6/24 FAA/FCC meeting on ELT

poadeleted20

Deleted
A reliable source inside the FAA reports the following regarding a meeting yesterday:
Attendees included FAA, FCC and NTIA.

The FCC is aware of the industry/FAA concerns and problems this proposed rule would cause. As written the changes to Sections 87.195 and 87.199 do not become effective until 60 days after they are published in the Federal Register. The FCC has stated that they now have no intent to publish it in the Federal Register.

The FAA intends to draft a letter of objection and send it through NTIA to the FCC. Since the FCC is a separate agency with their own authority this letter is the means for us to notify the FCC of our concerns. We anticipate the FCC will decide not to implement change to these sections and leave them as currently written.

Secure from General Quarters, set the normal at-sea watch.

Last edited:
I sure would have liked to be a fly on the wall at that meeting!

Not I -- too much chance of being hit by the splatter.

I've been at several of that kind of meeting between those two agencies. While it ain't exactly a ballroom dance, it's certainly more cordial than the :incazzato: **** that must be all over the walls on Independence Ave. after the FCC's action became known.

I've been at several of that kind of meeting between those two agencies. While it ain't exactly a ballroom dance, it's certainly more cordial than the :incazzato: **** that must be all over the walls on Independence Ave. after the FCC's action became known.
Kinda like when Kentucky Governor Julian Carroll went to the national governor's conference, and in his absence, Lt Gov Thema Stovall took advantage of a clause in the state constitution which automatically gave the Lt Gov full gubernatorial power any time the Gov left the state (probably left over from the days before the Pony Express existed). She took the opportunity to call a special session of the State Legislature to talk about some pet project of hers.

One of the reporters at WHAS Radio (one the governer knew well) called the Governor's hotel in Las Vegas at 8 am Louisville time (6 am Las Vegas time) and they actually put him through to Gov Carroll's room. The Gov was sound asleep after a very late night of, well, whatever, and was awakened by the call.

Reporter: "Good morning, Governor, this is [Joe Reporter] of WHAS Radio News. Do you have any comment about what Lt Gov Stovall did last night?"
Gov: "Huh? What time is it?"
Reporter: "8 am in Louisville, and this is [Joe Reporter] of WHAS Radio. Lt Gov Stovall has convened a special session of the legislature to discuss [whatever it was that she wanted]."
Gov: (loud and agitated) "That [female dog] did WHAT?"

And yes, the reporter having clearly identified himself (twice, just to be sure), they quoted the Governor verbatim on the morning newscast. Also made the headlines of the Louisville Courier-Journal (owned by the same gentleman who owned WHAS -- Barry Bingham), but not until the next morning (I miss the immediacy of good local radio news).

So, I'm wondering exactly what Randy Babbit's first words were when someone told him the FCC had just outlawed most of the ELT's in the fleet.

Back