47 Bonanza

Archimago

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Archimago
so there is a 1947 Bonanza for sale with extra parts and electric prop.
My question:
Are there any gottchas in purchasing an aircraft of this vintage? Are bonanza parts hard to come by?
I’m not versed in Bo’s so should I steer clear?
Thanks

The 47 has the a different spar, e-series engine, differential steering instead of a steerable nosewheel, and the beech props are basically scrap at this point if something breaks. The Hartzell upgrade is in the ~$30k ballpark if I remember correctly. Read up on the myriad of AD's, too.

It really just depends on what you want in an airplane. They aren't the best performers, but most people say the early Bonanzas are the best flying ones. I highly suggest you join Beechtalk, and buy this book: https://squareup.com/store/american-bonanza-society/item/b-e-series

I think the pricey tail AD applies too?
Yea, initially it was a 144mph Vne limitation, but I think all that were affected and didn’t comply by the deadline (05ish iirc) became paperweights. I’d honestly spend the extra coin and get a J/K model with an IO-470. I bet it would end up being about the same total cost in the long run and the J/K are much more useful airplanes.

Thanks to all, the price was good but i think I'd be biting off too much on this one.

I think the pricey tail AD applies too?

The tail AD for the early planes (pre C model) is different than the later ones. Either way it isn’t a big deal.

The Hartzell prop conversion was priced at $36k 5 years ago and I’m sure the price has only went up. The E series Bonanzas are indeed some of the nicest flying airplanes but the only way I’d own another one is with a Hartzell MV prop.

Thanks to all, the price was good but i think I'd be biting off too much on this one.

There’s a reason the prices on the early planes is low. They’re vintage airplanes with vintage airplane problems yet you don’t get recognized as having a vintage airplane the same way you would if you showed up in something like a Cessna 195 or the like.

Depends on the price, if the math fits your budget hanging a big bore engine off the front with a proper prop would be sweet.

There was a guy at my old airport with a V tail like that, IMO if you’re going to do the Bo thing that’s how to do it.

Depends on the price, if the math fits your budget hanging a big bore engine off the front with a proper prop would be sweet.

There was a guy at my old airport with a V tail like that, IMO if you’re going to do the Bo thing that’s how to do it.

I don’t believe the ‘47 is eligible for engine upgrades.

I don’t believe the ‘47 is eligible for engine upgrades.

If that’s the case, better be a really low price, or like perfect otherwise and still priced low

Back