406 ELT

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
I have not upgraded to the newer 406 ELT and would like suggestions as to a good unit to install in my Beech Sport.

I have shopped around and was thinking of the ACK E-04. Battery seems expensive. $150 for 5 years.

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

What's your current ELT and GPS? Some have a upgrade kit where you basically just pop the 21.5 out and pop the 406 in, replace the antenna with a new once which uses the same mount, run a line to your GPS and bada bing.

The better option for real survival post crash, would be to save the money and just get a SPOT or spider tracks and keep it on your person. Also useful for hiking or boating.

The ACK is a direct replacement of their old D cell ELT. That makes the install easier. The E-04 is gps ready and will connect to almost any handheld for gps enabling. If you don't have a panel switch now that'll be the most difficult part if a 406 install. You'll have to install the panel switch and run a cable back to the ELT. Pay attention to the structural mount requirements, too. Your old mount location may not comply. 1/10th of an inch of movement with 100# of pull in the most flexible direction is the standard.

Be sure to register it!

If you want info on Spidertracks I can hook you up on that. It is not easily carried on your person and there's no readon it should be. I've used them for about 10 years and like the service but it doesn't replace the need for a good ELT.

Last edited:
Check out this one:

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...15-09-21/acr-unveils-low-cost-406-mhz-elt-345

I've heard they're pretty good. ANd much less money. Not acceptable in Canada yet. We're awful slow to get stuff approved here.

I think all 406 ELTs will have expensive batteries. The TSO demands are pretty stringent.

Just plugging an ACK E-04 into the old E-01 tray probably won't meet the RTCA requirements for rigidity of the mount. The installation manual will have something to say about that, but of course they like to give the impression that it's a plug-and-play deal so you'll buy it. The conscientious installer will be making some mods to meet the requirements, and the costs add up.

In short, the ELT must be able to withstand a 100-G pull in all directions without appreciable deflection (0.1 inches), and so does the antenna. Just poking the antenna's base though an aluminum skin won't work, and the old ELT base, riveted to the skin or some flimsy shelf, will move around enough to maybe trigger a false activation. And the antenna cable should not cross any factory joints, to minimize the possibility of it being torn apart when the joint separates in a crash.

What's your current ELT and GPS? Some have a upgrade kit where you basically just pop the 21.5 out and pop the 406 in, replace the antenna with a new once which uses the same mount, run a line to your GPS and bada bing.

The better option for real survival post crash, would be to save the money and just get a SPOT or spider tracks and keep it on your person. Also useful for hiking or boating.

I'm picking up what you are putting down

Check out this one:

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...15-09-21/acr-unveils-low-cost-406-mhz-elt-345

I've heard they're pretty good. ANd much less money. Not acceptable in Canada yet. We're awful slow to get stuff approved here.

I think all 406 ELTs will have expensive batteries. The TSO demands are pretty stringent.

Just plugging an ACK E-04 into the old E-01 tray probably won't meet the RTCA requirements for rigidity of the mount. The installation manual will have something to say about that, but of course they like to give the impression that it's a plug-and-play deal so you'll buy it. The conscientious installer will be making some mods to meet the requirements, and the costs add up.

In short, the ELT must be able to withstand a 100-G pull in all directions without appreciable deflection (0.1 inches), and so does the antenna. Just poking the antenna's base though an aluminum skin won't work, and the old ELT base, riveted to the skin or some flimsy shelf, will move around enough to maybe trigger a false activation. And the antenna cable should not cross any factory joints, to minimize the possibility of it being torn apart when the joint separates in a crash.

Mounting for me is not an issue, just want and economical and easy to maintain unit.

Thanks for the input, would like to hear more from others on what they like.

Back