4th of 57 - E80

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Alexander Airport, Belen, NM (E80)

Today, I decided to take a fun short flight between classes to head down to Alexander Airport in Belen.

Alexander Airport, located on the top of a mesa, is hard to miss. The blacktop stands out from more than 20 miles away, as it is amongst scarce houses and population.

There is a very sizeable dip and rise to the runway. This is the only place I, personally, have ever seen use a pulsating VASI, also! Traffic was scarce, as it usually is when I come down in this direction. Be sure to monitor the CTAF, because Mid Valley Airpark is only a few miles away, and its nice to know when traffic is entering their pattern, as it could conflict with your pattern also.

There is a restaurant on field, but it appears that it is closed, since there was no one there, and it didn't appear than anyone had been there for a while. A bit sad to see, an FBO stands with a sign promising fuel for $1.32. It is obvious that the FBO doesn't sell fuel anymore, and instead is a maintenance hanger, but the sign remains, and reminds me of a time...wait... I've never seen fuel that cheap.

On landing roll out, I was amazed to see cows all over the runway area, but not on the runway itself. It looks like there is a fence to keep them out, but they must have somehow found a way around it. I'd suggest a keen lookout for cows on the airport.

Overall, this is a fun airport with some new things associated with it for me. The cows are a nice diversion to see, and the dip in the runway can make you feel like the runway is disappearing below you. The runway is plenty long and plenty wide, difficulty is minimum. I like this place, but its not centrally located to anything, unless you or a friend live nearby.

ALEXANDER QUICK FACTS:
Airport Elevation: 5194ft
Runways 3/21: 6601'x60', asphalt surface
CTAF: 122.9
Nick's NOTAMS: Cows on and in the vicinity of the field (moo!). BIG Dip in runway, not noted elsewhere.

PHOTOS:
#1 - The airport, from about 5 miles out. Its a bit harder to spot this low, but I swear, it can be seen from at least 20 miles out.
#2 - Short Final, Runway 3. Notice the junkyards off the approach end.
#3 - Cows, roaming free.
#4 - More cows, other side of runway
#5 - Sigh - $1.32 a gallon. Not for real though.

Last edited:
I love this column.
Great photos. I can't wait to get back out that way.

A quick note for your notams, the resturaunt is open on weekends, or was when I was last there. Great write up's Nick, keep 'em coming.
Don

Cool Nick,
Keep giving the Cherokee a workout!!

Back