50 feet! Runway incursion in Denver

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- A Frontier Airlines jet attempting to land Friday at Denver International Airport came within 50 feet of a smaller charter plane that had inadvertently entered the runway, federal aviation officials said.

The Frontier crew spotted the Key Lime Air plane in time, aborted the landing and continued flying until it could land the jetliner a short time later, authorities said. No injuries were reported.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/05/close.call.ap/index.html

:hairraise: Once again, Daley would blame GA.

Talk about position and hold :hairraise:

Where was the tower on this?

News reports that the accident was averted "when an alarm went off" identifying conflicting traffic. I wonder if this was from a ground radar system?

Thanks for the links, Dave. I think I recall reading about the ground traffic radar when it went in at DIA, as well as "why isn't it installed" on a number of other airports. I think some of the SoCal airports were mentioned as "should have it" ... but that was a while ago.

50 feet separation?

How far apart do they have to be.... to NOT be an incursion?:dunno:

I know airports where the hold short markings are only about 50 feet from the runway...:rolleyes:

50 feet separation?

How far apart do they have to be.... to NOT be an incursion?:dunno:

I know airports where the hold short markings are only about 50 feet from the runway...:rolleyes:

Yeahbut, I think they mean the landing jet came within 50 feet VERTICALLY of the RJ ON THE RUNWAY. That's a different story when one plane is IN IS FLIGHT vs. just taxiing. These are jets with passsengers on them, not the Blue Angels.

Yeahbut, I think they mean the landing jet came within 50 feet VERTICALLY of the RJ ON THE RUNWAY. That's a different story when one plane is IN IS FLIGHT vs. just taxiing. These are jets with passsengers on them, not the Blue Angels.

Yep, the bizjet went onto an active runway while another plane was landing and the near collision was around 50 feet from being a collision. Could have been a lot worse.

Back