61.75 Piggyback certificate

Shorrick Mk2

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Longing for Long Tien
Considering my impending Bahamas trip, a question for the seasoned instructors out here - does a US certificate issued under 61.75 need a BFR carried out with a FAA accredited FI to be valid, or is validity assessed on the basis of the BFR carried out for the original (non-US) certificate?!

Puzzled...

If you want to act as PIC on the strength of an FAA pilot certificate, regardless of issuance basis, you must meet the flight review requirement of 61.56. If you're doing that by a 61.56(a) flight review, that review must have been given and the endorsement signed by the holder of a valid FAA CFI certificate. So, unless your foreign pilot certificate is sufficient alone for the trip, your flight review from a non-FAA CFI won't help. See 61.41(b ).

How would anyone know if and when you had a BFR? You don't fly with your logbook with you do you?
It sounds like you're suggesting that one shouldn't worry about flying illegally if one thinks one will not be caught. I consider that an unwise and imprudent attitude. For starters, let's say you have an accident or incident, and either the FAA or your insurance company gets involved. Lack of a valid flight review could cost you your certificate and/or your coverage.

If you want to act as PIC on the strength of an FAA pilot certificate, regardless of issuance basis, you must meet the flight review requirement of 61.56. If you're doing that by a 61.56(a) flight review, that review must have been given and the endorsement signed by the holder of a valid FAA CFI certificate. So, unless your foreign pilot certificate is sufficient alone for the trip, your flight review from a non-FAA CFI won't help. See 61.41(b ).

Understood - thank you!

It sounds like you're suggesting that one shouldn't worry about flying illegally if one thinks one will not be caught. I consider that an unwise and imprudent attitude. For starters, let's say you have an accident or incident, and either the FAA or your insurance company gets involved. Lack of a valid flight review could cost you your certificate and/or your coverage.

I'm not suggesting that someone not comply with the responsibilities that goes along with maintaining ones airman certificate. I do re-current training twice a year with a PIC check and instrument check. However, I don't carry my endorsements with me when I fly. They are in my logbook at home. As I assume anyone with any experience aviation would do when not receiving instruction while flying. My point was that no one is checking to see if anyone has current flight review.

I'm not suggesting that someone not comply with the responsibilities that goes along with maintaining ones airman certificate. I do re-current training twice a year with a PIC check and instrument check. However, I don't carry my endorsements with me when I fly. They are in my logbook at home. As I assume anyone with any experience aviation would do when not receiving instruction while flying. My point was that no one is checking to see if anyone has current flight review.
Actively checking every pilot who comes by? No, and yet, there are any number of things which could lead to that check. Caveat aviator.

Back