6'3", Student Pilot, Colorado, Looking to purchase...

Michael Gallagher

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
gallagher80304
So what would you do? I have the means but don't want to waste $$$
I want a low wing because I have a hard time seeing out of high wing aircraft due to my size. My head hits the canopy in an RV-12. I am training in C-172's.
Need performance at altitude. My local airport is at FL 053.

Bristell LSA $$$$
Sling $$-$$$
Sport Cruiser $$-$$$
Evektor Harmony $$-$$$
Tecnam Astore $$-$$$
Magnus Fusion ??-??? (aerobatic and not sure if this is my plane or not)

Your post says student. Which certificate are you currently training for?

Sportcruiser….
It is what I ended up with, for partially that very reason. I do not feel crammed into it, and have plenty of space.

I am long-legged, the adjustable pedals makes in very comfortable for my 6’ body. I like a higher view over the panel, so I use cushions to boost my worn seat pad a couple of inches. Even with a padded head seat, I still have a couple of inches of head clearance.

I’m 6’5” - could not sit in a sling. Not even close.

182 much more comfortable than 172.

I can barely crawl into the low wing pipers; hate to crawl out after off field landing

LSA weight limitations might be an issue

ymmv

Well, if you’re looking for lsa, then consider the Bushcat. The semi-recumbent sports car seating, low panel, & side stick works well for heavier & taller pilots. Their vids mention having 6’4” customers who weigh up to 320. Cabin is about the widest lsa on the market. Pretty light wing (9) & power loading (13). Takeoff & landings are around 400 ft. At SL. Consult a Koch chart, but most runways in your area & at your altitude should work.

I’m 6’5” and put 1500 hours on our 182RG. Great plane for me. No crawling over seats, got to sit in an upright position, good visibility. Not as nice as the Velocity though. :D

The bigger(than RV12) 2 seat Van's are a good choice, too. My airport is at 7500 MSL with several mtn passes at 13k ft nearby. I had a Grumman Tiger that just did not climb well at all here. I bought an RV9A with 20 less hp than the Grumman but far better high altitude performance. Much faster and less fuel burn, too. Previous owner was 6`2" tall and 81 yrs old. He checked me out in the airplane. He seemed to fit in it very well. A 182 would be a great choice too, more convenient ingress/egress and a lot more useful load.

I’m 6’5” - could not sit in a sling. Not even close.

182 much more comfortable than 172.

I can barely crawl into the low wing pipers; hate to crawl out after off field landing

LSA weight limitations might be an issue

ymmv
The weight limitations should certainly be a top priority, unless one flies solo all the time. Many if not most LSAs have sub-500-lb. usefuls.

Navion. It's one of the few planes that my wife at 5'1" and me at 6'1" can both fly comfortably and see out of.

6’3” 240 lbs here. I fly a Grumman Tiger very comfortably, a Zenith 601XL with challenges with leg room (head room is fine), and am building a Zenith 750 after having flown a couple of them.

Back