6B0 when the wx is low

azure

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
azure
Since I'm moving out that way (VT) and expect to use Middlebury a lot for a fuel stop (unless MPV has special fuel prices for tenants, which I doubt), I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get in there when conditions are other than great VFR. Since there is no IAP and the MVA there is 4200 (that's as low as ZBW would descend me when I was out there last month so I assume that's the case), there will be a lot of days when I'll need an IFR to get over the mountains but no obvious way to get down. My thought was to file to a nearby field west of the hills with an IAP and cancel once in VFR conditions and proceed to 6B0 VFR.

The best choices I could find were Burlington KBTV and Ticonderoga 4B6. Ticonderoga looks ideal as it has RNAV approaches in both directions (plus LPV minimums on 20) and it's the closest field to 6B0 with no serious obstructions in between. The only problem is going to be canceling without landing, since I'm not sure how low Boston can hear you in that area.

Burlington has a TRACON so reception would not be an issue there, but of course it's a lot farther from 6B0.

Other suggestions?

My thought was to file to a nearby field west of the hills with an IAP and cancel once in VFR conditions and proceed to 6B0 VFR.

RUT also looks like it has several approaches, and you could follow HWY 7 on up to 6B0

The only problem is going to be canceling without landing, since I'm not sure how low Boston can hear you in that area.

Hmm yeah that might be a problem. Burlington have a FSS?

Yup, that's another thought, thanks.

Although... unless I'm missing something, I don't see a sure way to cancel from down low there either... no TRACON, approach service is still Boston Center.

I'm headed out that way tomorrow. Probably my best bet is to just ask Boston how high you have to be to reach them around there.

Rutland has an RCO that connects to burlington radio who could cancel your IFR clearance for you.

I'm headed out that way tomorrow. Probably my best bet is to just ask Boston how high you have to be to reach them around there.

Taking a load of stuff? ;)
Good thing you have a Cardinal, so versatile!

Have fun!

Hmm yeah that might be a problem. Burlington have a FSS?
Actually they do... several frequencies, including one listed for Middlebury. That's actually a good idea, and something I don't usually think of because around here, FSS RCOs are OTS more often than not. That may not be true everywhere. Thanks! :thumbsup:

RUT also looks like it has several approaches, and you could follow HWY 7 on up to 6B0
Alot closer to the hills that way then from Ticonderoga. Not sure the best way to go. 6BO is tucked in right where the hills pop. I'd suggest just paying more for gas when it is IMC.

Taking a load of stuff? ;)
Good thing you have a Cardinal, so versatile!

Have fun!
Heh. This is for apartment hunting, so no place yet to take anything. I have a showing lined up outside Barre at 1700 tomorrow, and a promise from a colleague at the U to try to line up another.

When I move, I don't think I'll try to use the plane to shuttle my stuff as that could get expensive due to W&B issues. ;)

Probably rent a U-Haul with a dolly for my car, then drive the U-Haul back and fly my plane out. But it all depends on timing and whether I have a hangar spot at MPV by the time I'm ready to move. I might have to take the aluminum tube back to bring the Branded Bird out.

Way too far in the future... first things first.

Alot closer to the hills that way then from Ticonderoga. Not sure the best way to go. 6BO is tucked in right where the hills pop. I'd suggest just paying more for gas when it is IMC.
Yes, RUT is definitely not my first choice. You might be right, it might end up being cheaper just to pay the premium. What hurts is that it's not just when it's IMC, as I explained in my OP. Any ceiling lower than 3700 is going to nix a visual approach into 6B0.

Barre isn't a great town. Not really a murderous place but lots of petty crime, sex offenders, and other low grade lifestyles. In between the cows giving maple syrup and the pretty trees is this.

Barre isn't a great town. Not really a murderous place but lots of petty crime, sex offenders, and other low grade lifestyles. In between the cows giving maple syrup and the pretty trees is this.
Yep, I learned about that when I did my candidate visit at the U last month. It's all over the state, not just Barre. Binge drinking is also a problem, especially in the Northeast Kingdom.

But considering where I'm coming from, it doesn't seem that bad... (and if you don't know, plug my location into Skyvector or Foreflight).

edit: cows give maple syrup now? :lol:

Last edited:
Our son used to go to summer camp there, so we flew into Middlebury twice each summer, and faced the same issues. If you take a good look at the terrain around that airport, there isn't much in the way of a good option to get in when the weather is down. Yes, you can try following the road up from Rutland, but if you ever fly that route down low in good VFR conditions, you might think twice about flying it in marginal conditions. If you have an approach GPS, you'd probably be better off flying an approach into Ticonderoga and flying VFR from there. No IFR approach GPS? Land at Rutland and drive up.

Our son used to go to summer camp there, so we flew into Middlebury twice each summer, and faced the same issues. If you take a good look at the terrain around that airport, there isn't much in the way of a good option to get in when the weather is down. Yes, you can try following the road up from Rutland, but if you ever fly that route down low in good VFR conditions, you might think twice about flying it in marginal conditions. If you have an approach GPS, you'd probably be better off flying an approach into Ticonderoga and flying VFR from there. No IFR approach GPS? Land at Rutland and drive up.
Thanks, but see the OP. Ticonderoga was my first choice, Burlington my second, Rutland definitely down the list. Can you cancel at Ticonderoga without landing? If so, how?

Thanks, but see the OP. Ticonderoga was my first choice, Burlington my second, Rutland definitely down the list. Can you cancel at Ticonderoga without landing? If so, how?

Have one of the bluetooth headsets? Put FSS on your cellphone speed dial...

Just a suggestion. Disclaimer, this may or may not be a good idea. Or legal.

Last edited:
Start with Boston Center on 135.7, then try Burlington Radio via their Glens Falls RCO (122.2, 122.4, or xmt 122.1/listen 110.2). If you are so low you can't reach either, you probably don't want to try flying under the weather to Middlebury, but below about 3000 feet AGL, you can probably use your cell phone to cancel in the air (as long as the FCC isn't listening).

Have one of the bluetooth headsets? Put FSS on your cellphone speed dial...

Just a suggestion. Disclaimer, this may or may not be a good idea. Or legal.
I understand an earbud stuffed under the headset works too. Believe me, I had thought of that. Not sure i'd do it (or admit to doing it if I did).

I understand an earbud stuffed under the headset works too. Believe me, I had thought of that. Not sure i'd do it (or admit to doing it if I did).

Never tried the earbud method. Just would not want to be messing around with a bad connection or microphone difficulties. The BT connections work great through a headset and you can easily communicate. I can't see how it would be a distraction.

Its probably technically not legal since you still have a clearance until you cancel (some rules about cellphones when flying IFR I think)

Never tried the earbud method. Just would not want to be messing around with a bad connection or microphone difficulties. The BT connections work great through a headset and you can easily communicate. I can't see how it would be a distraction.
I've yet to try it either. Unfortunately, I only have an old DC 13.4 something. No BT connection. I know they sell BT transceivers that plug directly into the headset jacks, and you plug your headset into the unit. They're expensive though, and my one experience watching my first CFII struggle to get his to work (on MY dime) was pretty frustrating. :(

Start with Boston Center on 135.7, then try Burlington Radio via their Glens Falls RCO (122.2, 122.4, or xmt 122.1/listen 110.2). If you are so low you can't reach either, you probably don't want to try flying under the weather to Middlebury, but below about 3000 feet AGL, you can probably use your cell phone to cancel in the air (as long as the FCC isn't listening).
Thanks! That sounds reasonable. :)

Back