505b Lycoming crankshaft question

U

Unregistered

Lesson learned: always read your mechanics maintenance entries!

http://www.google.com/url?url=http:...CMOwNQ&usg=AFQjCNHNZMUWlDOBaNZ2UHpX8UJLWx3qLQ

A couple of years ago I bought a plane that had pits in the crankshaft ID noted in the logs. That bought me into doing the fluorescent dye penetrant (FDP) inspection of the ID every 100 hours. Last year I asked my regular maintenance shop to do the inspection, as they have on the two previous occasions. When they said it was done I picked up my plane and went on my way. Later that month I got my monthly bill summary from them that included the signed sticker to go in my logs with the associated log book entry for the FDP inspection. I put it in my logs and didn't think anything of it. Now, many months later, I went into my logs to see when it was due next. The entry is for the once every 5 year inpection and it notes that NO CORROSION was found and it is not due for five more years!

Ok, now what.
1- Do I go get a new FDP and continue on my merry way?
2- Do I contact the shop and verify that they actually did the FDP and just sent me the wrong sticker?
3- Do I call it a miracle and don't bother doing 100 hour inspections from here on out since my plane is "cured"?
4- Do I fess up to the powers that be, get the FDP done, and take my lumps?

How the heck do I handle this?

#2 then #1 if the FDP wasn't done or if you don't like the answer. The shop may have new information about the AD you're not aware of.

That is the route I thought also. I suspect he didn't do the FDP, but no way to know without asking. I'll scan in the last inspection (the one in question) and the previous one (the last documented FDP), and email them to him.

We'll get this straightened out.

If it was only a few months ago, you can probably find out from the shop exactly what they did. However, the big question is whether this was done just because you felt like it, or whether it was required by AD 98-02-08. If it was required, the writeup is inadequate and your airplane isn't legal to fly. To see if your engine is included, go to this list. For the full AD, see here.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back