5th of 57, KGUP

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Gallup Municipal Airport, Gallup, NM (KGUP:)

Gallup Muncipal Airport is the westernmost airport in New Mexico with fuel. On a recent trip returning from California, I decided to stop here as a fuel stop to check the place out. The airport is really nice, and well maintained by New Mexico standards.

Before I finished the long taxi to the FBO, located at the far end of the ramp, I could see the lineman waiting to marshall me to a parking spot for fuel. I had him fill me up while I went inside to look around and get out of the cold.

The inside of Gallup Flying Service, the FBO at Gallup, is really nice also. Very comfortable couches and satellite tv inside. I was greeted by the counterperson named Cindy, who offered me a courtesy car to get some dinner as soon as I approached her. I declined as I needed to head home, and instead paid for my fuel and sat down to watch some TV and relax for a minute or two.

The fuel price at Gallup is $3.85 a gallon, which is expensive, but as this is the last airport to get fuel before leaving New Mexico, and the first airport to have fuel in almost 100 miles, it may be a necessary stop. There is a sign in the FBO that explains why no one answered my calls to the Unicom about the status of the FBO. It states that since they've recently installed an AWOS, they will not be monitoring the Unicom anymore. Its a shame.

Gallup looked like it may be a city with some opportunities for fun, which surprised me. I've never met anyone from Gallup, and certainly never had a desire to travel there for any reason, but the city seemed fairly large. I-40 goes right through the city, so it may have grown because of that.

There is a restricted airspace, R-5117, just southeast of the airport. To avoid, simply stay over or north of I-40.

In general, Gallup seems to be an airport in the middle of nowhere, but there is a fairly large city nearby, so it could be a fun destination. Had I not come by at night, I would have tried to find something to do. With the courtesy car, it certainly seems there must be something to do here. It is well maintained, with very wide and long runways.

GALLUP QUICK FACTS:
Airport Elevation: 6472ft
Runways 6/24: 7316'x100', asphalt surface
CTAF: 122.95
AWOS: 118.375
Nick's NOTAMS: Unicom unmonitored, as AWOS has been installed. No one answers calls to Unicom. Restricted airspace just southeast of airport. Stay over or north of I40 to avoid.

PHOTOS:
#1 - My plane, parked on the ramp (anyone wanna pick something wrong with this parking job? :) )
#2 - The front of the FBO at night. Didn't turn out too good. That's my breath in the foreground.
#3 - The FBO again at night, a bit closer.

How cool that you went there. I was checking out some places I'd like to go today, and Gallup came to mind (based purely on the name).
Man, you guys sure have some elevated airports out that way. Guess you really need to lean your mixture during the ol run-up for max performance.
I can't wait to fly out there!

deafsound said:
Man, you guys sure have some elevated airports out that way. Guess you really need to lean your mixture during the ol run-up for max performance.

Yes we do. And believe me, its noticeable when we don't lean. Takeoffs aren't much fun when you're not generating anywhere near full power.

SkyHog said:
With the courtesy car, it certainly seems there must be something to do here. It is well maintained, with very wide and long runways.
If you're interested in old westerns there's a historic hotel in town that was the headquarters for filming some of them. They have movie memoribilia and autographed pictures on display. Gallup also has a lot of Indian jewelry stores if you're into stuff like that.

deafsound said:
How cool that you went there. I was checking out some places I'd like to go today, and Gallup came to mind (based purely on the name).

If you're interested in old westerns there's a historic hotel in town that was the headquarters for filming some of them. They have movie memoribilia and autographed pictures on display. Gallup also has a lot of Indian jewelry stores if you're into stuff like that.

SkyHog... the modern day 'High Planes' Drifter on his steed ?

Last edited:
Is there a plane in the first picture? Looks more like a dark horse at midnight to me...

Back