68 Super Viking

Mafoo

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mafoo
For those that have flown them, what do you think about the aircraft?

Contact Frank Holbert via the link below for the "glass is way more than half full" Super Viking view ;)

http://160knots.com/N4201B.htm

The Red Board posting history prior to his departure several years ago has the counterpoints.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the type either way since he left. :D

I am sure Dr. Dave will pipe up directly, but a well-maintained BSV (as they are known) is one of the great bargains of aircraft right now. No one will accuse them of being excessively roomy, but once you are strapped in, very comfortable.

Remarkable combination of very responsive controls and very stable.

The suggestion to contact Frank Holbert is good; and you can get all the BSV you can stand at the VikingPilots.com board, which is dedicated to (wait for it) Bellanca Super Vikings.

Certainly among the prettiest planes you'll see. And, as for the wood, if it's maintained well, the strength and properties of wood cannot be beat.

I am sure Dr. Dave will pipe up directly, but a well-maintained BSV (as they are known) is one of the great bargains of aircraft right now. No one will accuse them of being excessively roomy, but once you are strapped in, very comfortable.

Remarkable combination of very responsive controls and very stable.

The suggestion to contact Frank Holbert is good; and you can get all the BSV you can stand at the VikingPilots.com board, which is dedicated to (wait for it) Bellanca Super Vikings.

Certainly among the prettiest planes you'll see. And, as for the wood, if it's maintained well, the strength and properties of wood cannot be beat.

All of the above, but due to some poor aerodynamic design choices, is not as nearly as fast as 300 HP should make it. That, a somewhat quirky interior, and the unconventional mix of fabric and wood construction explains the limited market appeal and value price.

If you can deal with those items, it can be a solid choice.

Well, even if the aircraft I am interested in is perfect, the engine will need a MOH in a few years, and that's 30K.

So no thanks. Just to much plane for my wallet.

If you're in the East, you need to talk to Tom Witmer at N47, Witmer's Aircraft Services. He is the Bellanca guru of the East, and a good guy.

If you're in the East, you need to talk to Tom Witmer at N47, Witmer's Aircraft Services. He is the Bellanca guru of the East, and a good guy.

The plane is in Riverside. I talked with Dan at MARS. He was very helpful.

If you are looking at the same performance with less fuel burn, investigate the old Bonanza. Of course, pretty much any 6 cyl engine is going to run ~$25-30k for an overhaul, so if that is the criteria, go back to a C150 with an O-200 engine.

Why give up so soon Mafoo, if you don't have to have something in the immediate area, there are quite a few affordable BSV out there with low time that would last you many years without an overhaul. I know cause I did a lot of research on which single engine to buy and after weeks of researching the Bellanca came out as my number 1 choice. That was until I was let down and my father and my brother both want a twin-engine so it's probably either going to be a Cessna 310 or the Piper Seneca, depending on how long they really want to keep their wallets in the inverted position I'm hoping for the Seneca. hehe

I flew a '73 Super Viking for about 0.5. Handles like a dream, you just think about where you want it to go, and it goes there. Most well-harmonized controls of anything I've flown. Agree, it is a little cramped inside, and the panel layouts tend to be a little unconventional.

Back