5K Report

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Well I woke up this morning to a nice cool rain, race started at 830 AM, registration before. Got my number, tried to stay dry. Lined up and bang we were off. Me and Jody (stepmother) were off more like a herd of turtles than anything, but off we went. Like Forrest Gump, just kept running, following course, trying not to be in last place. About 3/4 of a mile of the course was on a gravel road, which was rain soaked and soft so that was no fun, but in general the course was downhill. Rain stopped about halfway through for us. We both finished, side by side, after about 40 minutes I think. First mile was done at a too fast pace of 9:50, second two were definitely slower. I was very happy that we both made it without having to walk, that was the goal. Some Lessons learned:

Low Density Altitudes help performance a lot
Tie Shoes BEFORE race starts
Running in the rain really isnt that bad

Pictures to come Monday night probably, at home on crappy dial up right now.

The run was part of Esthervilles "Sweet Corn Days" weekend long celebration. Had free sweet corn up town and car show, several other activites/entertainment. Made sure to attend the burn out this evening. Only time of the year the car crazies get to burn rubber and the police sanction it! AFAIK, winner hands down in volume of smoke was a Mercedes Benz convertible, SLK-30 or something like that. will add pic later. All in all, turning out to be a good weekend. Be back in full force by tuesday.

tonycondon said:
Well I woke up this morning to a nice cool rain, race started at 830 AM, registration before. Got my number, tried to stay dry. Lined up and bang we were off. Me and Jody (stepmother) were off more like a herd of turtles than anything, but off we went. Like Forrest Gump, just kept running, following course, trying not to be in last place. About 3/4 of a mile of the course was on a gravel road, which was rain soaked and soft so that was no fun, but in general the course was downhill. Rain stopped about halfway through for us. We both finished, side by side, after about 40 minutes I think. First mile was done at a too fast pace of 9:50, second two were definitely slower. I was very happy that we both made it without having to walk, that was the goal. Some Lessons learned:

Low Density Altitudes help performance a lot
Tie Shoes BEFORE race starts
Running in the rain really isnt that bad

Pictures to come Monday night probably, at home on crappy dial up right now.

The run was part of Esthervilles "Sweet Corn Days" weekend long celebration. Had free sweet corn up town and car show, several other activites/entertainment. Made sure to attend the burn out this evening. Only time of the year the car crazies get to burn rubber and the police sanction it! AFAIK, winner hands down in volume of smoke was a Mercedes Benz convertible, SLK-30 or something like that. will add pic later. All in all, turning out to be a good weekend. Be back in full force by tuesday.
Fastest time I ever ran was in a light rain the whole way.

Here are some pictures. First is me and Jody (stepmom) after finishing the 5K. Soaked from rain but happy. Results are here www.esthervilledailynews.com Basically we got last, 35ish minutes. oh well. Second is said Mercedes SLK-whatever burning rubber, I was impressed.

Attachments

• DSC00646.JPG
    DSC00646.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
  • DSC00676.JPG
    DSC00676.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
That's great Tony. I ran my first 5K last October and I've run three since then . Even though I always finish near the back of the pack, there's something exciting about being part of the group and dueling it out with the people in your pace group. If you keep training you'll find that your times improve dramatically. I took 2 minutes off my time between my first and second race.

Back