6Y9 Advance Notice? You want advance notice?!?!

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
I got yer advance notice right here!

Labor Day Weekend in 2007, 2008, 2009, etc...

For those that need to book club planes, clear it with the warden, or whatever, Labor Day Weekend will be the weekend to mark. I'm also going to do whatever I can to get at least 600' added on the east end by then. That should allow for almost any single in there, except the Grummans of course. The 300' on the west end is going to take a lot of fill to get it as nice as the rest of it. As with this year, our property is open for camping, and if we get enough interest I will see about contacting the local 4 wheeler dealer that rents them, and we can do a PoA ride. Ask Nick, Kent, and Jesse how they enjoyed it.

So, mark your calendars - Labor Day Weekend 2007. Anyone wanting to make Labor day this year, I will be up there, but no barbecue, you'll be "stuck" with the local restaurants. Those that stayed the night will vouch for the food. I think you can eat the whole weekend up there cheaper than you can have dinner at Gaston's for.

Kent - 1/2 stack next time right?

N2212R said:
Kent - 1/2 stack next time right?

Maybe just eggs and bacon. Oof!

For those who missed it, EdFred is referring to my breakfast order yesterday. A pile of blueberry pancakes so big I couldn't even make it halfway without being completely stuffed.

Oh, yeah... $6.41. :yes:

EdFred,
What are property values doing up by 6Y9? I am look for some property in that part of the country to buy as a summer retirement place. I would like to have a place close to an airport so I can fly back and forth.

Dean said:
EdFred,
What are property values doing up by 6Y9? I am look for some property in that part of the country to buy as a summer retirement place. I would like to have a place close to an airport so I can fly back and forth.

I'll look around. A friend of ours bought a cabin on the edge of town for I think $30k - had about an acre and a half of property or so. Had some fixup work to do on it of course, but nothing that broke the bank.

N2212R said:
I got yer advance notice right here!

Labor Day Weekend in 2007, 2008, 2009, etc...

So, mark your calendars - Labor Day Weekend 2007.

Ed, you're a really funny guy. Imagine me in a top hat, cane, and tap shoes: "Honey, instead of our usual Labor Day trip to Destin (think beaches, sandcastles, seafood, falling asleep to the sound of the ocean), why don't we fly to the deep woods of UP Michigan! I will be great fun!":lightning:

Actually, I'll try if I can get King Ralph to let up on his no club planes to non-paved fields mumbo jumbo.

Bill Jennings said:
Ed, you're a really funny guy. Imagine me in a top hat, cane, and tap shoes: "Honey, instead of our usual Labor Day trip to Destin (think beaches, sandcastles, seafood, falling asleep to the sound of the ocean), why don't we fly to the deep woods of UP Michigan! I will be great fun!":lightning:

Actually, I'll try if I can get King Ralph to let up on his no club planes to non-paved fields mumbo jumbo.

Well, as I told Adam, I'm stuck with available weekends to choose from. May is the Wings Fly-In. Heaven forbid I do anything within 3-4 weeks of Gaston's or OSH, so that leaves me with the last week of August which is close to Labor Day. No one is going to spend the money the weekend before Labor Day (See too close to Gaston's and OSH). So why not just make it on Labor Day? People are going somewhere on Labor Day, why not our place? Plus the holiday Monday gives people an extra travel day to get back in case of weather. (Ask Nick and Richard about that.)

N2212R said:
So why not just make it on Labor Day? People are going somewhere on Labor Day, why not our place? Plus the holiday Monday gives people an extra travel day to get back in case of weather. (Ask Nick and Richard about that.)

With any luck, King Ralph will be de-throned this year, so there may be a fighting chance.

Bill Jennings said:

Bill,

Is this an insurance thing, or a club bylaw, or just one dude in a position of power who is afraid of grass fields being loud? What's the process in your club for changing rules?

Man, those folks don't know what they're missing do they?

flyingcheesehead said:
Is this an insurance thing, or a club bylaw, or just one dude in a position of power who is afraid of grass fields being loud? What's the process in your club for changing rules?

Man, those folks don't know what they're missing do they?

Initially King Ralph said it was an insurance requirement, but I read the policy, and I cannot see anything prohibiting grass runways. Then he just finally admitted that it is his policy, after some club member years ago landed the Skyhawk so hard on a grass strip that it knocked the radios out of the rack. After that King Ralph has said no.

An yes, King Ralph uses intimidation to keep the rest of the board in line with his likings.

Luckily, last year, one new guy got on the board, and I will likely run and win an available maintenence officer position, which will put me on the board. The membership also has had enough of King Ralph, and the word is he'll be voted out this year.

Club politics, gotta love it. :confused:

And you can't land hard on a paved runway? More like King Doofus.

N2212R said:
And you can't land hard on a paved runway? More like King Doofus.

I was also thinking had that person landed on a less forgiving surface he might have knocked more than just the radios out of the rack. Stupid logic is applied with this philosphy IMHO. But what are you going to do? Overthrow sounds like the right plan and hopefully reason will be brought back to that club soon Bill!!

Bill Jennings said:
Club politics, gotta love it. :confused:

Our club has gotten a lot better than before. Our problem guy was the old treasurer. I asked some questions out of curiosity when I joined, and I got a scathing reply that "that information is released on a need-to-know basis, and you're new so you don't need to know." Three months later he resigned, probably hoping they'd beg him to come back. Well, I volunteered and was appointed to his position, which really ticked him off!

He'd send all kinds of criticisms via e-mail to the entire club, and I'd spank him down with facts - Facts that he didn't have (which is why he wouldn't give them to me originally!) because his only uses of a computer was to type up balance sheets in MS Works. In the word processor. :rolleyes:

After a year of being repeatedly shot down with the truth, he finally sold his share in the club. Phew!

I hope you have the same luck with King Ralph. Flying is supposed to be fun, not political.

And I hope you make it to the next 6Y9 fly-in! (Had to get back on topic :D)

flyingcheesehead said:
And I hope you make it to the next 6Y9 fly-in! (Had to get back on topic :D)

I need to get it passed that we can at least take the least expensive plane (the 172) into grass fields, I'd take that as a win for now.

Whats his problem with grass? Grass fields have been around longer than paved runways. Grass is easier on tires, landing gear, brakes and so on. I would much rather land on a grass than pavement.

Dean said:
Whats his problem with grass? Grass fields have been around longer than paved runways. Grass is easier on tires, landing gear, brakes and so on. I would much rather land on a grass than pavement.

Your preaching to the choir, but King Ralph doesn't sing.

With some notable exceptions, the problem with grass strips is not the grass. Grass strips tend to be shorter, and have more obstacles in the approach and departure paths, than paved runways in general, requiring greater pilot skill to aviate safely. Grass/non-paved strips are more likely to have debris/surface irregularities which are harder to detect, too. Insurance companies and operators take this into account when placing restrictions on aircraft, as the rules are applied to account for the below average pilots out there.

Dean said:

man our board of directors meetings are more like comedy hours. no politics here, thank god.

Back