61.123(h), Commercial Pilot Requirements,

bqmassey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Brandon
To be eligible for a commercial pilot certificate, you have to hold at least a private pilot certificate. (61.123(h))

Does that private pilot certificate have to be in the category and class of the commercial certificate that you're seeking?

Does that private pilot certificate have to be in the category and class of the commercial certificate that you're seeking?
Nothing in that regulation requires that. I see no regulatory reason a PP-RH couldn't go after initial commercial in Airplanes. However, meeting all the CP-A experience requirements without already having a PP-A rating might be difficult unless you have both your own plane and a courageous instructor.

That's the conclusion I came to when reading the regs. Wasn't sure if there was something written somewhere else that prohibited it.

I've always wanted to fly gliders. There's a glider club on the field I'm at and see them flying every weekend. I was looking at the requirements for a PP-glider, and saw that if you have 200 hours in powered aircraft, the requirements for comm-glider aren't much more than private.

However, meeting all the CP-A experience requirements without already having a PP-A rating might be difficult unless you have both your own plane and a courageous instructor.

:D yea, I suppose you're right.

That's the conclusion I came to when reading the regs. Wasn't sure if there was something written somewhere else that prohibited it.

I've always wanted to fly gliders. There's a glider club on the field I'm at and see them flying every weekend. I was looking at the requirements for a PP-glider, and saw that if you have 200 hours in powered aircraft, the requirements for comm-glider aren't much more than private.

:D yea, I suppose you're right.

Go for the commercial. Just a few more lights.

You are correct, however.
If you complete the Private glider as an add-on rating, no written test required, just the oral portion and PTS maneuvers.

If you complete the Commercial glider, there is a written exam, commercial glider, plus oral exam and PTS maneuvers. This would not be an add-on rating.

The details are in the PTS.
There are no differences in the maneuvers, just the performance tolerances.

Your certificate would now read on the front. commercial pilot.
On the back, Glider
private privileges , airplane single engine land.

You are correct, however.
If you complete the Private glider as an add-on rating, no written test required, just the oral portion and PTS maneuvers.

If you complete the Commercial glider, there is a written exam, commercial glider, plus oral exam and PTS maneuvers. This would not be an add-on rating.

The details are in the PTS.
There are no differences in the maneuvers, just the performance tolerances.

Your certificate would now read on the front. commercial pilot.
On the back, Glider
private privileges , airplane single engine land

I was enthused until this line, but may do it anyhow....after my PP-IA is done.

I was enthused until this line, but may do it anyhow....after my PP-IA is done.

You would not be enthused to have your certificate read "Commercial Pilot"?

Or the "Private privileges" part.

Thanks for the answers.

If I do this I'll most likely look for a commercial operation and knock it out in a hurry. My glider club thinks it would take the rest of the soaring season to finish the private rating. I'd rather do an accelerated course and be able to come back and get some soaring in before the end of the year.

Back