6Y9 2012 Flying Season Open

Fly-in is always Labor Day weekend, unless something is changed for this year.
Call be obsessive-compulsive but I didn't see it written anywhere. I don't like to assume anything since my work schedule for the remainder of the year will be decided in the next few weeks. I could not attend Saturday or Sunday last year due to work responsibilities and had to settle for Friday. I'm looking forward to spending the entire weekend there.

Gary,
The flyer is on the website www.sidnaw.org -- along with last year's pics.

It's always the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, but it's ended up being a weekend event. This year the Saturday date is Sept 1.
Diz

Indeed, but I think it could have been done with the 160hp. Maybe. Def not the O300 :no:

Oh ye of little faith.

I used to regularly take my mighty O-300 in and out of a 1600' strip but, granted, not loaded to the gills like White Lightning was last year. But three adults on a 90 degree Missouri day was no problem.

There's a lot of runway at 6Y9 and relatively cool weather.

And the website is updated to include pictures from 2011, and 2012's Flyer.

If anyone knows how to shrink down the file size of that PDF that would be great.

Ed,

Send me your PDF I will see what I can do.

You know we'll be there. Don't know what plane we'll be flying, though! Heck, we may even have 300HP!

I will likely be planeless for that weekend so perhaps I can be part of the logistical support. I'll know more as it grows closer (I'll have to come off the island for this.)

The 180 hp was thrown out as some of the more underpowered or if you prefer, lesser powered planes have less for margin of error.
I toss this out as yes we have 2,600ft----but the runways run uphill in both directions, there are 30 -40 ft trees at both ends,the grass can be wet, we're not sure how pilots load their aircraft, U.P. weather can vary from 30's to 90's that time of year.
Just want to assure everyone of a safe experience, normally most 180 hp. aircraft that are suited for landing on grass give a safe margin of error if conditions or aircraft limits or pilot capabilities are pushed.
The only fatality at 6Y9 has been a 195hp 172 SP,it was pilot error and inexperience, so even my 180hp doesn't stand or fix stupid I guess.

I toss this out as yes we have 2,600ft----but the runways run uphill in both directions, there are 30 -40 ft trees at both ends,the grass can be wet

So I guess what your saying is that even though my little Tiger has the mighty 180 HP, we're either talking I get JATO bottles or get towed out by a three plane formation of JU-52's. Right?

:D

Interesting, I just read the accident report:

http://www.aircraftone.com/aircraft/accidents/20030611X00850.asp

You guys didn't own it yet at that time, did you?
That's correct, they didn't own it at that time. Some have suggested that it was at least partly in response to this accident that the State of Michigan closed the airport.

Note that EdFred took the passenger in this accident up for a flight out of 6Y9 a couple of years ago at the passenger's request.

Correct, we didn't own it then.
First thing we did was to stretch the runway out. 2,000 to 2,600 ft.
I'm working on another 300-400 ft now. That said it won't change the tree height on either end, just more take off and roll out distance, displaced thresholds will be the same.
Doing some ditching to drain the water away quicker, keeping the trees cut back on the sides.

You know, Brad. If you keep improving that airport, you are going to start getting all kinds of riff-raff in there. Geez, pretty soon Gruman guys will be landing there. :yikes: Well, there goes the neighborhood. :lol:

You know, Brad. If you keep improving that airport, you are going to start getting all kinds of riff-raff in there. Geez, pretty soon Gruman guys will be landing there. :yikes: Well, there goes the neighborhood. :lol:

First of all Grumman is spelled with two M's. I can't spell either, so you get a pass on that one.

Second, if Brad will lengthen the field just a tad to 10,000 ft. and pave it, I might just grace it with my presence. Presents? Sp?

First of all Grumman is spelled with two M's. I can't spell either, so you get a pass on that one.

Second, if Brad will lengthen the field just a tad to 10,000 ft. and pave it, I might just grace it with my presence. Presents? Sp?

Obviously your fate is to arrive on KI Sawyer and then beg some kind-hearted sole to provide transport to your final destination. Good thing that cell service has improved at 6y9...

Obviously your fate is to arrive on KI Sawyer and then beg some kind-hearted sole to provide transport to your final destination. Good thing that cell service has improved at 6y9...
Just so happens that I live in Marquette (KSAW) and drive to the fly-in so give me a PM and we can discuss possible transportation to 6Y9. Our runway is over 12,000' long and 150' wide. If you can't land here you shouldn't be flying.

Last edited:
Just so happens that I live in Marquette (KSAW) and drive to the fly-in so give me a PM and we can discuss possible transportation to 6Y9. Our runway is over 12,000' long and 150' wide. If you can't land here you shouldn't be flying.
Oh, good. So he won't have to use his chute to slow down. They're horrendous to repack.

:rofl:

Well, I doubt the required improvement will be in place as the owners probably don't want Grummans or more specifically ME there, especially after the Wings Flybq.

Well, I doubt the required improvement will be in place as the owners probably don't want Grummans or more specifically ME there, especially after the Wings Flybq.

Not to be contrary or disrespectful in any way but it the owners tolerate my presence then they are likely to accept if not embrace a grumman driver.

If perchance the 12,000 strip at KI Sawyer is insufficient, perhaps the 16,000 16R/34L at DEN would suffice and a ride from there could be obtained? Failing that, there's always the lakebed at Edwards...

I think Brad and Diz would probably like both your presence and you presents. :)

(Sorry about misspelling Grumman. Two days on call with minimal sleep kind of screws with my cognitive abilities. It didn't use to bother me as much 30 years ago.)

We had a Grumman Widgeon in at 6Y9 last month,he was in and out with no problem.(does it take most grummans two engines to fly well?)

Gary: see if you can't get Sawyer to add back the 1,930 ft that they shortened it to give Anthony the 14,296ft. that he needs:

Anthony: Gary will probably get Sawyer lengthened out ,please practice your short field technique for the 14,296 ft, we'll notify the fire crew to have the trucks positioned at the end of the runway just in case. Either Ed will come get you in the PIPER Comanche or I'll come get you in the PIPER Cherokee to get you SAFELY to 6Y9

Barb: It's so good to see you chime in,we really missed you at 6Y9 last year. We really hope to see that Tri Pacer there this year.

Clark: You're one of the regulars now, attendance is mandatory,flying east in formation with the ducks and all.

To let everyone know: with Ryan's help we now have the hay wagon fixed and it's been hayride tested.

Brad, that is on the ragged edge of performance, but I will see what I can do. Maybe I will leave the .50 cals. :)

Hay wagon?
Did someone say, hay wagon??

I am SO there! (Yes, even though the men are all too quick to hand over the wimmin folk to strangers ... 's all good; at least I know where I stand.)

Back