'59 straight tail 172 opinions needed

kevin47881

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Time to fly!
Good day all. Looked at a '59 172 today and would like comments, both pro and con of ownership.

Here are the details:

TTAF 3,950
SFREM 1630
Continental 0-300-A
Full gyro panel with large venturi (gotta admit it looks like an air horn :D )
KX155 w/ gs
KI209 indicater w/ gs
Narco AT50A encoded transponder
3 lite marker beacon receiver
Recent paint
New sheepskin over vinyl front seats
Auto fuel STC (and using it)
Minor hail damage on top surfaces pre re-paint
New windshield
Missing log books prior to 1964
No damage history
Going for annual next week (still in annual)

While I realize this is no speed demon, I'm looking for your opinion as this would be our first plane.

The VREF is about $28,200 (includes like new paint and interior) but I did not deduct for the hail damage or missing logs as I really don't know what price to put on those items.

Asking price is $29,500 OBO but after talking with the owner today he seems willing to negotiate. When talking about the taxes for the sale he said "let's run the numbers at $25k". I can assume from that statement he would like $25k out of it.

Your thoughts and exprerience are appreciated.

Hey Kevin, doesn't look to bad to me but what do i know.Biggest problem i see is wing is in wrong place (lol).Also you know TBO on Cont A-300 is only 1800 hrs. BTW kevin if this falls throw the guy that owns the airport where i get my annual done has 172 my mechanic says is NICE ,he's asking 29.5K for it. Let Me know and i'll go take Pics. and get the info on it. Dave G.
P.S. give me a call 717-443-2308

sounds pretty nice to me. since the lost logbooks are from so long ago it really shouldnt affect it much. the 6 cyl engines run really smooth, but do have a lower TBO and you have two more cylinders to have to worry about. But those old 172s fly pretty nice. people who have em love em.

Appreciate the feedback. My primary concern is with the engine. Guess I'll wait to see what the annual report looks like.
Dave, I'll give you a call to discuss the 172 you wrote about.
Thanks y'all.

Get the seller to split the difference of an overhaul and go for it. Those older 172s carry more, fly faster, and handle nicer than the newer models. Plus you'll get to park in Vintage and Classic at Airventure and Sun 'n Fun.

The first plane I flew other than rentals was a '58 172. Nice, nice planes. Six cylinder O-300's are a best-kept secret. Manual flaps with a 40 degree notch...two thumbs up.

Back