that was there is Liz McFarland. Isn't that a great TV reporter name??

Lawreston said:
Oh, the question about Ed's Mom's concern................................. did she get introduced to the reporter? Photo evidence indicated the latter wasn't wearing a ring. ????????????? With all the great people who celebrated for 6Y9, maybe y'all were only missing a Yenta. Ah, what do I know?
"I'm just a poor flyer." "L'Chaim!"
Oh yes, Ed's mom was all over trying to get the reporter to pay more attention to Ed and vis versa.

Grant's Pictures:

#1 - Barb's TriPacer
#2, 3, 4 - Dr. Bruce's Seneca
#5 - some P.O.S.
#6 - Grillman Ronnie Risku, and the other person in the orange shirt was my dad's best man in 1972, Steve Carter.
#7, 8. Grant and the 182.
#9 - Grant, TV6's Liz MacFarlane (McFarland?), and Leslie
#10 - Kent Shook and his 182
#11 - Grant signing the "register"
#12 - Kolb ultralight

Dr Chiens pictures:

#1 - The town of Sidnaw, and the air strip from the ENE
#2 - My dad doing the TV interview
#3 - Some of the turnout
Scott Migaldi and Nick in the left foreground, Jesse in the green shirt facing away from the camera to the left of them, my mom at the far left in the orange shirt, Richard with the video camera to the left of her walking towards the camera my dad in the orange shirt right of the windsock.

smigaldi said:
so perhaps we could start a search for a nice girlfriend or potential mate for Ed!!

Then I will have to sell the plane!

I figure I can afford either a plane, or a woman, but not both.

N2212R said:

Truer words have never been spoken. :)

Sounds like a great weekend, Ed. I'll have to see if I can make it up next time.

Great job...

gprellwitz said:
Well you DID!

I had to scare the wildlife (aka Nick and Jesse) off the field. :rofl:

Ed, you and your dad have done a great job there, and your mom is wonderful!

Oh yeah, somehow I forgot to mention that. Ed's parents are some really cool people. And I wish I could argue with my mom about which ATV trails you can use to get somewhere. :rofl:

N2212R said:

Well if your GF only eats Krill she won't be that expensive to keep!

AdamZ said:
Well if your GF only eats Krill she won't be that expensive to keep!

Yeah, that's no longer an issue, or option. Life schedules just don't work out sometimes.

smigaldi said:
After parking I got to meet Nick, Jesse, Richard, and Ed. then we watched Bruce, Beth, Grant and Leslie, and Kent come in.

Beth, spelled B-A-R-B. *cough* :D

I didn't mention in my other posts, it was great to finally meet Barb and Richard. And, happy birthday again Barb! :yes:

Ed when are you going to get WiFi in the FBO? :D

Uhh, maybe the bathroom should come first... :rolleyes:

OK - this is a request for y'all. I am working on a video about this. If any of you have video clips or anything that would be useful, I'd love for you to email them to nickdbrennan at comcast dot net

Also - if you posted pics, please let me know if its kosher for me to use them.

SkyHog said:
OK - this is a request for y'all. I am working on a video about this. If any of you have video clips or anything that would be useful, I'd love for you to email them to nickdbrennan at comcast dot net

Also - if you posted pics, please let me know if its kosher for me to use them.

Nick feel free to use any of the pics I posted. I did reduce the pixels and resolution on them, if you want to the higher res version just let me know and I can email them to you.

smigaldi said:
Nick feel free to use any of the pics I posted. I did reduce the pixels and resolution on them, if you want to the higher res version just let me know and I can email them to you.

Likewise.

Nick here is my official release
The contributor grants a free, irrevocable license to Nick Brennan to incorporate text , photos, or other copyrightable material contained in the contribution and any modifications thereof in the creation of Nick's publications; to copyright and at the Nick's sole discretion to permit others to reproduce in whole or in part such text, photos, or other copyrightable material. The contributor is also willing to grant licenses under such contributor copyrights to third parties on reasonable, non-discriminatory terms.

SkyHog said:
Non discrimatory? Well forget it then :D
I think he brought up non-discriminatory only because you brought religion into it in the request:
SkyHog said:
if you posted pics, please let me know if its kosher for me to use them.
:rofl::rofl:
BTW, you have my permission to use any pictures of me taken at 6Y9 as long as they are, to quote the ladies at Gaston's, flattering. Of course, that probably doesn't leave you many options! :)

Last edited:
SkyHog said:
Non discrimatory? Well forget it then :D

Ok instead of resonable and non-discrimatory I can charge you but let everyone else have 'em for free :D:D:D

I had to post that as I was in the middle of doing a review of a new agreement on licensing for a project at work. My head was filled with legalease :eek:.

Just go use my photos anyway you wish. :yes:

Back