6 reschedules

Will Kumley

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Will
It only took 6 attempts to get a date that worked between the DPE, aircraft maintenance, weather, and my schedule. Was super nervous the past week as all weather reports were showing no clouds in the entire area. Actually lost a bit of sleep averaging 4 hours of sleep each night for three to four days prior to the checkride.
Day of check ride arrives and weather is great with few clouds at 2500 ft but dissipating fairly quickly. Personally I was a wreck. So nervous I thought I was going to get sick. Checked out the plane and had an uneventful flight to my DPE’s airport. Pretty sure that was a good first step to calming my nerves. Performed 2 really nice landings before parking on the ramp where I see the DPE with another person getting ready to go up. She informs me to expect a small delay as they are a little behind schedule.
During the delay I hit the diner and grab a bite of real food, actually thought during my meal that it was a good stress relieve to just be there enjoying a meal not concerned about the pending checkride.
After the other pilot gets back and gets debriefed I hear he didn’t fair well and will have to come again. Bummer, but it’s game time for me and I can’t let another persons actions rattle my nerves. Oral portion was realistically about an hour and a half but took 2 hours with some lighthearted banter mixed in. Not a single issue that needs to be discussed further.
Time to fly, sky is still amazingly clear, virtually no turbulence in the air and winds are less than 6 knots. Couldn’t have asked for better conditions. A few minor hiccups in flight but I noticed all of them and made corrections as necessary to fix the situation. 95% of the time I think I was making corrections before even getting out of the ACS specs but I still verbalized what I was doing and why. Short field landing was on point but I could’ve gotten on the brakes sooner. No biggie, she didn’t tell me I failed and I put it behind me. All other evolutions went well and landings were within spec.
We taxi back to the ramp, she tells me I did great and I’m a pilot!!!!!

Flight home was also uneventful with a smooth landing at my home airport. It was later than expected so the office was closed. Thankfully someone was inside and let me in so I could return all the books. Pretty sure my instructor was still flying as he congratulated me over the radio and his car was in the parking lot as I left. My legs were like jello for the rest of the night.
Slept like a baby last night and woke up knowing I had prepared properly for yesterday. Now I’m crossing my fingers that my sons allergies stop messing with him so I can take him up Thursday before we have to drive him back to college. He’s home on spring break and hasn’t flown with me yet. Both the wife and daughter got a couple flights with the instructor up front during my training.

Congratulations! I got lucky in that the weather was juuuuust good enough to do mine. I can't imagine sweating it out through multiple reschedules.

Congratulations! I got lucky in that the weather was juuuuust good enough to do mine. I can't imagine sweating it out through multiple reschedules.
The reschedule wasn’t the worst part, it was the time between each of them. CFI told me to schedule my checkride back in late October. First available was early December.

Congrats.

If an oral or a flight runs significantly wrong, most CFIs start to think it’s probably not going well... :)

When you saw them that far behind, barring a maintenance or weather issue... it was probably a sign the other applicant struggled through the oral.

Congrats.

If an oral or a flight runs significantly wrong, most CFIs start to think it’s probably not going well... :)

When you saw them that far behind, barring a maintenance or weather issue... it was probably a sign the other applicant struggled through the oral.
Yeah, I figured that after the fact. I was too stressed over my own checkride to notice how his could’ve been going. Kinda feel bad for the guy as I was talking to his wife that flew in to pick him up. She made it sound like it wasn’t his first attempt and hoped it went better than before.

Congrats!!
Next challenge: keep flying, stay proficient.
Thanks, I signed up for the schools flight club after my first solo and to justify the expense need to fly at least 3 hours a month. Not really enough to stay proficient, but it is enough to justify finding places to fly my wife to on the weekends. The plan from the beginning was to get mediocre hamburgers on expensive dates.

Thanks, I signed up for the schools flight club after my first solo and to justify the expense need to fly at least 3 hours a month. Not really enough to stay proficient, but it is enough to justify finding places to fly my wife to on the weekends. The plan from the beginning was to get mediocre hamburgers on expensive dates.
I thought the plan was to get cheap dates with mediocre hamburgers.

Back