530W didn't identify ILS

bkspero

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
bkspero
Flew a practice ILS approach today intending to use the ILS in my Nav1 GNS530W. But it wouldn't identify the ILS on the screen, and I couldn't hear the ILS identifier on the Nav1 audio. Radio was tuned to the proper frequency and the CDI was set to VLOC and the audio panel was set to listen to both Nav1 and Nav2 (and the volumes were up).

I switched to my Nav2 (KX155) and could identify the Morse code and fly the approach using it. Interestingly, the Nav1 CDI indication agreed with the Nav2 CDI all the way down the glideslope.

On my way back to my home airport I tuned a couple of VORs and the GNS530W Nav1 identified them just fine. And I could tune and hear the VOR's morse code on the Nav1 audio. But I passed within about 8 miles of another airport with an ILS where I usually can identify the ILS on the opposite end of the runway (am I tuning the backcourse??). This time the GNS530W did not identify the ILS.

What could be wrong? How can the radio automatically identify 2 VORs, but not 2 iLSs...including one where I was flying the glideslope with another radio?

Did you try adjusting the squelch? The G1000 system I fly, I sometimes am having to push the squelch button to hear some Nav freq's.

edit.. I misread your post. you mean the 530 isn't showing it, not that you cant hear it. :mad2:

Last edited:
Push the nav volumn button, ID logo will light on screen. Push comm volume button and TX will light on the screen to advise the comm squelch is off.

Interesting, my guess, and it's just a guess, you have a nav antenna/cable issue on the 530w. VORs are a much stronger signal than Localizers.

BTW, the Glideslope is an unrelated signal to the Localizer on an ILS, they just happen to perform and get displayed in concert.

Last edited:
Push comm volume button and TX RX will light on the screen to advise the comm squelch is off.

FTFY. (But not really relevant to OP's question.)

Got to fly again and this time all worked as it should. Either an intermittent hardware issue, a software glitch that cleared upon restart, or I re-bumped the Nav volume knob and turned id back on again.

My pride wants it to be one of the first two. My gut tells me the latter.

Thanks all for your input.

Back